XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is just a few of my observations for anyone considering switching from a sports bike to the XSR700. I've only had the bike for 2 days so these are just my first impressions.

I sold my R6 in November 2015. I had it for nearly 3 years and put around 15k on it commuting into London everyday in all weathers. I decided to go for the XSR700 as my new bike as I love the style and want to mod it to my own taste.

So far I think the XSR700 is great, very comfortable with nice low/mid range torque. I have to keep it below 6k revs until I get the first service done so haven't had a chance to open it up yet but so far so good. I also went for the dual Akra exhaust which sounds lovely, however, I think I will have the DB killers removed.

In comparison to the R6 the front end feels a bit light and suspension is a bit soft compared to what I'm used to. The speedo is also a bit low for the seating position and I find I have to keep looking down to check my speed. The rear sets also feel a bit too far forward, especially when I stop at lights, I find the foot peg folding up behind my leg. Obviously on a sports bike they are a bit further back so it's just something to get used to. The view is good as the bike sits quite high and the mirrors give a good view of the road behind.

I find the handle bars a little too high so I'll be going for some LSL bars soon.

The comfort is the main bonus. On the R6 I used to get numb hands or a sore back after riding for 40 minutes or so. On the XSR I feel like I can ride for hours. I also find I ride slower on the XSR. It's more of a cruising bike allowing you to enjoy whats around you. On the R6 I used to speed everywhere, mainly because it was so uncomfortable!

I loved the R6 and still love sports bikes but I think I'll be keeping this XSR for a while.

My next mod is a custom tail tidy, LSL handle bars and maybe bar end mirrors.

If you are considering the switch, take it for a test ride! :wink2:

Reactions: Yamaboy

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Great write up there John,
I've got the LSL bars and bar end mirrors and an SP engineering exhaust, definitely great mods.

As for speedo view, yes it is annoying that you have to constantly look down to check the speed etc.. when i get round to it, i'm going to make a bracket up and move it further up/out.

One thing i have noticed is it makes a difference as to which helmet you've got too.
I've a Shoei GT Air and a Caberg drift carbon and the Caberg has a bigger deeper visor, so hardly need to move my head to see the speedo now, where as the shoei vision is limited.
Oh and the tail tidy is next on my list.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, it is a nice bike which is best used as a cruising bike. It can go fast if it has to but the riding position with all wind coming against you will make you tired. And according to my wife it isn´t a bike for passengers, the seat is too small and the position of the foot-rests are too high up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@John876 Our stories are similar except when it came to getting rid of my 07 R6(owned from new),I decided to keep it and have two bikes. I love the riding style of the XSR and the difference between riding each bike is something i really enjoy. Long may it continue.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, it is a nice bike which is best used as a cruising bike. It can go fast if it has to but the riding position with all wind coming against you will make you tired. And according to my wife it isn´t a bike for passengers, the seat is too small and the position of the foot-rests are too high up.
It's why I ditched my 250, you just can't have as much cruising fun on the 250 as you can on this XSR. Although I will admit the 250 was great for the city, just not on long highway rides.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Thanks mate.

New handlebars are definitely next on the list after the tail tidy. Are these the ones you went for? I like how it has changed the profile of your bike, looks a lot better.

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/lsl_superbike_fat_alu_handlebars_t6
Yes they're the ones and i got them from there to....eventually..!!!

I ordered the anthracite grey online and expected a 14 day delivery which came and went, so i emailed asking for an update 3 weeks in only to be told 'ah we can no longer get these in anthracite' !!!

So i had to cancel the order, left it a few weeks and then started looking online for an alternative, went back on get geared to get the spec to discover they were showing the anthracite in stock?!?!.

Turns out they'd had some returned (probably as they look brown and not grey) so i bought them there and then.

So i'd ring up and enquire first rather than order online, as they're still listing Anthracite as available...???

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mate, think I'll go for black as I'm going for black and silver on the bike.

It's in the garage at the moment getting the tail tidy made but those bars are definitely the next thing on my shopping list.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Seems like quite a few R6 owners up in here! I also have an R6. Hope i dont jack this thread, feel like i wrote a novel: 2009 yamaha r6 raven with full akra exhaust, flashtune and -1 on the front sprocket.
XSR700 silver has the akra titanium/carbon shorty exhaust, pending flashtune and tons more to come. I removed the baffle then put it back in with a bunch holes drilled into it. It's a nice medium.
I was eyeing the xsr700/900 for a couple years. Legit afraid of stepping foot in a dealership... until this past black friday. Woops. New xsr700. Saw it and had to have it. They didnt have an xsr900 on the floor and I have some buyers remorse about it. Overall I've gotta say I love this bike and comparing it to the R6 feels like apples and oranges. Different machines.
The R6 loves to be reved into triple digits way too quickly on the street. It's home is on the track and twisties. The price payed is in comfort. It sucks riding straight for long rides.
Now the xsr700 i could ride all freakin day. It feels like a mature hooligan machine with a soul - love that 270 parallel twin sound. It does have room for improvement and that's where i feel customization fits in. The front end feels "light" and maybe too soft, bars are too high, dash/meter is in a weird spot (and broke off the plastic mount already. Damnit), rearsets could be set back a bit more. It feels really strange for me when coming to a stop. Like my feet reach down and seem to be reaching forever to find the pavement. Idk why, is just awkward as **** (I'm 5'8"). Then i put the foot pegs in front of my shins when stopped, they dont seem back enough to go behind my legs.
Something I also noticed was how much slower i ride on the xsr now. And it's not a bad thing by any means, I'm having just as much fun on it with less risk of speeding tickets and high speed catastrophe. Was kind of worried about it not being "fast enough" but this thing is just fun to ride at any speed.
Another advantage of the xsr700 is low speed agility in parking lots and whatnot. The first thing i did when i got the bike after about 30 miles was finish scrubbing the tires in a parking lot. Was shocked how easy it is to grinding the foot pegs lol. I'd say aside from straight track riding i think I have more fun on the xsr700 and with way more comfort to ride all day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts