XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the ECU on the XSR700 is restricted for the first 1500 kms to stop you from thrashing the engine. Mine has just clicked over 1200kms and seems to be more responsive. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Where did you read that? I'd be staggered if that is the case. Your engine components should become a bit more bedded in after a few hundred km so the bike should start to feel a bit less 'tight'.
The bad news is that, being in Aus, yours is permanently restricted anyway! :cry:

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you are on your open license you could de-restrict it yourself (not sure if totally legal but it would be worse if caught when on a restricted license...)
The simplest thing is to change the throttle plate, available on evilBay for about $30. There are other mods that can be done (airbox and ECU flash) but they require more work for less gain.

·
Registered
331 Posts
More internet lore...

As said, the engine components will seat and wear in. Piston rings wear in and work smoother as do other parts, thus the term "break in". Initially as these wear in they will run a bit hotter, due to more friction, like piston rings definitely fit this situation, thus the reason for not running hard and why the engine really shouldn't be run on long drones at consistent rpm.

But thanks for a bit of entertainment though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, guys. I agree with yr comments. Not sure where I read it, or maybe a YouTube vid. Didn't sound right, but bike seems to respond better post 1000km and recent oil change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
...bike seems to respond better post 1000km and recent oil change.
That's because you're not being as gentle with it. ;)

If you were to de-restrict it you can take the bike off the LAMS register, at the department of transport in Queensland or presumably the relevant department in your state. The change is permanent and you should also let your insurer know as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may be right. It's very subjective. I'd say it's become less twitchy on throttle and smoother acceleration. Purely subjective.

In terms of mods, I've decided not to do anything (else) until I really get to know the bike. That said, I swapped handlebars this week to low-rise. Much more comfortable seating position and my coxxis says 'Thank you'. Don't know why Yamaha doesn't save us all the trouble and put'em as standard.

Test will be a long ride when C-19 permits....out to Yea and back (can't wait).

Happy trails, man!

·
Registered
40 Posts
More internet lore...

As said, the engine components will seat and wear in. Piston rings wear in and work smoother as do other parts, thus the term "break in". Initially as these wear in they will run a bit hotter, due to more friction, like piston rings definitely fit this situation, thus the reason for not running hard and why the engine really shouldn't be run on long drones at consistent rpm.

But thanks for a bit of entertainment though.
I have completed the initial 600 mile run in and have taken it on a couple of runs since where it is running at nearly constant speeds of around 70-80 for periods of time (10-20 mins on the motorway) and the temp settles at 82c whereas in traffic in urban areas crawling along it gets up into the high 90's so I don't think runs at high constant speeds get the engine hot even with only 825mls on the clock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comment on another discussion about snatchy clutch suggested this improved after first oil change. Maybe this is the 'smoother' ride I'm experiencing.
Disclosure: This is my first Yamaha and brand new bike....a learning curve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts