XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find any advice on removing the XSR's fuel tank covers on line so here are few notes following my experience (sorry, ):

Removal
- Remove the seat.
- Remove the central plastic part first: undo 14 screws (6 larger and 8 smaller) and lift the plastic section away (the clearance between the instrument console and the tank is tight but the plastic cover can be fully lifted away with some gentle pulling.
- Remove the side panels: undo the 2 screws (smaller size) and the plastic pin which is at the front, behind the headstock. To remove the pin use a small allen key or similar to push the center of the pin inwards. Once the central pin is pushed to it's indent it should be possible to remove the pin assembly.
- (Assuming I've not forgotten anything) The panel is now only held in place by the a couple of plastic clips on the plastic assembly that includes the fuel filler cap. Pulling the lower part of the panel slightly away from the bike maybe enough to release these last clips - if not pressing the clips down gently with a screwdriver should release them.
- Both panels are removed in the same way.

Refitting
- Clip the side panels back in place.
- Refit the plastic pins (push the center pin back to its locked position and push it again to the next indent so that it protrudes from the top of the pin) and the screws.
- Refit the center panel - put the larger screws at the front and rear in first then put the rest in without tightening any as it may be necessary do a little pushing to get screw holes to line up. When everything's in tighten up all screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
been there, done that. I would only add to not force any screw-ins.. if it is not going in smoothly, re-align and try again, Wd-40 may help. I was able to dislodge one of the back nuts on the tank covers for being stubborn and trying to force it in :(.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the reassuring guide. I'm trying to take the fairing off to have it painted. It'll take two weeks though, and my question was whether it's possible to ride the bike without the tank fairing for a while.

I've seen some videos of guys doing it on purpose for the custom look etc, which is not what I'm looking for, but my only alternative is to post the fairing parts. The painted fairing parts cannot be posted back to me though, since they want me to see it at the garage and be happy with it.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Never tried it myself, but perhaps doable. Maybe make sure to cover the tank with something to keep it away from debris and don't ride in the rain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts