XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Kinda interesting, but it is another distraction to take eyes off the road to look at a 2" screen down by handlebars. I think a real GPS or phone, being larger, would be safer, but still a distraction.
And... would have to check to see if app also includes USA roads.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think I'll stick with my Garman, it can be easily switched between vehicles including both cars and updated whenever I think it needs it or not at all. I have a couple Garman units that are over ten years old and still work flawlessly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda interesting, but it is another distraction to take eyes off the road to look at a 2" screen down by handlebars. I think a real GPS or phone, being larger, would be safer, but still a distraction.
And... would have to check to see if app also includes USA roads.
Good point. I used to tape directions to my tank, but found it a little dangerous to look so far down in heavy traffic. Now I have a sena that pairs with my phone so I can hear the directions, but man... it is annoying in heavy traffic to hear that voice. Unfortunately, I need to ride through heavy traffic to escape New York City and up into the country roads.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The XSR speedo, even relocated as mine is with the Gilles bracket, isn't in your POV. My smartphone is RAM mounted and a serious danger when using for traffic guidance if looking, please guys use audio commands only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one and I found it not worth it. Here is why:
  1. It does not account for traffic. Maybe not a big deal for some people, but this alone was a deal breaker as I am in Los Angeles.
  2. If you do not get on the exact road it sets at the start the ride, it does not reroute. This means you will be pulling over to the side of the road, taking out your phone again to reset the route.
  3. It must be set up through your phone before every ride. It does not have options in the device itself to start a route to a frequent destination. For example, there is not a "ride home" button that quick routes you home. You must use take out your phone every single time.
Given these draw backs, I bought a Quadlock for my phone and it's so much better. Just use your phone, this device does not add anything positive to a ride in my opinion.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought one and I found it not worth it. Here is why:
  1. It does not account for traffic. Maybe not a big deal for some people, but this alone was a deal breaker as I am in Los Angeles.
  2. If you do not get on the exact road it sets at the start the ride, it does not reroute. This means you will be pulling over to the side of the road, taking out your phone again to reset the route.
  3. It must be set up through your phone before every ride. It does not have options in the device itself to start a route to a frequent destination. For example, there is not a "ride home" button that quick routes you home. You must use take out your phone every single time.
Given these draw backs, I bought a Quadlock for my phone and it's so much better. Just use your phone, this device does not add anything positive to a ride in my opinion.
My riding buddy bought one, we found it was pretty useless overall, if you take a wrong turn as the directional arrow is hard sometimes to judge it take ages to reroute, leading to you missing the next turn, and so on,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts