XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

Has anyone installed the gaitor covers? I'm looking at getting a pair but unsure how easy they are to install.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
747 Posts
The best way to fit these is to have your dealer do the job as part of the purchase deal! But, if not, it's a bit of a long job, though not technically difficult. You need to remove the front wheel, then loosen the top and middle fork clamps, drop the forks, fit the gaiters, then reverse the operations. It's easier if you have an assistant. Gaiters are certainly worth fitting - they sit well with the retro style of the XSR. There are several U tube tutorials on the subject - I don't think any are specific to the XSR, but the general principles are much the same. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've always wondered why you need to remove the front wheel. Can't you do it without removing it and loosen the top bolts of the triple? I'm asking this because I have bought some gaitors and I must admit I'm a bit scared of taking off the wheel, because I'm sure I will accidentally hit the brakes or something, resulting in a mess trying to fit the wheel again.

·
Super Moderator
747 Posts
I think you'd have to get the front of the bike very high (and potentially very unstable!) to get enough clearance to drop the forks with the wheel in. Also, you wouldn't be able to twist the forks to persuade them out of their clamps. Removing the wheel is the easiest part of the process. But, if there's anyone out there who has tried it, let us know....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've always wondered why you need to remove the front wheel. Can't you do it without removing it and loosen the top bolts of the triple? I'm asking this because I have bought some gaitors and I must admit I'm a bit scared of taking off the wheel, because I'm sure I will accidentally hit the brakes or something, resulting in a mess trying to fit the wheel again.
I would not recommend dismantling (in any way) the front end of your motorbike if you are unsure of what you are doing. Save yourself a mental breakdown and take it to a shop!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you'd have to get the front of the bike very high (and potentially very unstable!) to get enough clearance to drop the forks with the wheel in. Also, you wouldn't be able to twist the forks to persuade them out of their clamps. Removing the wheel is the easiest part of the process. But, if there's anyone out there who has tried it, let us know....

My bike already had the gaitors fitted when I bought it, but I assumed that the easiest way to have fitted them would have been to drop the fork lowers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would not recommend dismantling (in any way) the front end of your motorbike if you are unsure of what you are doing. Save yourself a mental breakdown and take it to a shop!
Thanks, I did manage though. With some structural support underneath the bike and a helpful father (with instructions NOT to touch the brake lever once the calipers were off) it all went rather smoothly actually. Some youtube vids, a Haynes manual and some courage go a long way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts