XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my XSR for a few days but have been riding it once or twice a day, and anytime I'm on it for more than 30-40 minutes at a time, my right wrist is getting pretty sore from holding the throttle. Part of this is just adjustment (my prior bike's handlebars are taller, more swept back, and less perpendicular to the frame, horizonally speaking), but the XSR700 is only my second motorcycle so I am not super knowledgeable on the best path to take here. Should I:

- Look for better grips which are thicker, gel, or just generally more cushioning?
- Rotate the factory handlebars up and forward and adjust the controls to their proper places?
- Consider a different style of handlebars?
- Stop putting weight on hands (I'm already working on this one)
- Suck it up and endure the pain and eventual numbness?

I would like to be able to ride to my parents' house which is 3 hours away without discomfort, so I am looking for ways to fix my wrist pain. I know it's not just the action of holding the throttle open, as on my old bike I could do 4-5 hours of riding with zero pain at all.

Thanks for any suggestions you all might have!
Aaron

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
You'll probably find you get used to the new handlebar position fairly quickly.....but you could try SW Motech's 20mm bar risers, made specifically for the XSR700. They come in silver or black and don't require replacing or re-routing any cables. They are expensive, though, at about 95 GBP (which is why I haven't fitted them to my XSR!). I fitted bar risers to a Triumph Sprint which was giving me a similar experience - they did the job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've only had my XSR for a few days but have been riding it once or twice a day, and anytime I'm on it for more than 30-40 minutes at a time, my right wrist is getting pretty sore from holding the throttle. Part of this is just adjustment (my prior bike's handlebars are taller, more swept back, and less perpendicular to the frame, horizonally speaking), but the XSR700 is only my second motorcycle so I am not super knowledgeable on the best path to take here. Should I:

- Look for better grips which are thicker, gel, or just generally more cushioning?
- Rotate the factory handlebars up and forward and adjust the controls to their proper places?
- Consider a different style of handlebars?
- Stop putting weight on hands (I'm already working on this one)
- Suck it up and endure the pain and eventual numbness?

I would like to be able to ride to my parents' house which is 3 hours away without discomfort, so I am looking for ways to fix my wrist pain. I know it's not just the action of holding the throttle open, as on my old bike I could do 4-5 hours of riding with zero pain at all.

Thanks for any suggestions you all might have!
Aaron
Try ABM Booster Touring #0410 .
It's the handlebar you're searching for.
I let you see it with our friend Google or in my XSR's pics : https://www.xsr700forums.com/forum/218-yamaha-xsr700-pictures/8121-hotwheels-xsr-3.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I have put about 425 miles on the bike since last Wednesday and am definitely starting to get more used to it. I also bought a Crampbuster which seems to be helping a lot for the straight stretches.

I will be making the 150 mile trek to central Oregon next week, and see how it goes. I'm planning on taking 3-4 hours each way so that I have plenty of time to stop, stretch, and rest. If I'm still having soreness after this trip, I'll look at trying out the risers, I think, first. I am 6'3" so I wouldn't be shocked if I need the handlebars to be at a higher position.

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
If you do fit the bar risers, let us know how you get on with them. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I first got the bike I used to get a slight wrist pain and my a$$ would get numb after more than an hour riding, I got used to it very fast.
I can now ride several hours straight with no discomfort at all so I would say you'll get used to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts