XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Whilst riding my engine warning light illuminated (yellow) and has stayed on. Nothing physically appears to be problematic with the bike.
I bought an OBDII reader and have the following 2 error codes and 5 freeze frames. Can anyone advise on what may be the cause and if I should reset them?

Codes-

Freeze frames-

·
Registered
457 Posts
Are you talking about the ABS light or the actual engine light? By the looks of the errors, I'd check my battery voltage and make sure it's up to snuff. I don't see those codes in my book but the ECU reference could be caused by a power problem, especially if it's intermittent, as in a loose connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s the actual check engine light although the ABS light has come on a couple of times whilst riding and stayed lit, but this goes off after restarting the bike.

No electrical problems seem to be present apart from the warning light. There are heated grips installed. I’ll have a look at the wiring and battery. Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
The ABS should be on at startup but then go out and stay out after you get moving. I've heard about some ABS problems but don't remember anyone complaining about having an engine warning light in conjunction with the ABS issue.. It might take an actual Yamaha diag. tool to read and understand those codes. Just not sure whether or not the ODB you've got is capable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both error codes can be linked to low battery power.
And the freeze frames indicate that the codes were thrown while the bike wasnt running.

This doesnt make sense with you telling this happened during a ride.
Was the ride in heavy rain?
Check your battery voltage and clear the codes? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dennis

Thanks for your reply. The ride was dry, I haven’t ridden at all in heavy rain. I am almost certain the light came on mid-ride, I check the dash regularly and would have noticed the yellow light.

I haven’t checked the battery voltage yet as I don't have a voltmeter to hand, but I cleared the codes and rode for an hour yesterday without using the heated grips and everything was fine. I just suspect it might be the grips as they are the only aftermarket electronic part. I’ll continue riding without using them and see if anything changes. In the meantime I’ll get a multimeter and see what the battery is doing!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I suppose it could be the grip's load on the system but if they are installed properly they shouldn't be drawing that much juice. I have Oxford heated grips on my V7 and I use them a lot (I have Raynauds and get cold hands very easily) but have never had a problem and last summer I had a pretty crappy trip coming back home from Rhinelander, WI in the cold rain some 450 miles all the way with the grips on #2 heat and no problems at all. As long as your bike is charging properly and you don't have a bunch of ancillary equipment drawing power, you shouldn't have a problem. Take a multi meter put it across the battery terminals, leave your grips in the off position, start your bike, check the voltage, then turn on the grips and check the voltage. If the grips are the issue, you should see quite a drop. A good charge rate should be about 13.5 V or a bit better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think youre right Flyerdon, if there is to much voltage drop when the engine is running there most certain are problems with the charging or battery.

My XSR has the yamaha oem heated grips and they are connected directly to the battery and is sensing the voltage.
So if you turn the bike of the heated grips turn themself off when the voltage drops to low.
If the battery is at the end of life or at low charge for some reason then the next startup the voltage might drop low enough to throw fault codes, even if the bikes starts up and then charges again.

I think they are connected this way because its easier and cheaper than splicing in to a switched power and using relay, they probably draw to much power just to hijack some other switched power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts