XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the English Midlands,

I was wondering if anybody had any exhaust recommendations, or even just what exhaust you currently use and how you find it to live with?

In an exhaust I am looking for a nice grunty sound that unlocks the beautiful beastly sound of the XSR's engine, however I need something that is not too loud as to cause hearing damage or over power my intercom. Ideally I'm looking for something that has a baffle so it can be made louder by removing it but remains manageable for everyday use.

The two exhausts I've been considering recently is the iconic Akrapovic system for the MT07, and the Arrow street thunder exhaust which can be found on JvB Moto's Super 7 XSR build, both of which fit the bill.

The problems I am having is that the Akra is too expensive and finding one used and in good condition can be difficult. And second, I cannot pinpoint the exact Arrow exhaust that JvB Moto used, as their exhaust is the standard silver version however it has the black emblem from the white and black versions, which completes the look of the exhaust in my eyes compared to the garish yellow emblem.

I have also toyed with the idea of getting a Chinese mix and match system however I feel this would be brutally loud and not compliment the bike.

Although I will be having the ECU flashed with the new exhaust, performance isn't a main concern over practicality.

So if anyone has any suggestions on exhausts or recommendations that would be super!

Thanks and safe riding!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looking at ebay etc the Mivv systems seem to be very good value around the £300+ mark. The Yamaha / Akrapovic twin end can would be nice to have but at a sixth of the cost of the bike it's not in the running for me. There's homoglated for noise and not in the Mivv options, and surprisingly the prices don't seem to be any cheaper if you go to the Italian dealers website vs eBay.

I've never had the ECU flashed / dyno run carried out after fitting a replacement exhaust, if it's not much noisier / no great performance difference I don't see the point, unless the basic bike had issues before the replacement exhaust was fitted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You really should take a look at the Scorpion Serket Taper - I looks absolutely fantastic on the bike, fitting using the existing exhaust mounting points and so without unsightly brackets and bands.

It also hits the sweetspot for me, noise-wise, with the baffles installed - Much deeper/meatier and louder than the weedy stock unit but not getting in to the obnoxious zone that some of the Italian units do.
(If you remove even just the end baffle though, the noise level is equivalent to i.e. the SC Project Conic - you're not going to be popular with the neighbours.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at ebay etc the Mivv systems seem to be very good value around the £300+ mark. The Yamaha / Akrapovic twin end can would be nice to have but at a sixth of the cost of the bike it's not in the running for me. There's homoglated for noise and not in the Mivv options, and surprisingly the prices don't seem to be any cheaper if you go to the Italian dealers website vs eBay.

I've never had the ECU flashed / dyno run carried out after fitting a replacement exhaust, if it's not much noisier / no great performance difference I don't see the point, unless the basic bike had issues before the replacement exhaust was fitted.
I'll have a look into those exhausts, thanks! I have actually seen some official Yamaha Akra systems go for around £400 on eBay in pretty good condition, just at that point I wasn't in a position to purchase one.

Also with the ECU flashing, it is quite important to remap the bike when you change the exhaust (and/or air filter), as both the MT-07, XSR700, and even the Tracer 700 all suffer from running lean from factory. This is because for the bikes to meet strict emission regulations, they have to be tightly controlled. When you change the exhaust from stock you are making this condition significantly worse as you are changing how the bike breathes, which in turn makes the engine run hotter and decrease the health and life time of the motorcycle.

I know a lot of people don't bother with the ECU flash as they will have moved onto another bike by the time it causes real issues but for around £150 for a flash it seems like a no brainer for me personally, especially when you factor in the better fuel economy, torque and power increases. You can also remove the harsh engine breaking too during an ECU flash, although I think that is a positive trait of the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats my personal choice, I also like the Scorpion but people say it scraps the tarmac if you lean hard.
The only and big issue its his price around 1k
That exhaust sounds awesome! it's got such a lot of high end character, similar to the Arrow I was looking at. Only issue for me is the price :s

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really should take a look at the Scorpion Serket Taper - I looks absolutely fantastic on the bike, fitting using the existing exhaust mounting points and so without unsightly brackets and bands.

It also hits the sweetspot for me, noise-wise, with the baffles installed - Much deeper/meatier and louder than the weedy stock unit but not getting in to the obnoxious zone that some of the Italian units do.
(If you remove even just the end baffle though, the noise level is equivalent to i.e. the SC Project Conic - you're not going to be popular with the neighbours.)
That exhaust does sound great in videos and it looks like it tucks away nicely so not to take away from the retro look, I might consider the Serket Taper if I can find one at the right price :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
That exhaust does sound great in videos and it looks like it tucks away nicely so not to take away from the retro look, I might consider the Serket Taper if I can find one at the right price :)
You can get 10% off buying it direct from Scorpion or find a 10% Ghostbikes coupon to bring it down to the same price.
I think it's reasonable value compared to some of the alternatives. The cheapest in the range Stainless Steel silencer version is a better aesthetic fit for the XSR than the slightly pricier Titanium or Carbon versions too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was wondering if anybody had any exhaust recommendations, or even just what exhaust you currently use and how you find it to live with?
Hey - I installed the IXIL Hyperlow Dual exhaust about 3 months ago. Absolutely love it, sounds great, has removable baffles and is fully homologated for noise / emissions levels so you shouldn't have any problems for the authorities...although I'm not sure if removing the baffles nullifies the homologated noise status?!

Either way, even with the baffles out its a very manageable volume for daily commuting - its loud, but I don't feel like a dick firing it up in the morning for the neighbours! Plus a lot of my biker mates have complimented the note. I wouldn't want to do long trips with the baffles out - you'd certainly want plugs for that. Also, the nice thing when putting the baffles in, is that it doesn't detract from the note. You lose some of that real bassy grumble but still sounds very nice.

Only think that may be a concern for you is the leary red and yellow logo on the side, as you said you didn't like the yellow arrow logo. I felt the same, but since installing the pipes and hearing it, it really became a non-issue for me...it does look to be only a sticker so may still try and remove it at some point, although I don't know then what I'd do with the riveted metal plate...

Anyway, here's a photo from a recent and a happy IXIL customer

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I bought LEOVINCE LV ONE EVO from EM Lineamoto store.
You have several options, I bought option 14251E.
I am very satisfied, because I bought a good quality exhaust for cheap price and it looks wonderful, sounds even better. :)

I would attach a video from Youtube, but I can`t due to forum (funny) rules.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ordered one (Leo Vince LV One EVO Stainless/Carbon tip Muffler #14251E ) today for my new 2020 - I searched a lot over the past month, watched a lot of videos, and considered any and all options - I think this stacks up as the best over all for my aesthetic tastes and over all cost/benefit/quality balance.

I do really like the SC Project Cone and seriously considered that one but felt it would be louder than I would like... I've got a really loud Ducati (I love) but as an old fart kind I'm over "LOUD" for a rider and just wanted some "deeper tone"

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just to add another option that seldom comes up.

A choice also has to take in what one wants for a look. I did not want the "packed under the engine" compact look, that many like, and I wanted maximum options for noise level. I wanted the longer more traditional look, which suited what I wanted for appearances - flat trackers run that style and I'm working toward a street tracker look.

If that is in one's range, look at the Delkevic systems. I went with the longest 18" muffler and also ordered the quieter baffle in the event that I felt the standard baffle was too loud, so I have three ranges from quietest, to regular baffle, to open straight thru muffler. The exhaust cost was under $400 with the extra baffle delivered in the U.S. They have offices in the UK, Australia, and U.S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was quite keen on an underbody but ended up with a termignoni, I felt it had the tone I was looking for, it comes with 2 baffles to change the volume, it sounds awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was quite keen on an underbody but ended up with a termignoni, I felt it had the tone I was looking for, it comes with 2 baffles to change the volume, it sounds awesome.
Agree. I've also purchased Termi last year. Started with DB-killer then pulled out. Sounds fantastic.

IMG_1034.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ordered one (Leo Vince LV One EVO Stainless/Carbon tip Muffler #14251E ) today for my new 2020 - I searched a lot over the past month, watched a lot of videos, and considered any and all options - I think this stacks up as the best over all for my aesthetic tastes and over all cost/benefit/quality balance.

I do really like the SC Project Cone and seriously considered that one but felt it would be louder than I would like... I've got a really loud Ducati (I love) but as an old fart kind I'm over "LOUD" for a rider and just wanted some "deeper tone"
Very pleased with the Leo Vince LV One EVO - installed it today and left both Db killers in - while I only started it in my small shop I thought the sound was perfect. Very easy fit and looks like the cornering clearance was not compromised. Knowing I've got a Db options to take it "up a notch" once I get it outside makes me happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts