1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just posted about the pipe layout in another thread.
Personally I would want the Rally version with a CP2 engine - longer suspension travel and imo looks a little better.
I was looking at the single cyclinder Rally before I bought my XSR but the XSR was better value, better looking and more power.
If they do upgrade the Rally, depending on price it could be a contender for my next bike.

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Wow! Serious competition I think.
I've always like the Caballero line up's styling but was never convinced by their engines. This one sorts that issue perfectly. It's probably the bike that the XTribute should have been. I may have to add it to my ever expanding wish list.

·
Registered
771 Posts
FWIW...

Fantic Flexes Its Muscles With New Caballero 700 At EICMA 2022
It's powered by Yamaha's tried and tested CP2 parallel-twin engine.

Nov 08, 2022 at 8:06pm ET
By: Enrico Punsalang

Italian motorcycle manufacturer Fantic has released what could quite possibly be its most exciting model yet—a parallel-twin-equipped scrambler dubbed the Caballero 700. Fantic had previously introduced the 500cc Caballero range, but this time, has clearly outdone itself with the 700 model range. Interestingly, the new Caballero 700 has a very familiar engine—one from a long-time partner of Fantic.
That's right, Yamaha has had major involvement in the development of the new Caballero 700, as the bike sports none other than the 689cc parallel-twin from the Japanese manufacturer. Dubbed the CP2, this engine first made its appearance on the popular MT-07, and has since been featured in the XSR700, Tracer 7, YZF-R7, and Tenere 700. The Fantic Caballero 700 marks the first time the engine has been used in a collaborative model, as well as in a bike not bearing the Yamaha badge.

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Seems curious that Yamaha is collaborating in a model which will surely compete with its own XSR/XTribute bikes. The new Caballero has certainly made it onto my wish list - it'll be interesting to see how it rides compared to the XSR. Do Yamaha perhaps have a commercial stake in Fantic, apart from supplying the engines for the new model?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I doubt it will compete on price. The suspension and other bits tell me it will easily be significantly higher priced. The machined aluminum side plates are sweet, but not cheap. Inverted forks, traction control, throttle modes, TFT screen instrumentation, spoke wheels, chrome moly frame, aluminum swing arm, Brembo radial caiper... No way will it be anywhere near the price of the XSR. I'm betting at least €1500 and probably more over the price of the XSR.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[..]

Do Yamaha perhaps have a commercial stake in Fantic, apart from supplying the engines for the new model?
Correct, there are some joints and cooperations since years. Most important the Oct 2020 transfer of Minarelli shares to Fantic: Yamaha Motor Europe intends to reinforce a cooperation with Fantic Motor, including transferring all issued shares of its group company Motori Minarelli to Fantic Motor - News releases | Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.

Or a bit editorial writing: Yamaha And Fantic Motor Expand Strategic Partnership

Actually Fantic has a nice line up in off-road bikes, that some people say, they have the better looking WRs for example. Good to know that they are using the 250 and 450 4-stroke Yamaha engines.

FANTIC Enduro

And for those who want to see some real beautiful and still dream of a desert racing career, FANTIC XEF Rally

·
Registered
771 Posts
I read/heard expected price is 9000 euros.

I'd be impressed if they can do that. Might be that much of the materials are sourced somewhat "locally" being concentrated in Europe.

I'd still be surprised if they can hold at €9000 considering the 2022 XSR is showing at €8,599 in Yamaha's web site for Italy, click here. A rider would have to have serious good reasons to not buy the Fantic with that list of better materials and equipment. €500 to get
  • a chrome moly frame over plain steel,
  • inverted Marzocchi forks that probably have some damping adjustments over a basic fork,
  • TFT screen instrumentation,
  • spoke wheels (may not be a plus to some),
  • cornering ABS,
  • throttle modes with traction control,
I'd certainly spring the extra €500 to get the better package. Although not everyone would I guess.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Still betting more... just too many goodies to be on the cheap. I'm betting more like €12,000. Be interesting to see. Of course it doesn't matter for me, they just don't like sending cool bikes like my favorite, the Mash Dirt Track 650

Or that Fantic to the U.S. Such is life... :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts