XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..And its a not a nice one!

Current issues, Chain rust, Why? does yam put a cheap chain on at the factory? its not good enough!
Rust-the fixings on the coolant hoses again not good enough.
Finish on the metal pipes that go to the water pump has come off after cleaning with an alloy wheel
brush- surely this should be more durable?
Its also come off at the bottom of the block on the sump near the exhaust pipes.
After market rack (sw motech i believe) again rust in the welds.

This is all o a two yr old bike with less that 5k on it that is cleaned and ACF 50'd after every ride.

Any one else having these issues? Should i be on the look out for more rust elsewhere?

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
Welcome to the forum, exhondaowner! The discolouration on the pipes near the water pump is common - mine have gone a whitish colour. The chain rust may be down to frequent cleaning of the bike! I've not had any issues with the finish on engine casings (unlike my Africa Twin!). As to your SW Motech rack, rest assured that a Givi rack would probably have been much worse by now!

On the whole, the XSR is pretty good compared to many other bikes in terms of corrosion. It is annoying, though, when manufacturers skimp on materials - stainless steel fixings could be much more widely used and wouldn't cost a huge amount more.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the forum, exhondaowner! The discolouration on the pipes near the water pump is common - mine have gone a whitish colour. The chain rust may be down to frequent cleaning of the bike! I've not had any issues with the finish on engine casings (unlike my Africa Twin!). As to your SW Motech rack, rest assured that a Givi rack would probably have been much worse by now!

On the whole, the XSR is pretty good compared to many other bikes in terms of corrosion. It is annoying, though, when manufacturers skimp on materials - stainless steel fixings could be much more widely used and wouldn't cost a huge amount more.
I haven't had any of your problems but I clean the bike only with a mild soap and water and rinse right away and clean and lube my chain with chain wax. I don't think you can call the chain a cheap chain, I've had several that wouldn't hold up half as well as the stock Yamaha chain has. I know some people don't believe in cleaning and lubing the chain but I usually get at least 25, 000 miles on my chains before I trade and they look like new when I trade. Letting a bike sit a long time, not being ridden can be worse than riding through a rain storm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so here's a pic of what ive done today ( sorry for the quality), the little pipes that run into the water pump near the exhaust are a bugger for getting dirty and the paints come off mine too making the potential for corrosion that much worse, Therefore i had some heating pipe from a land rover project knocking about so ive cut it down a cable tied it over the top to stop so much crap getting thrown up to it, Im just hoping it doesn't get to hot in that area and the plastic tubing melts or causes the engine to run any hotter.

Any opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Every bike I have had has required the same care and attention to maintain its finnish and that includes so called "premium" brands and models. Paint and plating seems to be at the bottom of the list of ALL the major manufacturers. I have actually been quite impressed with how the xsr cleans up considering it is classed as a budget bike. Once I have cleaned the bike I spray copious amounts of GT85 over everything (excluding discs) which seems to keep it as shiny as a new set of teeth. With regards to ACF50, once it has been applied, you should no longer clean those parts until you want to remove it (as far as I am aware).

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, those coolant pipes are crabby and my swing arm started to corrode brake side so had to treat that. i use it all year round and my previous bike had similar issues though.

if chain is rusting you are not lubing it enough, simple. dry lube for summer, wet for winter, regular clean and relube

acf50 is great..

love mine but the abs squeak has reared its head, that must be a fault. warranty for me luckily

·
Registered
312 Posts
Granted, I've only had mine for 10 months and 8000 miles, but I have not had any rust issues, but I do wax all the metal parts, and keep the chain lubed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts