XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I don't feel content with the XSR700's suspension system, I am considering changing it. This means an extra 750 euros aprox.
So I sat down and did some calculations. XSR 900 costs 9900 euros in Greece, and comes with a bigger motor, fully adjustable suspensions, 3 programs, one way clutch, anti spin. So if you add the extra cost of aftermarket suspension, which I consider a must, you have 8200+750= 8950 euros.
This means 1000 euros difference in order to have a much better motorcycle.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it makes sense! Feel you need adjustable suspension, rider aids, lots of power? You can have the 900, with all those things, for not much more than the cost of a customised/upgraded 700. Don't feel you need all those things? You can have a stock 700 and save yourself €1700-odd.

For what it's worth, I think the 700's suspension is pretty dashed poor, and I've had the bike get pretty out-of-shape on the wrong kinds of corner -but hey, it's a bike built to a budget, right? It's pretty good value-for-money, and I think for a lot of people it's going to be okay to just be aware of its limitations and ride slightly slower through bumpy corners, etc.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
It is what it is... it was my first bike and satisfied my needs, yes the rear suspension is a let down...but at that pricepoint you were never going to get Ohlins etc etc... i bought another bike as well so have the XSR700 to commute and have fun on and the other for more aggressive riding...
Everyones scenario is different i guess...if you can justify the 1000 euros difference to get the bike you want, then go for it i say :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Everyone's scenario is different I guess...if you can justify the 1000 euros difference to get the bike you want, then go for it i say :)
Totally agree. Wise words!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Interesting post and the 7v9 debate is one i have considered in detail along with should i be ploughing all this cash into what is essentially a cheap first bike.

For me, bought the 700 as a intro to bike retro ride with modern performance. Its cheap stock, can be easily modded and i've found great to learn on. (Or at least i wouldnt have a clue if better susp would help me). Along with should i be buying a 900 as a first bike?

True unlikely we'll get the cash back for exhaust and all the other bolt on's but loving the custom 'my bike' feel and noted it depreciated a grand the second i rode off forecourt. At this point in for a penny in for a pound/euro. Compared to pricier bikes e.g 900, triumph, guzzi, r9t. Upgrades make it comparable, personal and for same price?

So id say go for it and upgrade away. ...then tell us about how we all need ohlins suspension, R6 throttles, power commanders and air filters ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think I can have any complaints about this bike for the price it cost..

It is my first bike and I did test ride some pretty expensive ones in the build up to getting the XSR700 (Triumph Bonneville £10k, BMW R9T £14k, KTM Superduke £13k, Honda nc750 £7k).
I would have seriously kicked myself had I bought any other first bike.. The Bonneville and the Honda are just plain Boring and the BMW and KTM just way too expensive.
I do love the fact I had some spare cash to upgrade it and make it my own and I just love the bike.
Granted the more expensive bikes have the better equipment but that's why they are more expensive.
I get where your point is leading but even the XSR900 sounds crap so that's money on top for an exhaust and I am sure you would want to make it your own so costs go up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I see your point on the two bikes.

I think they appeal to different sectors. The 700 is good for all riders, new and old, it's cheap, easy to mod and great fun.

The 900 obviously has better suspension, tech, looks a bit better in my opinion, however, it is nearly 2k more and more suited to someone who needs the extra power. For me the most important aspect was having extra cash to make a few mods. If it went for the 900 that would have been out of the question.

I used to have an R6 which was great but the 700 is more than enough power for the road, if I kept the R6 for much longer I don't think I would have a licence! So, in a nutshell, the 700 is probably the better option for modding on a budget. Whilst the 900 would be better for the more hardcore rider who really wants to throw it around!

Both are great bikes :grin2:

Reactions: sleepycod

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the 700 simply because as a learner license holder that is what I could legally buy maximum. If I had no license restrictions, I might have bought the 900 to start with. Selling it now is not just a case of retail price difference, 700 is now used and will sell for less. I am happy with that for now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
http://www.cycleworld.com/yamaha-xsr900-is-great-but-it-isnt-bike-you-want

Couldn't agree more. Spent over 3k€ on my xsr700 which would be enough for a xsr900 and them some, or even a s/h rnineT (which I also considered). But I wouldn't want it any other way. I think the xsr700 is just the right package, the burble of the twin engine, the lightness of the chassis, the flickability... and after all it's a naked bike with a fairly straight riding position, why would you need a more powerful engine? the buffeting above 100-120km/h defeats the purpose, right?

Luis

·
Registered
294 Posts
The XSR900 is a different bike altogether - Much, much more aggressive in nature and style.
It really shouldn't be considered as a suitable alternative if the XSR700 temperament and attitude was what attracted you originally.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with the other posters, the XSR700 is a great bike with a sweet engine.

It's suits me perfectly, not too fast, but fast enough to have fun on UK roads.

The XSR900 is also a good bike, but it's really a naked sports bike.

I found this article from CycleWorld comparing the XSR900 with the XSR700.

http://www.cycleworld.com/yamaha-xsr900-is-great-but-it-isnt-bike-you-want
Thank you, maybe it was what I wanted to read. I think I'll use the extra bucks to enrich my 700. I love that green machine that gives me smiles, It was the manager in me speakin...>:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts