XSR 700 Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you are not satisfied with the response or replacement unit from EC, any local machine shop could duplicate the OEM part with thicker steel arms and the hole in the +25 length with little effort. Especially if they have the OEM and preferably the intact EC part for comparison and measurements.

It's just a tube with the correct I.D. for the bearings, then two flat arms welded in place with the correct spacing between the arms and the bolt hole at the shorter distance to give the lift result. They don't need to be exact in other dimensions. Some flat stock with two holes each piece and either a bit of tube stock or bar stock turned in the lathe.
let's see what EC comes up with.
But yes, if the replacement part from EC will look suspect to me, I will consider the option to have the OEM part retro-fitted with a thicker plate welded to it and the drilled with the non bearing eye a bit shorter. It should be relatively easy :geek:

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Extreme Creations just sent me the custom one-off replacement link.

I asked for much beefier side plates and only one hole drilled at +20 (no other holes) as I have no need to experiment with lowering positions.
The unit looks very solid to me now and should indeed take the loads the suspension exterts in that location.
Time to install and test.

Here are the images of the new link

IMG20230123134232[1] by gnarlydog, on Flickr

IMG20230123134213[1] by gnarlydog, on Flickr

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Hi,
yes, fair play to them that looks solid enough. I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes.. :)
Yes, I applaud Extreme Creations.
Stuff happens and it does, things break depsite the best designs and only out-in-the-field testing can reveal weak spots.
It's how EC handled the problem that shows integrity of the company, willing to improve their products to make them world-class (y)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts