XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make a difference to the sound/tone, all else being equal?
Trying to decide whether to spend an extra £95 for a carbon can on a LeoVince Evo system.
For some reason I assume carbon would give a bassier/lower frequency tone than steel.
Does it make any difference or are different end can materials simply for aesthetics and cost?

·
Registered
315 Posts
My limited experience is that the same exhaust will sound the same regardless of the material of the external sleeve, carbon, stainless, Titanium, aluminum, etc. It's the size/baffle design and end cap angles that create the sound. It's not a musical instrument where the container impacts the tone like a violin.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ha! Now I consider my exhaust to be a musical instrument, the tunes it plays..😃

Carbon fibre will resonate more than steel because it is not as solid, they vibrate more which is the sound waves. You don't see many Ducatis with carbon fibre cans because they blow them apart, too much power.
Weight is a major factor with pipes and I think titanium is the lightest and strongest at the moment.
Saying that, the materials used on the xsr pipes makes little difference because they are just not making enough power to alter the sound. As Eric says it more about the length girth and restrictions along its route that will change the tone.

·
Registered
315 Posts
@nickmac73 gets a point for his musical tunes. ;) I had Arrow Carbon fibre cans on my Ducate 900SS and they were never going to blow out. I did replace one due to my poor judgement of letting a friend ride that bike, whom crashed it, but that's another story. That bike was never happy until it got over 145kph and that was going to get me tickets w/o careful use of the wrist. It moved on to a less cautious owner after about a year. :cool:

Carbon fiber is lighter than titanium and strength is about the weave, composition, thermoset Vs Thermoplastic and how it's used in the application. The sleeve on a simple round or oval exhaust does not need to be very strong, it's the end caps that create the structure that gives the sleeve strength making the tube more resistant to flexing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts