XSR 700 Forums banner

Engine not turning over at all - HELP please!

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  EricV 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I went to start my engine and it's not turning over at all - nothing happens at all! The dash and headlights come on as normal after turning the key and I've fully charged and checked the battery by bypassing. I've checked all the fuses, including main fuse and no luck there. I've also taken apart the starter switch and all connections seem to be working fine and are well lubed up.
Admittedly I have left it for just over a month in the cold garage while I was abroad, with very little fuel in it, but have since topped it up. I find it hard to believe that the fuel line could be clogged given how new the bike is.

Any idea what else could be wrong? I'm keen to sort myself if possible and unfortunately I no longer have the Yamaha assist (expired last month!). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

With my Honda CB750 out also, I'm at a loss for things to keep me away from the family!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

#5 ·
If it's not turning over at all, it definitely sounds electrical rather than fuel related. On most bikes I'd suspect the kill switch had been activated accidently but this isn't possible with the XSR set up. I'd look at the side stand switch, as nightic suggests. Even if it's in neutral, a malfunction here could still operate the engine cut out. There's a lot of salt, crud and water on the roads at the moment which could fester nicely during a month or so in a cosy garage! Give all your switches and connections a good squirt of WD40. Let us know the culprit when you find it.

#8 ·
Hi all,
I went to start my engine and it's not turning over at all - nothing happens at all! The dash and headlights come on as normal after turning the key and I've fully charged and checked the battery by bypassing. I've checked all the fuses, including main fuse and no luck there. I've also taken apart the starter switch and all connections seem to be working fine and are well lubed up.
Admittedly I have left it for just over a month in the cold garage while I was abroad, with very little fuel in it, but have since topped it up. I find it hard to believe that the fuel line could be clogged given how new the bike is.

Any idea what else could be wrong? I'm keen to sort myself if possible and unfortunately I no longer have the Yamaha assist (expired last month!). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

With my Honda CB750 out also, I'm at a loss for things to keep me away from the family!

Thanks in advance!

Chris
I had this issue yesterday. It was simple to fix, I needed more gas. I had like a 1/8 of a tank left and it was about 45 degrees outside. I went to the local gas station and grabbed a gallon. I returned to my bike and filled it up and it chugged up and ran fine within a minute or so. Some revving needed!

#10 ·
Check the dates before posting gents. This is a four year old thread. The OP is probably long gone. Shame they didn't update with what they found as the problem or their solution. Likely was a stuck side stand switch, given the symptoms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.