XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I just agreed a price on a well looked after 2017 in Forest Green, stock apart from a couple of new Bridgestone Battlax and some Scotland-friendly heated grips.

Its my first big boy bike, moving up from my mighty Benelli 125, after seeing loads of great reviews on the XSR and trying one on for size at a dealer. My other love is old Porsches..man do you get a lot for your money with a bike!

The bike below isn't it, but it was the bike that first made me fancy an XSR..and my first job is finding out what seat it has..? Is it a factory single seat? It kind of looks like it with the tail light integrated so well, but it seems much shorter than I thought. I think it looks great.

Looking forward to fettling and riding it, cheers!

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Yes, it looks like the front two thirds of the std seat. There is a Yamaha single seat option which would probably be a better idea. That tail tidy looks cool.....but would be hopelessly inadequate on wet Scottish roads.

Welcome to the forum. Forest Green - simply the best, good choice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, really helpful.
It looks like the seat has been reshaped to accomodate the tail light. I do still prefer this mod to the factory single seat, not sure why, and wasn't planning to use it much if at all in the wet. 1st rule is to look good anyway, isnt it? :)
I'll have a look around the forum for other seat options, I definitely like the bobtail look..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the look of the green too. Really suits the bike. Mine is tech black but im thinking about getting the tank sprayed another colour. Im torn between dark green or a dark cherry red.
Wee tip for you.... swap the exhaust for something a bit beefier, the stock sound doesnt do the bike any justice.
Good shout with the heated grips 👍🏼🔥.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great. Yes, exhaust too, definitely. Any advice?
Great. Yes, exhaust too, definitely. Any advice?
Where to start? There are many different make & models which all sound better than the stock. I opted for the IXIL SX1. It was affordable, good quality and (in my opinion) looks different to the rest. I swapped out the street legal db killer for the “race/circuit” one which gives it even more depth without sounding too antisocial.
there is a YouTube film with a compilation of various exhausts, i’ll try and find it and post the link

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where to start? There are many different make & models which all sound better than the stock. I opted for the IXIL SX1. It was affordable, good quality and (in my opinion) looks different to the rest. I swapped out the street legal db killer for the “race/circuit” one which gives it even more depth without sounding too antisocial.
there is a YouTube film with a compilation of various exhausts, i’ll try and find it and post the link

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I opted for the IXIL SX1. It was affordable, good quality and (in my opinion) looks different to the rest.
Like this one? It sure looks different, suits the bike. I think the bike looks better with the short stubby systems..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks great! Where did you get your seat please?
The seat is the after market Yamaha flat seat which was originally black. I got it reupholstered locally near where i live (i live in Maastricht but im actually from Edinburgh. I moved away 21 years ago)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, she has arrived, and after a quick scoot around the block (it felt right by the first 100 yards) the bike is in the repair bay (living room) for some crash mushrooms and cosmetics. Mainly shortening the tail as per my first post - I am going to modifiy the original seat and rear light/indicator assembly. I quite like the big indicators for now. I also quite like the exhaust for now, but I am used to a Chinese 125 thumper vibrating my testicles.

The bike is in great shape, new tyres, new battery and serviced the day before it arrived. Classic but not trying too hard, I think.

After wasting my time with crappy expander bolt mirrors I returned them and got some of these, with a nice proper threaded insert.

Any advice on shortening the seat welcome. I think I am going to unstaple the cover at the rear half, reshape the foam, pull the cover back over and re-affic with a new brown leather grab strap. Should be easy peasy :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Who needs a sofa when you have a living room like that?
Good to see the bike has finally arrived.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, she has arrived, and after a quick scoot around the block (it felt right by the first 100 yards) the bike is in the repair bay (living room) for some crash mushrooms and cosmetics. Mainly shortening the tail as per my first post - I am going to modifiy the original seat and rear light/indicator assembly. I quite like the big indicators for now. I also quite like the exhaust for now, but I am used to a Chinese 125 thumper vibrating my testicles.

The bike is in great shape, new tyres, new battery and serviced the day before it arrived. Classic but not trying too hard, I think.

View attachment 26056

After wasting my time with crappy expander bolt mirrors I returned them and got some of these, with a nice proper threaded insert.
View attachment 26057

Any advice on shortening the seat welcome. I think I am going to unstaple the cover at the rear half, reshape the foam, pull the cover back over and re-affic with a new brown leather grab strap. Should be easy peasy :rolleyes:
You must have a very understanding missus. Or maybe she doesn't care now that she has the garage to herself ☺

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hows the modding going? Destroy your seat yet? Jk. But did you? ;)
Hi, thanks for the shout! Yes, I kind of creatively destroyed my seat. I didn't mount the tail light in the seat like my original picture, it would have been complicated having to disconnect the light every time I took the seat off..Its probably similar to a stock single seat but it was free and interesting to learn what to do. I also now own an awesome staple gun! In trying to resolve the shortened tail I ended up reusing the grab strap attached with a clothing rivet to the XSR logo section that I cut off the old seat tail, works pretty well.

There was just room on the Alixpress tail tidy for the tail light + original rubber mount, I was pleased about that!

Final touch was rubber bungs inserted into the exposed frame ends, but with two stick on reflectors added like Jawa eyes! (Its UK law to have a rear reflector).

I am pretty happy with it although it needs a little more fiddling with. Next job is to see if I can find some cheap tank pads and front shock boots off of AliExpress that fit..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts