XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In a bit of a shift from adventure bikes, which I have gone a little tired of now, looking forward to some exciting times on the XRS700 which I am due to collect at the weekend.
The plan was to get a stock bike and do a super 7 conversion, but as would luck would have it, found one for a bargain price that was already done. In stock trim the XSR looks a dam fine bike, but the Super 7 is just dreamy (IMHumbleO).

Only slight concern is, one of practicality, coming from adv bikes, I will have to get used to wearing a rucksack. Small price to pay for what I hope will be the ideal bike for my neck of the woods, (South West Wales).

If anyone is interested I will gladly post some pics of the new iron once it’s in the safety of its new garage.

It’s got silly Knobbly tyres on at the moment, mainly for show, but was wondering before I swap them for some decent road tyres, perhaps I should let her rip on some local forest fire trails first and take advantage of the knoblies whilst they are on. Anyone here tested an XSR on anything other than tarmac? would be interested to hear any stories if you have, or reasons why you have not / would not. I have read the stock suspension is on the soft side so it may actually make a reasonable fist out of the trails. It’s the after trail deep clean that frightens me at the moment.

That’s all for now.

Iron Horse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can't add anything on your question about tires. Still using the original Phantom Sportscomp. Good on dry roads. Not so good in wet roads.

One month later and +600 km, and I'm still loving this bike.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Welcome, Ironhorse. Interesting comment on adventure bikes ....... I have an AT but I find myself grabbing my XSR for solo rides every time - it's more fun and easier to push in and out of the garage! I've had a whole series of tall adv bikes but have also reached the point where I'm looking for something 'in between' for touring and pillion trips - I've pretty much settled on a Tracer 700 as a new stablemate for my XSR.

As to tires, there are a few members here who've fitted knobblies and do a bit of gravel riding on their XSRs - look through the tyres threads. The XSR will be enormous fun on the roads you have over there - enjoy it!

PS I last cleaned my bikes back in 2017!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome Ironhorse! I too came from an adventure bike (Super Tenere). Bike was lovely, but it was too practical, too efficient, too detached.
The XSR is how I remember biking, windblast, nowhere to put anything, small, light, sounds daft, but all that seems to enhance the experience. I'ts given my biking buzz a kick up the arse!

As for tyres, I am sure Wales probably gets as much of the damp stuff as Scotland. The OEM tyres do well in the warm and dry but I have found them a little vague in the wet. I think I will be swithcing to something more wet weather focused when the time comes.

If you do decide to try the bike out on some fire roads, I would recommend getting something to protect the oil filter and coolant reservoir. They are both in the firing line for whatever the front tyre throws at them.

Anyway, enjoy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome ironhorse
Ross noble was once asked if he favoured "adventure bikes " he commented surely all bikes are adventure bikes including his first a tomos moped from woolies.
He said he had enjoyed many adventures on it around norththumberland. I have to agree with him I bought my xsr for adventures.
Enjoy your new bike and we look forward to updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tiger John. Fortunately I don’t carry a pillion very often (in fact never anymore ) there was a time me and the missus would strap a load of gear to the current steed, and blast off on long trips around Europe, but as she gets older her enthusiasm for being on the bike has wained. So I am hopeful the XSR will be all the bike I need.

I will be sure to look up some off road threads.
Ref cleaning, does the XSR stand up well to poor cleaning regimes? I had imagined at such a low entry price point, they may get a little fury if neglected due to thinner paint or lesser quality nuts and bolts etc. I am struggling to see where else Yamaha could have cost saved to make this bike so price competitive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mellow Yellow and Iron Giant.

Ref adv bikes, I am in the same school of thought, they just don’t have the grin factor I’m after, they seem to have morphed into boring touring bikes without any real pazaz and more importantly, they don’t urge me to take that last admiring look at it as I close the garage door. I have the same hunger to get back to basics with my bikes and if nothing else, the adventure element should be heightened on a more focused light machine. Plus more of a challenge.

One of the best adventures I had was riding the coast of Britain on a moped, I did it for charity and it took me 3 weeks, but what an amazing experience, so I 100% agre with Mr Nobles comments.

Tyre wise, I have always rated Bridgestone battle axes on road bikes, so I may start there with a Tyre I know and trust, although they are a sports touring Tyre, I think they have the versatility do do what I need.

As soon as this weather dries out ( which could be a while given I live in statisticaly the wettest part of the Uk) I will give the fire trails a blast and report back. Good call on oil filter and cooling protection, will look into it. Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts