XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm planning on fitting the Yamaha indicators over the next few days and wondered if anybody has any hints and tips?! Are they plug and play, no cutting or soldering etc? I'm also going to fit the evotech tail tidy so slightly less concerned about the rear indicators. Do I need to remove the headlight assembly? The provided instructions are some of the worst I've ever seen lol!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Steve :smile2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Pazzo,

Front headlight connectors are in the headlight. You'll need to remove the headlight from surround (2 screws) and disconnect the bulb unit. Safely place to one side then remove the headlight from the brackets (again a screw either side).

You'll need a set of headlight adapters (one for each side as the stock adapters are naff for aftermarket indicators. They are designed for the oem's, although they can be used))

These are really good for out of sight side...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indicator...uit-Yamaha-MT07-MT09-YZF-R1-R6-/252865435553?

As are these for the side you can see...

https://www.barracudamoto.com/catal.../kit-attacchi-frecce-universali/category/627/

Cable adapters are as follows. But as you have stock yamaha LED indicators they may not be necessary.

https://www.barracudamoto.com/moto/yamaha/xsr-700/kit-cavi-frecce-yamaha.html

(note any aftermarket adapters are fine. Doesn't need to be Barracuda but they do give you a nice calendar) :D

Pics of front headlight cables on this thread...

http://www.xsr700forums.com/forum/369-appearance-body/1274-headlamp-size-led-drl-lamp-3.html

Relay change might be needed for the LED's (i bought one of these)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251760279672?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For the rear, it's self explanatory as per the evotech tail tidy install instructions and a good vid on youtube from StudioReesau.

My tip would be to remove the brackets and fit indicators away from the bike. don't forget to place towels on front mudguard in case of dropped tools (in my case, doh! ...i have a souvenir mark) ;)

Hopefully the links work and give me a shout if any other questions :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks chop_juice! These indicators come with the resistors and the adaptors for fitting, I just can't see whether I need to cut wires or just plug and play! The photos show what's included and the brilliant fitting instructions!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Steve,

Yep, judging by those photo's it looks as though it expects you to cut the stock connector off the bike end of cable then crimp on the bullets, soldering wouldnt be required. Personally i would avoid this and would buy the adapter cable, pic attached and link in previous post. This will ensure you can easily revert to stock indicators.

Re those 4 adapters. Double check the indicator thread is long enough for the evotech tail tidy and front brackets. Lack of indicator thread length is why i had to buy those flat black alu adapters for out of sight side.

Quick job to take headlight out of surround so worth taking off and having a quick peek. Alt you can look at rear connectors under the seat by removing the tool plastic etc. (Few more screws though)

Could you post up a pic of actual indicators and cable? ...assuming they have bullet connectors already attached? Those bullets can be crimped with pliers but much stronger with correct tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a photo of one of the indicators. I've ordered a relay to replace the oem one which will replace the need for the resistors. Fingers crossed my mediocre skills are up to the task!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here's a photo of one of the indicators. I've ordered a relay to replace the oem one which will replace the need for the resistors. Fingers crossed my mediocre skills are up to the task!
Sounds like a plan, def get those adapters to negate chopping/crimping. cant wait to see them on the bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a plan, def get those adapters to negate chopping/crimping. cant wait to see them on the bike.
I've ordered the adaptors from Barracuda so depending if they're in stock in UK or Italy they should be here in the next few days. Thanks again for your help! I'll post photos if and when I get it sorted! :grin2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've just mocked up the tail tidy with the new indicators and it would appear that our massive uk number plate totally obscures the indicators! Not sure what to do as I don't fancy drawing attention with a 7 x 5 plate! Hmmmmmmm...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you use the brackets? I had the same problem and I used the brackets to take it down a bit. I can send pictures later if you want

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you use the brackets? I had the same problem and I used the brackets to take it down a bit. I can send pictures later if you want
Which brackets bbninja? Photos would be great please!! :smile2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I've just mocked up the tail tidy with the new indicators and it would appear that our massive uk number plate totally obscures the indicators! Not sure what to do as I don't fancy drawing attention with a 7 x 5 plate! Hmmmmmmm...
I've got a 7x5 number plate and never been stopped. I ride into central London every day. Unless you're unlucky to enough to find a really anal traffic officer you should be ok.

Reactions: PazzoTazzo75

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a 7x5 number plate and never been stopped. I ride into central London every day. Unless you're unlucky to enough to find a really anal traffic officer you should be ok.
Funnily enough John I've just ordered a 7 x 5 plate. I had one on my Superduke and never got stopped but it's always in my head whenever I see the police! :wink2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Funnily enough John I've just ordered a 7 x 5 plate. I had one on my Superduke and never got stopped but it's always in my head whenever I see the police! :wink2:
It looks so much better that its worth the risk! Any pics of your tail tidy??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks so much better that its worth the risk! Any pics of your tail tidy??
It's the Evotech tail tidy John and it's currently prepped and ready but not fitted yet. Im waiting on a couple of bits to finish the job off. Photos when it's finished! :grin2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aah ok thanks bbninja! I haven't opened that bag yet. I'll have a look once I get round to fitting the tail tidy properly! I'll probably go for a smaller plate and a stick on reflector. Good to have options though!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right then, indicator cables turned up, as did relay. Fitted together and... Nothing! Put the original relay back in and indicators work, although they flash a bit quicker than normal. Am I ok to do ride for a few days whilst waiting for a replacement relay?

Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just waiting for a smaller number plate and a new relay to make the indicators flash slower but managed to fit the tail tidy, indicators and rad cover! Happy with how it's looking, just need to get my seat finished and I reckon I'm about there (for now lol) :grin2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts