XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the dealership actually do during the first 1000km service? They really made it sound like it was crucial to bring it in so they can go over the entire bike, but in my mind the bike really just needs an oil/filter change. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just bought an 18 XSR and they kind of downplayed the first checkup. Oil change, check/adjust chain and general go around. Said if I was mechanically able it wasn't going to affect the warranty if I did the work, just record that it had been done. About 1-1/2 hours shop/materials work.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The first service is an oil and filter change (if they do it) then checking most of the critical nuts and bolts. For the riders who can't or don't like to do their own maintenance it may be a good idea to have the dealer do it but I haven't had a dealer do any of my maintenance is over fifteen years and that was for a few H.D's that I had. I wasn't familiar with those air cooled twins and back then many Harley dealers would give you heart burn about warranty work if you didn't have them do the regular maintenance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They say the first service at 1000km cost $287 because they check absolutely everything. But what really needs to be checked?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well, they should synchronize the throttle bodies, as well as check torque of all important fasteners, adjust chain as needed, change oil and filter; as listed in owners manual.
My dealer charged less than $200, but over torqued the oil drain bolt, and didn't synch the throttle bodies, so I ordered a CarbTune to do it myself for under $100.00. It's easy, just like synching carbs in the old days.
Dealer won't see me until it's time to adjust the valves (only).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Jacson, sent you a PM about sync. throttles

Well, they should synchronize the throttle bodies, as well as check torque of all important fasteners, adjust chain as needed, change oil and filter; as listed in owners manual.
My dealer charged less than $200, but over torqued the oil drain bolt, and didn't synch the throttle bodies, so I ordered a CarbTune to do it myself for under $100.00. It's easy, just like synching carbs in the old days.
Dealer won't see me until it's time to adjust the valves (only).
Jacson, sent you a PM about sync. throttles

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you take it in, have them do the recall service on the chain guard while they have it; if you haven't had it done already.

I asked them about this when I bought it because I knew about it beforehand and they said any recalls have been addressed. But my chain guard is loose so I don't even know if they did it or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts