XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start by saying that it is most likely my fault and my lack of maintenance after several river crossing where the bike got half submerged.

Western Branch by gnarlydog, on Flickr

At 98K Km I should have inspected and serviced at least once the bearings on the linkage connecting the rear shock and the swingarm.
The "banana" shaped connector arm and the "wishbone" lower linkage have deformed subtantially quite possibly caused by seized bearings. The reason I inspected the linkages is because for a while the rear has been squatting lower and lower cuasing the tyre hitting the underside mudguard.

So the arm looks like this, where one bearing hole has stretched and ovalized (gap shown by red arrow) and the lower link is on one side 4mm longer :oops:

P1010031 copy by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Wood Natural material Cylinder Metal Composite material

I have now replaced the arm and the lower link is an aftermarket part by Extreme Creations which allows me to raise the rear by 25mm to give me more clearance for off-road riding and balance the front that is 55mm higher.

P1010039 copy by gnarlydog, on Flickr

· Registered
669 Posts
Not bad for a strictly neglected and not serviced bearing, isn't? Do you have a picture of the swingarm axle area around the chain guide, @gnarlydog ?

I am just a bit concerned about the swingarm, as a known weak point, at and below the chain guide, that it may be worn as well. Once the plastic of the guide is grinded, the chain will slice the metal of the swingarm. Typical tifetime is about 15 to 20K Km only.

· Registered
'22
79 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Do you have a picture of the new stance with the rear 25mm higher? Bet it looks awesome :cool:

I don't mean to get you worried, but seeing the picture of your link reminded me of this video;
Jakethegardensnake had one on his "adventure MT07" and managed to break it. You might want to double check with the manufacturer what their opinion is on using it, since your link appears to be the "old" model.

· Registered
187 Posts
Good to see something wear out after so many miles. Not in a malicious way, just things do wear out.
I'm guessing you had a good look at the wheel bearings and cush drive while the wheel was out.
I wonder what you have replaced the most over all those miles... :unsure::)

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch! How does the link compare quality wise to the oe one?
the machining looks great and the fit is very tight (no slop).
But there is a major problem with the Extreme Creation link: under engineered 😕
After just 500Km or riding a distinct snap sound and my bike suddenly felt like a Harley Softail: low in the rear and almost rigid 😲
This is what happened to the link

IMG20230102123215 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

I believe there is not enough material (aluminium) on the side plates and the "Swiss cheese" effect did not work with the forces of the suspension
A very painful and long ride on the back of my buddy's KTM790 (two up) for 350Km on New Year's eve to my place, then rent a van and drive the 700Km to retrive the abandoned XSR

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to see something wear out after so many miles. Not in a malicious way, just things do wear out.
I'm guessing you had a good look at the wheel bearings and cush drive while the wheel was out.
I wonder what you have replaced the most over all those miles... :unsure::)
apart from the usual chain, tyres and rear brake pads (and rotor) the only other replacement was one rear wheel bearing.
Changing oil every 5K Km tho

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing! Do you have a picture of the new stance with the rear 25mm higher? Bet it looks awesome :cool:

I don't mean to get you worried, but seeing the picture of your link reminded me of this video;
Jakethegardensnake had one on his "adventure MT07" and managed to break it. You might want to double check with the manufacturer what their opinion is on using it, since your link appears to be the "old" model.
yes, same thing happened to me, after just 500Km of riding
I am currently in talks with Extreme Creations about a replacement with much thicker side-plates and just one hole (no Swiss cheese style for multiple positions)

IMG20230102123215 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not bad for a strictly neglected and not serviced bearing, isn't? Do you have a picture of the swingarm axle area around the chain guide, @gnarlydog ?

I am just a bit concerned about the swingarm, as a known weak point, at and below the chain guide, that it may be worn as well. Once the plastic of the guide is grinded, the chain will slice the metal of the swingarm. Typical tifetime is about 15 to 20K Km only.
I have no unusual signs of wear on my swingarm chain guide/protector after 98K Km, but will keep an eye out for that

· Registered
'22
79 Posts
A very painful and long ride on the back of my buddy's KTM790 (two up) for 350Km on New Year's eve to my place, then rent a van and drive the 700Km to retrive the abandoned XSR
Ouch, sorry to hear that.
Having to ride a KTM is a high price to pay :confused:
J/K, glad your buddy was there to help you out! That's certainly a ride you'll never forget.

I was wondering though; they've known that part was faulty since Jake made that video and that's been a while now.

Did you buy this new from their shop? In that case I'd be pretty pissed about the fact that they're still selling these, since they were very well aware of the fact that this first version would snap at some point.
If you bought it as a used part from someone it's a different story.

Best of luck getting this sorted out!

· Registered
19 Posts
Damn that is not good. A: that is happened and B: it strikes me EC knew about the weaknesses beforehand. It will be interesting to see the outcome once they have been contacted. Certainly an experience you'll remember.

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch, sorry to hear that.
Having to ride a KTM is a high price to pay :confused:
J/K, glad your buddy was there to help you out! That's certainly a ride you'll never forget.

I was wondering though; they've known that part was faulty since Jake made that video and that's been a while now.

Did you buy this new from their shop? In that case I'd be pretty pissed about the fact that they're still selling these, since they were very well aware of the fact that this first version would snap at some point.
If you bought it as a used part from someone it's a different story.

Best of luck getting this sorted out!
I did not buy from EC direct but from somebody that never installed the part and then sold the bike.

I will give EC the benefit of the doubt, but just.
The part on their website appears the same as mine but they claim it has been improved.
I am in talks with EC and they offerd to warranty the part despite NOT bought directly from them. There might also be the possibilty that theymake me a custom one-off that will be much thicker and have only one hole (no Swiss cheese style).
Let's hope that they actually do it, and that they improve the design of their off-the-shelf product.

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn that is not good. A: that is happened and B: it strikes me EC knew about the weaknesses beforehand. It will be interesting to see the outcome once they have been contacted. Certainly an experience you'll remember.
Yes, I will rememeber the experience but not in a bad way.
My "glass half full" is that my friend really stood by me when I needed him, something that rarely happens with people anymore

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In that case EC is not to blame.
In fact, I think they're doing really well in dealing with the unfortunate design failure. (y)
It depends.
I had a trip cut short, major drama and massive discomfort riding two-up on a bike desigend for one (KTM790) for 350Km to then spend New Year's day and $460 to retrive the bike.
If it wasn't for EC's under-engineered part (they are the manufacturer) none of the "fun" would have happened :mad:

· Registered
'22
79 Posts
@gnarlydog I totally understand your frustration!
What I understand from Jake's video is that EC reached out to every buyer to offer a replacement, free of charge.
Maybe the person you bought it from didn't notice/use that offer?

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@gnarlydog I totally understand your frustration!
What I understand from Jake's video is that EC reached out to every buyer to offer a replacement, free of charge.
Maybe the person you bought it from didn't notice/use that offer?
could have happened and EC is now looking at the broken link I sent them to see if it is the old design
And yet I remain of the opinon that a "Swiss cheese" style link (multiple position option) presents great weaknesses, if it is like the one currenlty depicted on the EC website.
Back in the day of my race-meachanic for a DH bike team in USA we saw what can happen to underengineered suspension linkages, and that is on a bicycle, not a motorcycle :oops:
The way I see it: the EC link should be offered in a single-hole unit, with different options to choose from according to the rider's needs for suspension height modification

· Super Moderator
927 Posts
And yet I remain of the opinon that a "Swiss cheese" style link (multiple position option) presents great weaknesses.....
.....The way I see it: the EC link should be offered in a single-hole unit, with different options to choose from according to the rider's needs for suspension height modification
Agree - I've always avoided links with multiple hole options as they are inherently weak by design. I also think stainless steel would be a much better material - the extra weight would be offset by greater strength and peace of mind.

· Registered
327 Posts
If you are not satisfied with the response or replacement unit from EC, any local machine shop could duplicate the OEM part with thicker steel arms and the hole in the +25 length with little effort. Especially if they have the OEM and preferably the intact EC part for comparison and measurements.

It's just a tube with the correct I.D. for the bearings, then two flat arms welded in place with the correct spacing between the arms and the bolt hole at the shorter distance to give the lift result. They don't need to be exact in other dimensions. Some flat stock with two holes each piece and either a bit of tube stock or bar stock turned in the lathe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts