XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!
I finally bought the motorcycle of my dreams and joined you. I'm driving the 2020 Xtribute series.
I just drove 1000 km and 2 things caught my attention.

Vibration begins to occur on the handlebar after 5000 RPM. This shows itself in every gear, regardless of the speed driven, entirely due to the engine speed. After 6000-7000 RPM, the clear image in the mirrors is completely lost. The Xtribute series uses a different and thinner handlebar. Does this vibration exist on all XSR 700s? I would be glad if you share your experiences.

Another issue is the engine operating temperature. I see the coolant temperature is constantly 100-105 Grad Celcius. ( 212-221 Fahrenheit ) Since the motorcycle is still in break-in , it may be normal for it to run hot. What are the average operating temperatures of your motorcycles on the highway and in the city?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not sure about vibration, but the temperature sounds like it's high. My 18 XSR runs around 176-180. If it's hot and I am not moving much (traffic) the temp may range up over 200 and the fan will run. The ambient temperatures where you are may also affect it. Still if it is under warranty I'd want the thermostat checked out for proper function and also if the fan isn't running at that temp I'd be having that checked out too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the bike is showroom new follow the break-in. I would ride the bike stock until I'm sure I have no issues, before any significant mods.

Temperature -
Read all @KLX678 advice on this site, it's the gold. Use warranty to correct issues.

Vibration - adjust your handle bars to your preferred ride position - what I'm suggesting next for your consideration is your riding habits are the vibration discomfort issue. Riders want to practice releasing their tight grip on the bars. More important is a rider gets their weight off the bars. If you look closely at your experience, you can alter the way you ride to hold your body in any position with your legs and your back muscles. Goal is free the arms and the bars so rider can counter-steer the bike with small precise input.

Death grip and upper body weight put on the bars is a tough way to ride. A bike is to be counter-steered (look for videos online if you need help with what that is). Be knowingly aware of this, and change how rider rides.

Last first steps
Send the ECU to 2WDW for a flash. Temperature for fan ON is reset, but that's small benefit compared to everything quality maps do for this bike.

Progrip rally grips part #pa071400go02-102

Quality mirrors from CRG, the Arrow bar end mirrors will not vibrate

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re the running temperature its a tasty 30`c out there in sunny Lincolnshire today. A 50 mile blast is more than enough in this heat and the bike hovered around the 80`c mark. So there is defo something not quite right with yours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I rode from NE Lincs to Whitby on Thursday - about 95 miles each way and I thought about this thread so checked the engine temp a few times. When running at a constant 50-60mph my temperature was like "nickmac73": 80°C but if I got stuck behind a tractor (there were many) or going slowly through town it would rise to 100°C. The bike was reporting an ambient temp of 30°C.

Vibration - I notice it when the bike is under load and it vibrates more than my SV (more than I expected) but I wouldn't call it excessive although the mirrors are blurry at 70mph. Mine is a 2022 model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rode from NE Lincs to Whitby on Thursday - about 95 miles each way and I thought about this thread so checked the engine temp a few times. When running at a constant 50-60mph my temperature was like "nickmac73": 80°C but if I got stuck behind a tractor (there were many) or going slowly through town it would rise to 100°C. The bike was reporting an ambient temp of 30°C.

Vibration - I notice it when the bike is under load and it vibrates more than my SV (more than I expected) but I wouldn't call it excessive although the mirrors are blurry at 70mph. Mine is a 2022 model.
Temperature seems normal in traffic jams, considering the weather is 35-40 degrees Celsius when I'm riding. I was able to see 89-92 degrees Celsius as constant on long road rides. I think there is no problem with my cooling system.

I felt exactly what you described about the mirror and handlebar. Although I felt the same engine vibration between my legs while riding my friend's Tenere 700, his handlebars did not vibrate as much as the XSR. I think that was the first thing that confused me. Another was to expect a miracle in terms of vibration when switching from a single cylinder to a twin cylinder motorcycle, I guess. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The biggest difference between xtribute and the other series seems to be the missing bar end weights on the handlebars.The Grips has closed ends on xtribute.İ guesss i will start to replace the grips with suitable for barend weights and put a couple of weights on the end. İf that will not be sufficant to increase the mass on handlebar maybe i will turn a piece of lead on the lathe according to the inner diameter of handlebar with a close fit and put them in too. İ will keep you informed about the process. Many thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quality mirrors from CRG, the Arrow bar end mirrors will not vibrate
It's an European XTribute model... can't do bar end's with the stock handlebars. I'm also guessing that using 2WDW for a reflash is probably going to be a little cost and time prohibitive with shipping trans-Atlantic.

The biggest difference between xtribute and the other series seems to be the missing bar end weights on the handlebars.
Correct (well, the handlebars in general are completely different), and several people have burned up drill bits trying to get through the integrated weights in the bars to thread them and install regular bar ends. I'm over here in the US so I haven't experienced that issue (XTribs sadly aren't sold over here), but aftermarket bars seem to be the preferred solution for most.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts