XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks,

First post here. I'm not (yet) an owner of an XSR700, but I've had my eye on one for a bit. Been riding for about ten years, and my first and current bike is a Royal Enfield Electra 500 AVL. It's an antiquated single, engineered by the Brits mid-20th century, and mine was manufactured in India. It's technically a 2009 but very little has been modernized on my bike. That's what gives the bike it's charm, but unfortunately that also means it needs a LOT of ongoing maintenance to keep it happy. That and the electricals are total crap.

Realizing that I have ridden very little in the past 3 years because of ongoing maintenance issues I feel that a modern, reliable bike may be in my future. I'll most likely keep the Enfield as a project bike (that's what it already is anyway) and use the XSR as an all-purpose urban errand runner, highway commuter, and weekend flogger on the twisties.

My Enfield is kick-start, air cooled, carbed, etc. Basic, low tech everything. I'm the only person who has ever wrenched on it (for better or for worse), and I want to get an idea of what the high-tech modern motorcycle maintenance would mean for me.

Since I'm coming from the world of 1960's engineering, what will I have to know about for routine maintenance on the XSR?

Thanks in advance!
Chuck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi chuck
Nobody loves old stuff more then me. But leave the past in the past apart from the lack of sound (exhaust ) which can be sorted all you have to do is ride.
If you live somewhere wet and ride in it you will have chain maintenance and little difficult on the xsr700 as it lacks a centerstand but not a problem that cannot be overcome.
Imho
Life is to short for the spanners
unless it is something you enjoy.
Buy a xsr700 and just ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

That's what I was hoping to hear. I live in the Baltimore area in the US. It's very humid and rains a lot, and the bike will be parked outside year-round. A sad necessity.

I enjoy the wrenching, but when wrenching far exceeds riding the romance is gone.

What dealer-maintenance is required of the XSR? What intervals can I expect to need to take it in, and is this a bike that the user can do routine oil changes on? Perhaps it would void the warranty if anyone besides the licensed dealer took a wrench to it? (this may vary by country and region...?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a new owner but can add what I know. Normal maintenance is every 10,000 kms on this bike. I have just taken mine in for its 1,000 km service (and recall work) and it cost me NZ$300. Quite expensive but labour was about NZ$190 of that.

Cheers
Greg

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
First service is basically an oil change and a cursory look at nuts and bolts. Overpriced oil and expensive labour charges - but most take their bike to a main dealer for this 'service' to preserve their warranty. After that, it's every 6 000 miles (10 000km) - it's up to you whether you feel it's worth the cost of dealer servicing or not. If you do your own, keep a record of oil changes etc. Don't be frightened into having to stump up for expensive dealer servicing - warranties require proof of regular servicing, if you are 'competent', then that's OK. Realistically, most bikes will be out of warranty before high mileages and mechanical issues appear.

The XSR700, like the MT/FZ 07 and Tracer 700, is usually very reliable, so no worries!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks very much guys!

It does sound like a good idea to have the dealer be in charge of the general 'tightening up of loose bolts' at the first maintenance. That's a common occurrence on my Enfield, but I can imagine the warranty lawyers would laugh in my face if I tried to tell them 'trust me, i did a good job.'

I called a local dealer today inquiring about the XSR and he echoed the comment to save all receipts and keep my maintenance log organized.

I also feel like, what really is this motorcycle warranty truly giving me? It's a Yamaha, and it's a bike known to have little to no inherent problems.

Who knows though, if it becomes my daily commuter I could rack up the miles quick, but it's nothing that hasn't been done on an MT-07.

I'm outta town next week, and in the following weeks will try and repair my Enfield the best I can, replacing any and all parts that could be faulty. Even if I get it running well, I am still leaning towards the XSR for the sheer purpose of reliability and that it can more comfortably do highway speeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts