XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just bought a XSR 700 XTribute this weekend. It's from December 2020, 3000kms!

It already had a few modifications made by the previous owner such as :
  • the standard handlebar and fixations
  • relocated the speedometer
  • new saddle
  • SLC bars for SW Motech products
  • Yamaha metal side covers
  • Yamaha front plate
  • heating handles
  • Yamaha tank pads

Quite a change from my Yamaha XJ6 (or FZ6R in the US market), that's for sure but I won't customize it as much though.
However, I think I'll do a custom paint, as I like colors that pop and grey/black are too blend for my taste. I'm thinking of changing the exhaust as well. I have an Arrow exhaust on the XJ6 (without the db) so barely hearing anything now is quite weird!! I love the lower Akra exhaust look, but it's way too expensive. The only two other models that I would go for are the Ixil Dual Hyperlow
Office supplies Tints and shades Bicycle part Font Rim
or the SC Project Conic 70's (the Euro 3 version, not the Euro 5 if it's possible)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

I may remove the SLC bars if my girlfriend doesn't need them to hold on to the bike :D

XSR 700

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Plant

Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light

And my XJ6 Naked (that I still own) - as you can see, I do like color!

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Plant

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You made a good choice ...it's always good when a previous owner pays for expensive mods on your bike!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forums!

Interesting to see that the previous owner removed the 'special' and unique bits of the XTribute, such as the handle bar, speedo bracket or the nice seat.
Anyhow, enjoy your ride,

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both!
I probably would have made the same mods anyway (or bought the standard version), so I don't mind :D
The handle bar isn't made for smartphone navigation (and I always use it for cops location!). The regular seat isn't made for passengers and I don't plan on getting rid of my gf. ;) The new saddle is very comfy though. And as for the speedo, it's not compatible with the front plate, which finalizes the look imo.

While browsing on the 'Gram, I found these side tank protections, made of vintage synthetic leather. What do you think?

An example of how it looks (FYI, I think brown and red absolutely don't match!!)

As soon as I can, I'll change the exhaust because I've been riding a week with the stock one, and geez, it's silent!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am an old fart and my wife often says, I smell like one. So it is my understanding, I would not smell better, when I fart louder.
Same same with an exhaust, what is that a fixation on louder exhausts, does it make the fumes or exhaust gases better, or even the bike or the rider?

These days I rode a stock XSR and with the OEM exhaust everything was fine. Made it much easier to focus on riding. So I ask you, what else would you do with the money instead of spending (wasting) for a second exhaust?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally like to hear the bike I ride. I don't want a Harley Davidson exhaust on my XSR, or make noise at 2am for no reason like some idiots, but I do want to make some more noise. I couldn't even hear the bike while riding, that's frustating. It must be what electric motorbike are like. I've been used to my Arrow exhaust for years and I've seen a change in behavior where cars are concerned. I was pretty visible already (LED headlight, yellow paint, yellow helmet) but they seemed to pay more attention once I got the Arrow, when they could hear me a bit more. So no, definitely won't keep the stock exhaust that no one can hear. To each their own taste.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey, it is your decision, be just part of that loud and noisier community, which will us all bring restrictions, closed roads for motorbikes, or weekend riding bans etc.
I just try to understand the consequences, if everybody wants to be louder than the other, just (arguing) for safety reasons.

There are some scientific trials and elaborations, which show, that the urban legend of loud pipes does not help or makes riding more safety.
It is your behavior in traffic. And how I often say, for an accident, you need two parties. If the others do not think and act properly, you have to do it for them additionally. Driving public which do not pay attention, they do not pay attention for a yellow jacket or lights like a Christmas tree, or for a loud exhaust. You have actively to generate attention or in doubt, miss out the chance for overtaking, crossing the roads, and so on.

But as said, at the end, it is your decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Today I removed the SW Motech SLC bars as I don't have the use for it at the moment, and if I ever get the proper luggage to go with it, it's just 4 screws to install it back.
I also put a tank pad protection. I find the choice is very limited! I may change it later, but as long as the custom paint I have in mind isn't done, this protection will do.

Regarding the blinkers, I'll get back the Yamaha LED blinkers from my XJ6 in a bit, so I'll install them instead of the stock ones. I'm not 100% happy with the LED ones with the XSR style (even if they looked great on the XJ6), but I'll give it a try. I can't find any model that appeal to me at a reasonable price. I saw the Bullet 1000D from Kellerman. I love that look but for 100 a piece, that's completely crazy!!

I still plan on changing the tail with the Evotech tail tidy, then the exhaust (and maybe custom paint). It'll all depend on whether or not my XJ6 is salvable and sellable!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ordered an exhaust for my XSR, one of Ixil's, the L3X (not the L3XB as I previously thought about)

It should arrive in a week or so, then the shop will install it + the Evotech tail tidy I got, and I'll put the blinkers from my XJ6 onto the XSR, they're the Yamaha LED model, I hope it won't mess the look too much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got some modifications made. My new exhaust is installed, same for the Evotech tail tidy, and I reinstalled the LED blinkers I previously had (no point in wasting money buying new ones).
The previous phone stand I had was slowly scraping my tank, and since I'm getting it painted next week, I wanted to change the support before. I went with the SP Connect. It seems really reliable and discreet so far.

Here are some pics.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts