XSR 700 Forums banner

Frame Bolt Size

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  WheelieThePooh 
#1 ·
Hi all was hoping someone can tell me what size bolt is the one holding the frame (see picture below).

I think I need to buy a wrench with an extension because regular wrench doesn't reach in there, also I noticed it would be bigger size than size 14 mm

Any recommendation on a good tool kit that covers most of the XSR bolts, also I dont have torque adjusting wrenches is it worth investing in one?

Map Font Auto part Parallel Design

See less See more
#3 ·
And since that bolt is an engine mount, along with the opposite side, don't take them both out at the same time. Do one side, then after it's re-installed and tight, do the other side. Assuming you are doing something that requires both to come out, like crash bungs/bars.

A quality torque wrench is a good piece of your tool kit and can be used for many things. On the motorcycle or an auto, torque settings are mostly for two reasons, so you don't snap it off, and so it doesn't fall off later. Some fasteners, like these engine mount bolts and internal engine bits are more critical and it's more important to tighten them to the specified torque. Most of your needs will be satisfied by a 30-120 Ft/lb or a 20-120 Nm wrench in 1/2" or 3/8" drive. A wider range 1/2" drive torque wrench can be used for axles and many smaller sizes. Many eventually find it handy to have two torque wrenches, one for lower range and one that covers higher ranges. Be aware that torque wrenches are calibrated to a mid range setting and are less accurate at the low and high end of the range. When well cared for, the difference is minimal. They should be stored set to the minimum setting or slightly below to take pressure off the internal spring. (This caution does not apply to electronic or beam style wrenches.)

Are you looking for a tool kit to carry on the bike, with only XSR700 specific tools? Or a more general kit to keep at home? A general socket set that will meet most of your needs is one like THIS. Reasonable quality and covers a wide range of sizes, comes with extension and short breaker bar as well as ratchet and other bits.

As far as on the bike took kits, most of the pre-packed kits will be expensive and not usually specific to your bike. Often best to buy an empty tool roll and fill it with the tools you find useful for what you are willing to do to the bike on the side of the road.

#4 ·
Hi,
I'm gonna guess you want to fit crash bungs of some description.
The socket you need is a 17mm with a small extension. Maybe get yourself a basic socket set which should cover it.
Since that bolt is holding your engine in I would always recommend tightening it with a torque wrench.
Yea it's the Sw-motech crash bars

I will unscrew the left side first since the bike is leaning that side, then the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.