XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought this bike new, for the moment I was not able to get out of town, so all is city riding. I don’t rev it, I was told not to go over 6000 revs, I sometimes get to 5000 but not over.

So, I filled up for the first time with 44 km on the clock, 14 litres. I am now at less than 120 km, so barely 80 km since filling up, and the gauge is already down to the last bar! I don’t get it.

Obviously, consumption in the city is higher so I did not expect to go over 200 km per tank, but this will maybe get me to 150 km per tank - if the reserve gives me 50 km, which it probably will not, seeing the consumption til now. I don’t understand it! Could it be because it’s new, will it get better when it’s broken in? Maybe it’s my riding, I don’t have much experience; I do accelerate a bit but don’t go over the speed limit and don’t rev it, my revs are usually between 3000 and 4000. There is a lot of stopping on my commute, a lot of traffic – Madrid city centre. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
From a full tank, on mixed roads, my fuel light usually comes on about 145 miles (235km), giving about 175-180 miles (280-290km) tank range. I suspect the fuel guage isn't very accurate....once it's moved from full, it seems to rapidly fall towards one bar, then sits there for a long time. In UK terms, I usually get about 68mpg (29km/l*). Your fuel consumption should improve a bit once your bike has 'run in', but the difference will be marginal. Don't expect to go quite so far on a tankful in urban areas.

*29km/l = about 4.15 l/100km

·
Registered
49 Posts
From a full tank, on mixed roads, my fuel light usually comes on about 145 miles (235km), giving about 175-180 miles (280-290km) tank range. I suspect the fuel guage isn't very accurate....once it's moved from full, it seems to rapidly fall towards one bar, then sits there for a long time. In UK terms, I usually get about 68mpg (29km/l). Your fuel consumption should improve a bit once your bike has 'run in', but the difference will be marginal. Don't expect to go quite so far on a tankful in urban areas.
My average consumption varies between 4.6 l/100 km (city) and 4.4 l/100 km (highway/mountain).

In the last +2500 km, my overall average consumption is 4.5 l/ 100km.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I went to look at the bike and it says that the average is 8.1 L per 100 km! :surprise: That can't be, I don't accelerate that much!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The fuel gauge is famously inaccurate. Pay attention next time you fill to much gas you put in, and compare to fuel capacity, you will notice there is plenty left.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'm getting about 60.2 mpg according to the mpg gauge dunno how accurate that is, is it even accurate at all, throw in variables like wind speed, gradients, drivers weight, air pressure, luggage etc etc..how longs a piece of string.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The average fuel consumption of my XSR is 3.95 liters/100 km.
Highest value was 4.66, lowest 3.1

·
Registered
633 Posts
I usually get about 55-60 MPG when on the open road but quite a bit less in stop and go traffic which is the worst condition for gas mileage. There are a lot of factors that will affect mileage and even the weight of the rider will cause a lot of difference, especially in city riding. I went on a trip from Michigan to western Arizona several years back (mainly on I-40) and the head wind was about 40 MPH and my mileage went down to the low 20's even though I was on the expressway. Of course my FZ1 was pumping a lot of H.P. and that takes a lot of fuel as well. I wouldn't get too worried that I was getting less mileage than advertised because manufacturers usually advertise the best situation, not the worst.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't get too worried that I was getting less mileage than advertised because manufacturers usually advertise the best situation, not the worst.
Thanks. I know the the consumption is higher in the city but I am getting almost double what others indicated - 8L/100km vs 4.5L. I have set the speedo to the immediate consumption option, the highest I've seen was 6.7L, and mot of the time it showed ECO, which I understand is the optimum. I don't know from where that 8L average can come from. Anyhow, I have to fill up today, I will reset the average and see what it indicates in a few days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My best is 240km on 8liters so 0.33l per 10km.
In town is about 0,5l per 10km.
My best is about 230km on 8 liters with 4.3 L/100km in average since I've got the bike.

Tho, I'm wondering something. Instruction manual says the tank capacity is 14 L. Reserve is 2.7L. and I never could put more that 8.5L when refueling. So 14-2.7-8.5=2.8L where did Yamaha hid these 2.8 L ? lol. Any idea ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine does around 59mpg, seemingly regardless of how its ridden. 140 miles is when I fill up, fuel gauge is pretty useless so as long as I reset the trip it gets a fill at 140. Fill up to the strainer then spend 10 minutes trying to get the rest in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts