XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Giving an 8000 lumen LED headlight bulb a try, results are a definite improvement.

But the LED bulbs are flat (limitation of technology), so the "emitter position" of near and far field don't match a halogen round, filament shape, or light distribution.

And I think the headlight reflector is designed for halogen shaped/light distribution. That's likely why I'm having a divergence between near and far-field beam

The near-field beam is powerful, if I adjust cutoff to a respectable distance, the far field beam puts it's sweet spot perfectly down road. Sounds perfect?

Except the reflector (I think) is sending considerable lumens into the down field trees along road. There's some considerable lumens projecting too high (and maybe a little wide) on high beam.

If this bulb had an adjustable base that turned like a screw to change the longitudinal position of the emitters, I could (maybe) get some of that back on the road space.

Ultimately it's the reflector (I think), it was designed for halogen and that h bulb position, shape and light distribution is really really different than those flat LED emmitters.

Anybody ever mess with a headlight reflector, like adding a small thin mirrored strip (of what, maybe a foil material?) to cast the runaway light back down to the road? I may give it a try, just to learn something.

Not sure if I can get in there, to make a mod to the reflector? Maybe a mirrored shroud around top of headlight on outside as an alternative/test of what's possible.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Lens and reflectors are made, generally, for specific bulbs and that's why sometimes when an LED bulb is substituted for a halogen the light that is projected isn't any better or in some cases worse that the OEM. Too bad the people who sell you the LED equipment don't tell you that up front.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx FlyerD.

There's another oddity, the near-field beam has a very clean cutoff, so it's easy to notice. Shine the headlight on the garage door, and you can see the cutoff is not horizontal.

It's got a tilt, that puts the left side slightly lower and the right side of cutoff beam slightly higher. The beam cutoff is perfectly straight, only it's tilted in this way.

Was that intentional with these high power LEDs? It does put less light in the eyes of oncoming traffic (but how's that going to work in other countries that drive on opposite lanes from US?

I look at the LED bulb (with light off of course), and you can see there is a slight rotation causing this. No way to adjust bulb rotation. Is this a defect or a feature?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low beam not flat fix.

This light is not adjustable, but it does have a removable 3 tab retaining ring (retainer unlocks from bulb & motor by rotating counter-clockwise). I removed and replaced the led bulb & motor in it's retainer a few times to loosen it up. That let the bulb & motor rotate just enough to set near-field to horizontal. Problem was me, and now it's solved

1 - 5 of 5 Posts