XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after only running a scooter for a while I'm back on a 'proper' bike. Went shopping a couple of weeks ago and ended up going for this Yamaha XSR700. It's new and for the first time in my life I had the patience to wait longer than I had to, waiting for march and the new plate.

Anyway, it looks smart, I fancied a little more of a relaxed ride, something I can happily plod about on but had enough poke to be fun too. I also like the chance to mix it up with some mods too.

Finally picked it up today, weather is **** so I've left it in the garage for now but I'm going to get cracking with the tail tidy (Evotech) and some ACF50 tomorrow before maybe taking it for a little spin. Hopefully some better shots tomorrow along with binning off that naff rear end.

(First vehicle I've ever seen with zero miles on the odo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the same 2018 brushed aluminum a few weeks back. I really like the new colour with the white tank and red stripe, like in your picture, but wasn't willing to pay $2100 more for it. I figure I can just buy new panels.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wait till you accelerate a slight bit hard from a stop and the front wheel hovers about 6" off the ground across the intersection, kind of a fun frenetic relaxed ride... just the kind I like. Catching air in second... not quite plodding, but really fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys. I had a CB1000R before, it was too quick for the roads here in the UK, too many idiots and too many cameras. The XSR has the best of both worlds for me I think, quick enough to hoon about but not too fast that I end up in trouble all the time.

I got the same 2018 brushed aluminum a few weeks back. I really like the new colour with the white tank and red stripe, like in your picture, but wasn't willing to pay $2100 more for it. I figure I can just buy new panels.
That was a big plus for me, I was fancying a green one originally. This bike was available for a decent price and then I realised how easy it was to swap/paint/wrap the tank panels so went for it.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't on my side today so still no chance to ride it, I did give it a quick coating in ACF50 and fitted an Evotech tail tidy.

Hopefully the weather improves soon!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I won't kid you, I could have done the same bike with a 500. The 700 is a bit much, too easy to be either too fast or skippin' the front wheel on the tarmac! But no regrets in buying it.

Gonna ride with a friend on his ZX14, my brother on his FJ09, and my son-in-law on his FTR1200. I'm gonna be the little guy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad has just bought a FZ8 and my brother a Kawasaki Z1000 so I'm the slow one too lol. I'm happy to go for style over speed on this occasion!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little update.

Having collected my bike just before lockdown I’ve been itching to go for a proper ride on it, this week that time finally came! First up I took it for it’s first service (600 miles) then over to meet my brother who was wanting to try some gentle green lanes. I wasn’t 100% on board, neither of us have what I would call suitable bikes really and I quite liked mine in the shape it left the factory but I caved in and found a local lane that looked sedate.

We arrived at the start of it to find a very overgrown track, me on the XSR with it’s retro road tyres and my brother on his Multistrada with sporty tyres on.

I sent him down first to see what it was like, thinking if he never returned I could turn around and go somewhere on tarmac. Sadly he did return telling me all was well. I tentatively trundled down the steep decline, following the ruts in the track. Once I relaxed a bit it was actually quite enjoyable, nice dry conditions meant that the ground was nice and firm. Had to keep our eyes peeled for large roots but we made it out the other end right way up. I agreed to have another bash the next day.

I’d found a few routes that looked decent but first a nice 45min country road blast. I’m starting to relax on the bike now, it's a real laugh to hoon about on. There’s plenty of poke low down without the crazy top end, flicking it about the twisty roads and pinning it between corners was fantastic fun. The engine is great, it’s got a characterful thump to it around town at low revs but happily pulls up the top end smoothly too.

We arrived at the first lane, grassy with tractor ruts to start then becoming a dusty track through trees and bushes. It also involved crossing a trainline, although it’s used very infrequently!

The next one was similar, although it was a bit more open and we met a few people along the way this time. The last one was much longer, started out as a bit of a clay type surface that was nice and wide, as we went on it became narrower and the foliage became thicker. At some points we were squeezing through tight gaps, ducking to avoid getting smacked by branches. We both made it out the other end in one piece with no casualties and headed home on another B road blast. Overall it was a decent day’s riding, I might even think about a toy for a bit of green lane work one day, I suspect it’s even more fun when you have the right tool for the job.

I’ve got about 800 miles on it now and I’m impressed with it. It doesn’t have trick bits, rider modes, traction control or anything flash but it’s that simplicity that’s part of it’s charm, along with the cracking engine. There are areas they’ve saved money, the suspension could be much improved and there are areas that look a bit unfinished but it’s a double whammy for Yamaha, they build a cheaper bike and sell you upgraded parts to improve it. There are some complaints regarding the build quality, I’ve plastered the swingarm with ACF50 in the hope to avoid the rust issues but on the whole it feels decent to me.

Overall I’m loving it. Oh, it sounds like a sewing machine too.

Edit: Dunno why some of the pictures have gone funny :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So 1500 miles have passed now and I'm still loving the bike, it's great fun throwing it about the back roads. I decided to swap the seat for the Yamaha 'flat seat'. So far so good, it's stopped me sliding forwards under braking and bumps.

I've also bought a gadget for the bike, since I've been back on two wheels I've been having navigation issues, when I ride to new places I end up stopping to check my phone all the time. I was going to get a cheap android and holder until I found the Beeline Moto. It connects to you phone, you plan a route on the app and send it to the little device. You then get very basic but very useful directions, or if prefered you can use 'explore mode' and just get an arrow pointing you towards your destination. Very nice bit of kit, simple but effective. Looks smart on the handle bars too.

Last weekend I went for a little trip to the seaside with my dad and brother. The XSR held its own, we set the Beeline to avoid motorways and had a 2hr 30min ride about all over the place, eventually ending up in Southend. Round the countryside it was great fun, thrashing it about the twisties.

My only real issue with it has been how bloody quiet it is! Compared to my brothers GS it sounds silent. Still, it gives me something to do over winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts