XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

There's evidently a few exhausts out there for these, some are peanuts... others cost an arm and a leg.

personally my pockets don't run mega deep for these things so i feel my options are as follows;
second hand akrapovic = £450.00
new black widow = £320
second hand off brand i found on ebay = £120.00

Now i don't want to be a cheapskate and get the cheapest thing possible but i don't want to invest my entire pension into a new akra. is anyone able to provide insight as im sure there are others on here who faced similar dilemmas?

TIA

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same issue when I bought my XSR a few years ago. Liked the Akra but it was just too much £ I also fancied the SC Project - but again, at the time the cost & import risk put me off.

I went for a new Black Widow as they offer several options - I had a stubby can. I'd recommend ONLY if you want loud! Even with the baffle in it's loud - if you want something more neighbour friendly I'd look elsewhere.

A year after I bought it, Black Widow revised the mounting bracket & sent me one completely FOC - I can't fault their service.

If I did it again I'd either go with a new Black Widow, or try to pick up a 2nd hand SC.

God luck & let us know what you go for

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same issue when I bought my XSR a few years ago. Liked the Akra but it was just too much £ I also fancied the SC Project - but again, at the time the cost & import risk put me off.

I went for a new Black Widow as they offer several options - I had a stubby can. I'd recommend ONLY if you want loud! Even with the baffle in it's loud - if you want something more neighbour friendly I'd look elsewhere.

A year after I bought it, Black Widow revised the mounting bracket & sent me one completely FOC - I can't fault their service.

If I did it again I'd either go with a new Black Widow, or try to pick up a 2nd hand SC.

God luck & let us know what you go for

Thanks,

After your review think ill go for a black widow, at their price it does seem you cant fault em,

in regards to the tone of their exhaust is it deep like the akra?
also does it scrape on leaning

Thanks
tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Tom,

The bike I bought has a Yoshimura R77 exhaust system - it sounds really good but its a little bulky (however it is a million times better than stock)

Personally I think the SC Project 2-1 system is the one that looks best (in my opinion) at least for the café style look.

From the research I've done be careful as some might have long lead time so best ask first to make sure they there is stock.

Cheers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, exhaust tone very low and 'snarley', doesnt scrape anything but then it's not my 'knee down' bike!

It does pop and crackle on down shifts - some people would want to tune that out, but black widow say this isn't necessary. Personally I love it - always gets looks when going through Matlock !

Reactions: tjcheshire

·
Registered
621 Posts
Tom, you might want to prioritize why you want an aftermarket exhaust in the first place. Some people are only looking for something "louder", some people want to "clean up" the appearance of their bike, and others was to get a little performance boost in the process. As far as sound and appearance goes, they speak for themselves and different people have their own ideas about what is good and what's not. If performance is your goal, you'll probably spend a litle more because you won't just be looking at an exhaust. If the exhaust really does increase the performance, power wise, you'll be adding some kind of fueling modifier or a re-flash of your ECU. Horse power isn't cheap any more and it's getting more expensive because the off the shelf bikes are already far more powerful than they were twenty years ago when it was very easy to get a few more ponies on the cheap. There are plenty of videos of different exhausts and reviews of how well they perform. Just take some time and you can make your own decision on what fits both your preference and your pocket book.

·
Registered
544 Posts
And consider the impact on the general public. They are in the majority and can push for regulation on noise.

I am one of the vain, I did an exhaust to get the tone and volume I wanted - lower stronger tone, with low enough noise as to not have any problems. I got it, but not with a short under-bike system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am one of those who are looking for an exhaust because of the sound. Like the deep sound of the Akra titanium, SC project, and IXIL HL. It is hard the hear through youtube. Anyone with suggestions?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Deep sound can be had by almost any exhaust. It usually comes down to the actual volume. Some choose to be as noisy as possible, kind of like the "loud pipes save lives" group. Fact is more and more, racing is requiring functional mufflers. So if you buy a racing exhaust, it may be both illegal and totally intrusive on people who do not want to hear loud bikes. On the other hand there are exhausts that can be relatively quiet. Some sites may list the dB of the exhaust. I know Delkevic does. I went with their full exhaust with the longest muffler, which they claim at 96 dB, about the lowest before the pipes are extremely loud, some are on the verge of being able to damage hearing. Based on the sound of my bike with the 18" muffler and quiet core, they are pretty much spot on. It isn't loud enough to bother the average person, yet it has a sweet mellow tone.

I would say if you want to be sure you buy something you will like, wait until you can get to see and hear an FZ, MT, or XSR that has an aftermarket exhaust. They are all pretty much the same exhaust system. Maybe hit some races if possible and look around to see.

·
Registered
464 Posts
[..]
Now i don't want to be a cheapskate and get the cheapest thing possible but i don't want to invest my entire pension into a new akra. is anyone able to provide insight as im sure there are others on here who faced similar dilemmas?

TIA

Good news are, you can save your pension! There is already an exhaust installed at your actual ride and no other or alternative exhaust is needed.
You told us, you are new to motorcycle riding. So there are some other good things to spend your money for. Very important is, keep on riding, spend as much time in riding and put miles on your experience clock. Take motorcycle riding as serious as possible. It is no filler between two other exciting activities. Riding takes your full attention and do not forget to smile under your helmet. When you smile you are relaxed and only a relaxed rider will do best.

With the kilometers and distances to ride, you will spend your money for fuel, tires and service. This is very good. You will learn what of your gear has to be improved or added as well.
Book some driving trainings. This is a bunch of fun allover the day and will increase your experience enormously. You will also learn and see, if there is a suspension upgrade is needed. See your other topic.

On the brake, is there too much diving, for example. The coach is the right person for your questions. If you are training your leaning skills and increasing your curve speeds, you will understand if there is a suspension upgrade needed.

And with all the miles on your clock, you will understand as well, there is no other exhaust needed. Most exhausts are louder barely one has a deep tone. They all sound like a MT125 on dope. And with that noise directly under you, it is no fun to ride all day long.
If you intend to leave Britannia on your bike, you may also pay attention for a Euro4 legal exhaust. Brings us back to the beginning, the best and cheapest exhaust is already installed. And for motorcycle riding and enjoying your ride, no other exhaust is needed.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an Akra Titanium and I can say that it is not loud, with the baffle installed, and has an improved look and tone. No backfires on my bike, but I have not done any airbox or filter mods.

·
Registered
544 Posts
For what it is worth, popping and crackle on decel is not a negative thing. Not big bangs, but the crackle and popping. It is just the lean condition caused by mostly closed throttle at higher rpm than idle. Common on carbureted bikes and less common on EFI. I would guess it would be fairly unusual on stock XSRs, I understand they pretty much shut off the fuel on decel until near idle rpm. That fueling is also why some experience the jerky throttle response, going from zero fuel to fuel on.

What I say is verified by Mikuni when they are talking about carbs for sure. click here

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hey guys.
I am in exactly the same situation right now.

I considered the same exhausts as above, but also the Arrow. I rejected the Akra for the same high-price reasons (~£1000+ if ordered through my bike dealer).
I was pretty much set on the Black Widow 200mm carbon oval, but I'm hesitant because of the noise. Black Widow have told me the noise level is around 98 dB.
Akra nor SC Project specify their noise levels for their EURO4 products, except for Akra's racing line, which is rated at 98.4 dB. The Arrow is rated at 91dB.
Akra rates the XSR700 stock exhaust at 91dB, with Arrow rating it at 89dB at the same 4500 RPM.
This was pushing me to the SC Project CR-T, but being in the UK, 800 EUR (~ 700 GBP) + 20% VAT + Import Duty (£?) seems too expensive. On top of that, it takes between 3 to 6 weeks to arrive.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Is there anything further that can be done to the Black Widow to dampen the sound?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys.
I am in exactly the same situation right now.

I considered the same exhausts as above, but also the Arrow. I rejected the Akra for the same high-price reasons (~£1000+ if ordered through my bike dealer).
I was pretty much set on the Black Widow 200mm carbon oval, but I'm hesitant because of the noise. Black Widow have told me the noise level is around 98 dB.
Akra nor SC Project specify their noise levels for their EURO4 products, except for Akra's racing line, which is rated at 98.4 dB. The Arrow is rated at 91dB.
Akra rates the XSR700 stock exhaust at 91dB, with Arrow rating it at 89dB at the same 4500 RPM.
This was pushing me to the SC Project CR-T, but being in the UK, 800 EUR (~ 700 GBP) + 20% VAT + Import Duty (£?) seems too expensive. On top of that, it takes between 3 to 6 weeks to arrive.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Is there anything further that can be done to the Black Widow to dampen the sound?
im an importer i can potentially figure out the duty rate on it if that helps you whittle the options down?

·
Registered
10 Posts
im an importer i can potentially figure out the duty rate on it if that helps you whittle the options down?
That would be fantastic, thank you. I have been on at HMRC today as I have no idea what the commodity code is, and they've given me a response time of 5 working days. I was hoping to let the dealer know this weekend on which exhaust I'm choosing as they're offering free fitting, but waiting to order and receive it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be fantastic, thank you. I have been on at HMRC today as I have no idea what the commodity code is, and they've given me a response time of 5 working days. I was hoping to let the dealer know this weekend on which exhaust I'm choosing as they're offering free fitting, but waiting to order and receive it.
wheres it coming from?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As SC Project have no UK importer or dealer here, I imagine it comes directly from them, which would be Italy.
Oh, Easy then. we've got trade deal with the EU (thankyou Boris) should be duty free, rebut anyone that tries to charge you duty on it

see under European union (1013)
0.0%

so just your standard 20% vat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, Easy then. we've got trade deal with the EU (thankyou Boris) should be duty free, rebut anyone that tries to charge you duty on it

see under European union (1013)
0.0%

so just your standard 20% vat
See, I thought that also. I'd heard reports in the news this last week about people who had complained about receiving additional duty charges on products, but then that's my fault for reading the news.
Also this page under the "Customs Duty" section for goods over £135 made me second-guess it.

Thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See, I thought that also. I'd heard reports in the news this last week about people who had complained about receiving additional duty charges on products, but then that's my fault for reading the news.
Also this page under the "Customs Duty" section for goods over £135 made me second-guess it.

Thanks for confirming.
No that link just refers to paying duty on items from outside eu or paying duty on items from the eu and uk importing into northern ireland. watchout for people like fedex charging their own customs clearance fees. when you buy the exhaust if theres no conditions to pay anything else but vat and the cost of the exhaust itself then that is all you should pay, people like fedex like putting their own 12 quid on there. just refuse to pay and ask for amended invoice from them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts