XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found the exact same mesh as used on the bike to do the detailing on the side pannels and feet guards?
I want to keep it the same if possible.

·
Registered
191 Posts
same boat here... I decided to replace the whole lot with a different mesh. It's not difficult to replace the one on the right side of the bike, which I think that is the only one that comes standard with the bike.

My plan is to add (replace, as I had already bought the mesh inserts from yamaha) the mesh on the side panels, on the akra high exhaust heat protections, on the hole on the left side just above the radiator, holes on the radiator side protections and maybe the heel plates. The best mesh I found was made of steel... not sure if it is going to rust quickly, but it's only a few euros...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does look good i must admit but id really like to put the same mesh on it....im a fuss ass....... come on yamaha where did u get it from!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks to me like its...now search this, hexagonal perforated steel mesh...measure the holes and boom, you shoukd get it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the stuff mattbanks ure a legend thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Beware mild steel!

I don't want to be a spoil sport....but being mild steel, won't it rust? I'd go for stainless, even if the mesh is a little different. I used 10 guage stainless in my side panels - I think the woven rather than perforated sheet looks better.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
You are right. It will rust. I made some tests with the steel mesh that I'm using and it does rust if left in water overnight. As I couldn't find an AL or inox mesh that I liked I ended up painting the steel mesh with anti rust paint and sealed it with a layer of varnish. Hopefully it will hold... if not I'll need to replace it.

Will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I think I'll replace the existing perforated sheet as well for aesthetics, as you did. Woven stainless sheets (15 x 15cm) are inexpensive and easy to trim to size.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think I'll replace the existing perforated sheet as well for aesthetics, as you did. Woven stainless sheets (15 x 15cm) are inexpensive and easy to trim to size.
the thread needs to be reasonably thick... the ones I can find around here were too thin, too flexible... wouldn't hold the shape if you stick a finger to it...

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is how it ended up... colour is greyish, matches the top of the tank. On the right I replaced the original yamaha mesh, and did the side covers, and akra exhaust. On the left, filled the hole over the voltage regulator (matches the right side, did yamaha run out of mesh???), and the side covers. Also did the little thingy in front of the starter key, ( not pictured... ).

I doubt it will last, so still looking for the perfect mesh that doesn't rust (I like the pattern of the one I have, matches the radiator cover as well, but also wouldn't mind the original honeycomb from yamaha).

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I meant to say it will rust if just left but if sealed with clear coat or similar it should be ok. I could not find any stainless in the same perforation

·
Registered
321 Posts
That looks really darn nice. I think it matches well and should hold up for a decent amount of time as well. Is a good opportunity to see exactly how long it'll last as well though for anyone else looking to take this route

1 - 15 of 15 Posts