XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading on the Z900RS forum that soon, manufacturers will be making ECUs that are locked and won't be able to be re-flashed. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with Euro 5 specs or not but the word is, there won't be any changing ECU's in the future so be ware, changing exhaust and intake with the intent of correcting that with a reflash in the ECU may soon not be possible. FYI

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the info. Great news for Z900RS owners is their current exhaust already sounds great. But airbox mods I heard were being done to open her up and would require a flash. Does the big 4 ruin the aftermarket? Does the aftermarket find a way over and around?

Would like to hear what you like more (and maybe a little less) than your old xsr700 since you've had a couple months to acclimate.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Most (all) of those ECU flashing huts do not tell the whole story anyhow. In a honest world they have to admit, that they have to hack or crack the OEM's ECU. Something which does not go aline with IP. Those ECU flashers also do not tell you, if they are the hackers themselves or that they pay a lot of fees to use a hack.

In earlier days you was able to see how much a flash offering hut was paying, just by the depth of features they can manipulate. Today it is a little bit more difficult, because a lot of them tell you a lot of nonsense. Or to make it short, they can everything with ease. Thank you fancy websites...
In in these forums here, there was a user's experience told, in which the XSR ran on highhigh fuel consumption after flashing the ECU. Bad thing, that the user never told the end of the story.

For a simple example what nonsense those professional tuners like to tell you, take this: Sales guy tuning blah blah

There is an elder version, which might be edited, as they realised by themselves, that they were telling rubbish. Anyhow, they published it where they can, so it is no offending, it is just measuring them on their own words.
In an elder version they were already offering a Tenere T7 tune flash at a moment, when no T7 was at European owners. What a professional hut, that fast (!), I can just send out my respect :rolleyes:

So, it would be useful to have a regulation in which hacking the ECU is simply forbidden. In my opinion it makes no sense to load the task, make the ECU unpickable, to the manufacturers. Because there will be every time somebody which will hack it. Or people go and replace it by a fully 'open access' ECU?

The good side of such a regulation is, that those flasher huts will disappear. They more or less do nothing than adding some seconds and amounts of fuel to single operation points of the injection curve. This is no real tuning, it is just a bad job to the environment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right now you can reflash the ECU yourself with a $349 power vision. I hope that ability doesn't go away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts