XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of us I decided to wash my relatively clean bike yesterday and have a tinker with it, my brother was doing the same with his recently purchased Ducati.

I have been looking at different options to replace the handlebars on the bike, I wasn't taken with the stock setup but I couldn't put my finger on why. My brother took one look at them and questioned why they were set so close to the rider. I'd not even considered adjusting them, we moved them forwards a inch or two so they were more upright, not ridden it far yet but they feel much better already. Also binned off the reflectors and given it a little clean up.

Can't wait to get out on it!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I did the opposite to make the bars comfortable for me. When I sold bikes I was amazed at how few people really ever thought of that, with the exception of the more radical cruiser guys. I swapped out bars on my Gold Wing standard for the CB750 custom handlebars which had a slightly larger but similar bend to the Triumph T120 bars from the 60s. Similar to the old K&N Model 13 flat track/TT bars I have on the SR500 street tracker.

I may look for a similar bend for the XSR, maybe some J. Murphree bend Vortex bars w/2" riser, which would push them back and slighly up due to the angled clamps. Lots to think about when it comes to different bars.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700, 2009 Yamaha R6
255 Posts
I did the same thing right when I got the bike, pushed the bars forward. Then got aftermarket lower bars. The issue I ran into was the new bars were too low and hit the tank when full lock. I ended up getting a 2 inch riser to make them work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a problem with the position of the stock bars. They force me to lean forward, which forces me to crane my neck up and back in order to maintain situational awareness. I have arthritis in my cervical vertebrae. Maintaining my head in this position hurts over a period of time. I am looking for handlebars that will sweep slightly up and much farther back ... like those on a cruiser do. I am used to cruising in a slouched position, almost leaning back. Never had highway pegs, but would like them. If I use modified clamps, that puts the instrument panel (computer readout) too close to the gas cap to easily add gasoline. I am thinking some kind of moderate "ape bars" that have a 7/8 inch D-clamp, which could be fit using shims (since the bars are tapered). Anybody?

·
Registered
2018 XSR700, 2009 Yamaha R6
255 Posts
I would try a 2 inch riser and sweep the bars back a bit. It would bring the bars up and closer to you. The speedo would probably need a relo kit, I use brogue. I’m not sure about the speedo tho because i accidentally broke the stock one the first week I had the bike and just bought an aftermarket one.
try the spacer, they are cheap. An issue you may run into with higher bars is the cabling not reaching. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
Good luck

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you mind sharing a photo of your cable routing? I'm also trying to install a 2" Rox Riser but the cables seem to tight without rerouting.
You can see it all at the link down below. Truth be said, I removed the risers once my shoulders get used to this bike riding position (my previous one was a Yamaha XT600)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can see it all at the link down below. Truth be said, I removed the risers once my shoulders get used to this bike riding position (my previous one was a Yamaha XT600)
It says there you used a 30mm riser which is around 1 inch. Was there enough cable for a 2 inch riser? I actually like the current position with the bars swept back, but on longer rides my back starts to feel it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It says there you used a 30mm riser which is around 1 inch. Was there enough cable for a 2 inch riser? I actually like the current position with the bars swept back, but on longer rides my back starts to feel it.
I can't know. It will also depend on your handlebar angle. I would take a 2 inch wooden block and test it before purchasing anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts