XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people

lately I decided to come back to riding after some 10 years of pause and I am flirting intensively with an XTribute.
Such a lovely bike!

Anyone here from Switzerland, south Germany or Alsace?

·
Super Moderator
773 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do we assume that you intend to consumate this new relationship (as in buying said XTribute)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! On the upcoming Saturday I am having a test-ride but in my mind the bike is already purchased.
I want it for everyday use and I worry a little bit about the position of the seat. It feels a couple of cm higher than it should be (I am 178cm) and although I can step down with both feet, my legs touch directly the pegs. I guess it would be better just if the seat was 2-3 cm lower so that I could step a couple of cm away from the pegs...
Does anybody know if the seat can be set a little lower?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Do not worry regarding the seat height. Your sitting position when riding might be different from just throwing a leg over it.
Then you learned, only put one foot on the ground. This is always sufficient and no need to ground everytime with both legs. This keeping in mind, the foot rest shall be not an issue.

The Yamaha OEM flat seat can be an alternative as well. If even after a while of experience, the cosy feeling of both legs to the ground is still required.

As said, welcome to the forums,

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and thanks a lot for your thoughts, it is very welcome. It is true, right foot down, left waiting to kick the 1st gear off...
I think my concerns are related to the fact that I couldn't ride it and I just had a couple of minutes on the bike inside the store...:rolleyes:
I am coming back on Saturday!
All best to everybody

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi people today I had my first ride with the xsr700! - unfortunately it looks like no store has the xtribute available for a test ride... :cautious:
It was an amazing ride on mountain streets (I didn't enter the highway) so I could enjoy the sharp curves under the trees (average speed 60-70km/h - max speed was about 90 or 100km/h in a couple of straight parts of the route).
The motorcycle is very very friendly! I never had to think about anything, we became very smoothly and happily friends from the first moment). Seat position was super and comfortable (compared to the late mt07 test ride I could have for 15 minutes last week and my hands felt already tired), nice breaks and of course so smooth and powerful at the same time from the very low rpm...
Wow... that was very nice feeling. After all I must say it is about a powerful bike which stays always kind and gentle :cool: :love:

After having such a nice experience with that, I wonder if it would make sense going for the XTribute... the differences of the seat height, handlebars height, tires and color.. plus the price difference...
Does it make sense at all to think about it? :unsure:

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is no surplus value with the XTribute,which you can write on a paper or tell at home, that it was important to spend the extra money.
It is something more like, you must have fun with those little details. The XT500ish colour scheme, the different handle bar, the speedo position, food pegs, the seat and others. If these is worth the extra Franken, then go for it. Otherwise the standard XSR is fine as well, as you learned today.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

I understand your "flirting" with the bike.

I negotiated with the dealer when I bought my Xtribute. So I got it for the same price as standard XSR700. Might be worth a try.
I really like the colour scheme of the Xtribute and the small details (handle bar, foot pegs, fork gaiters, seat, etc. But to each his own. I probably would have paid extra for those things :)

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi and greetings to beautiful Denmark!

Wow, you are then probably better in negotiations even than the people of an oriental market... Well done :)
I was thinking that riding in winter days would be better with the Xtribute especially because of the tires. I would have more confidence with them.
Seat, handle bar etc look very comfortable in Xtribute but I would still like to try it. Very sad that no dealer here offers it for a test ride.

I have started asking here in Switzerland about the availabilities. It looks like you have to wait from 2 up to 8 months until the bike arrives... Very long time.
Does anybody know what is the average waiting time in the EU countries?

All best and safe rides to everybody

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Hrki, thanks for your message! I wish you to ride your bike soon in Switzerland. It is really a dream :)
Best regards to balkan bros

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi people!

Yesterday I had I super day on the two wheels of the XSR :)
First thing, I rented the xsr from a shop and I rode further around 1,5hrs towards another shop which had the bike in black :love:
And I ordered it!!! Only extra thing I asked to be done on the bike, was to change the tacho position as it is on the XTribute and on the XSR900.
I decided for that kind of change during my ride, last moment, because I realized during the ride that I always had to move my head down to see speed and fuel infos...
But I find it is also quite beautiful. Then rode up on the Sustenpass, around 2200m altitude with nice curves and amazing view...! The weather was good, sunny, normal temperature and it was full of riders but I saw ONLY ONE (silver) XSR!

One thing I noticed while riding and I would like to share it with you, is that I felt very bad turning right. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that right turns can be far more sharp than left ones because we ride on the right side of the street, or if it has to do with any fear because on the right hand we have both the gas and the front brake... Anyway the thing is that I couldn't drop my weight right with the same confidence I could drop it left.
What do you think about that?
Can anybody tell for himself that turning can feel different on each side?

The last part of the trip, around 90km long, was on the highway and it was pretty difficult and exhausting (well, my ass forgot how it is to be 7hrs on the bike, and it is 5 whole years I haven't done it). Riding with around 100km/h was still very ok and enjoyable, but higher speeds rather tired me quickly.
After this experience I have the feeling that my XSR is not going to be a highway bike, which is actually not such a big deal, because I hate the highways even when driving there in my car. :sick:
And when I want to travel 4000km far away? I guess I just need to be the cool guy who travels on the highway only with 100km/h :cool:

So, then I am just waiting for my black new friend in the next couple of weeks!
Best regards to everyone
🍻 :D

·
Registered
XSR700 Garage-Metal Grey
5 Posts
Hi Milan
I thought, you could have seen me on my "garage metal" XSR, but I drove up the Susten the forth of september.
The XSR 700 is quite rare on swiss streets, the 900 is more common.
On your curve-feeling: i have the same bot for my left curves: I have more confidence in right curves, thus I am able to lean the bike further down. Just try to accomodate yourself: drive some nice curves down to Laufen, go over to Mümiswil, cross to Trimmbach (and take a non alcooholic drink at the Isebähnli) and return via the Hauenstein back to your garage. These are some quite good curves to get back on the pegs. Not like the overcrowded passes over the alps ;)
Have much fun with your black beauty (i think I know which one you bought, if it is one you can find on the selling plattforms)!
Greetings from the Oberbaselbiet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hoi Easylsi,
nice to be in the neighbourhood! I know some of these streets and they are first in my list :)
Man muss ufs Töff aacho... I have around 10 years of pause from riding.
Gruess from Basel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts