XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!!

I´m new in here, but lately I've super obsessed with getting my first motorbike, and I've thinking about possible modifications that I could do when I got it.

I attach here some pictures of it!!

If you have any tips or recomendations, I would really appreciate it!!
Daily day.jpg
Modified.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome, Pey. Make it happen...life's too short with too many great rides to be enjoyed.
Take it easy when you do, it's a disarmingly powerful little bike; not just a head turner. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much Aussie-Aussie, it's a long term project, that needs to fulfill a lot of conditions in order to be able to make it real. And if I do it, definitely I'll do it right (with the help of technicians and mechanics).

Thank you so much for your advice!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Pey, bienvenido :)

I love the project. Me encanta. De hecho la mia va en esa dirección.

I would think twice about the tyres, they look amazing, though.
Unless you're doing a lot of muddy and sandy off-road, you will miss a tyre holding you for all the rest. I've ridden an XT600 for 25 years under all conditions and I'm sure that the xsr700 ground clearance will be your biggest issue. I would think about a more conservative aproach like Pirelli MT60, Continental TKC 70, Anakee or so. Something that will not bail you when you ride over dry and compacted, even gravel, but with a good behaviour on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Wulf,

Thank you!!
About the tires, actually, those are a bit exaggerated, but I was thinking a bit more of something like the Bridgestone Battlax AX41S.

But those were the only ones that I found a good image to make the pictures.

Again, thank you so so much for the welcome and the advice!!

·
Registered
XSR700 xTribute '20
23 Posts
Hey Pey, awesome looking design, with what software did you design it?

PS these tires this French dude is using also look great: Rally STR

·
Registered
15 Posts
The scrambler look is indeed awsome!

I've built one myself and my friends to, and the conclusion is always that the "roadbike" scrambler wont perform on or off road when finished unfortunaly.
But some times looks is key and performance not important, and we can still se increadible scrambler builds.
I would love to see the tenere 700 being built with the retro scrambler look because that would perform very well off road :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Pey, awesome looking design, with what software did you design it?

PS these tires this French dude is using also look great: Rally STR

Thanks mate!!

I did it with Photoshop, it's really easy, but the difficulty of it is to find the proper image of each part.

Wow, those would look great!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The scrambler look is indeed awsome!

I've built one myself and my friends to, and the conclusion is always that the "roadbike" scrambler wont perform on or off road when finished unfortunaly.
But some times looks is key and performance not important, and we can still se increadible scrambler builds.
I would love to see the tenere 700 being built with the retro scrambler look because that would perform very well off road :)
Realy?? do you have pictures of it?? I would not use it really on offroad that much, but I really love the look of this kind of tires. I think that it gives the bike a lot more personality!!

·
Registered
XSR700 xTribute '20
23 Posts
Thanks mate!!

I did it with Photoshop, it's really easy, but the difficulty of it is to find the proper image of each part.

Wow, those would look great!!
yeah, I get you; pictures like these are what you need Tyre (ps this is the Rally STR, when my XTribute tires run-out did love these. The MT60 is a little more roadworthy because of the layout of the blocks but the Rally look more cross biky

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, I get you; pictures like these are what you need Tyre (ps this is the Rally STR, when my XTribute tires run-out did love these. The MT60 is a little more roadworthy because of the layout of the blocks but the Rally look more cross biky
Wow!!! that's the kind of pictures I needed. Thank you man!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
One thing that seemed odd to me, was the chain guard over the rear brake?
I'm ordering that Koso headlight tomorrow, but I won't mount it that high, or with fork tube clamps.
My last Scrambler build ('80 Honda CX500) had Kenda Big Blocks. Looked a lot like those pics.
They were suprisingly decent on pavement, but the oil sump on an XSR700 is "low hanging fruit", inviting a rock to bite it.
I have looked extensively, and the only skid plates commercially made, look weak.
I have also looked at those Bridgestone Battlax AX41S tires, and the Dunlop Mutant, if it ever becomes available stateside...
Overseas shipping makes an already expensive tire, EXTREMELY expensive to order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
One thing that seemed odd to me, was the chain guard over the rear brake?
I'm ordering that Koso headlight tomorrow, but I won't mount it that high, or with fork tube clamps.
My last Scrambler build ('80 Honda CX500) had Kenda Big Blocks. Looked a lot like those pics.
They were suprisingly decent on pavement, but the oil sump on an XSR700 is "low hanging fruit", inviting a rock to bite it.
I have looked extensively, and the only skid plates commercially made, look weak.
I have also looked at those Bridgestone Battlax AX41S tires, and the Dunlop Mutant, if it ever becomes available stateside...
Overseas shipping makes an already expensive tire, EXTREMELY expensive to order.
Hey man, thank you so much!!
The chain guard that you mention, is not a chain guard, instead, is a rear fender jajajajajajajaja.

I'm looking for a mixture of on road and off-road tires, because mostly, I will use it on my daily life, and some routes.
I will check on those Dunlop Mutants that you mentioned, they sound interesting.

Again, thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
The bike itself looks pretty trick and you can find models that look similar from some of the custom houses. What you rarely see though is them riding their creations very far. As has already been stated, that oil sump is really low and there is no protection. Break that sump and you'll be headed to the bank for a chunk of cash to replace it, after you've walked home. The XSR makes a hellofa road bike but there are others that can handle the hard core off-roading much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bike itself looks pretty trick and you can find models that look similar from some of the custom houses. What you rarely see though is them riding their creations very far. As has already been stated, that oil sump is really low and there is no protection. Break that sump and you'll be headed to the bank for a chunk of cash to replace it, after you've walked home. The XSR makes a hellofa road bike but there are others that can handle the hard core off-roading much better.
Hey mate,

Thank you so much for your recommendation, I'll see what I can do with it. But definitively I'll get the XSR700, I've seen a lot more motorcycles, but I'm deeply in love with this one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey mate,

Thank you so much for your recommendation, I'll see what I can do with it. But definitively I'll get the XSR700, I've seen a lot more motorcycles, but I'm deeply in love with this one.
Believe me, it is a great bike. If you read all the road tests that were done of the FZ07 when it first came out, it was about as positive a reception as any bike could get and the XSR700 is more or less a "dressed for the ball" representation of the same bike. It just has to be used in the right venue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe me, it is a great bike. If you read all the road tests that were done of the FZ07 when it first came out, it was about as positive a reception as any bike could get and the XSR700 is more or less a "dressed for the ball" representation of the same bike. It just has to be used in the right venue.
For sure you may know a lot more about motorbikes than I do, and also, I've read A LOT of reviews and articles about this and other motorbikes. And this one is just perfect!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts