XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is pretty much here and I'm too old for the cold so I park the bike up. Usually I just syphon the petrol out and put fresh in when I'm ready to go again. However with E10 now being the norm I want to drain it out completely. At the moment I'm thinking syphon it as much as possible then run it til it runs out completely.

Unless anyone knows of an easier way?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You should be able to siphon out most of it, remove your tank trim panels and left the tank up a little bit. Remove the quick-release line at the bottom of the tank, attach a regular rubber hose to the fuel pump outlet, then just turn the ignition to ON (don't try to start the bike). This should cause the fuel pump to prime/run until it reaches operating pressure, which won't happen since you have the other end of your rubber hose in your fuel canister.

Having said that, E10 is fine to sit in these tanks. They are designed to be used with E5 and E10 fuels and it is even called out in the manual. These are not like older bikes with rubber parts not designed for E10 that will swell and muck things up.

Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Parallel
Smile Rectangle Font Magenta Circle

Also from your owners' manual:
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Document

As mentioned in other threads about winter storage, if you're able to fire the bike up to operating temp about once a month, this will keep the battery charged and should prevent any issues when you are ready for a ride in the spring.

If you do decide to drain the tank, you'd be wise to connect a trickle charger to the battery every 3-4 weeks to keep the voltage up; batteries will discharge over time and remaining in a low voltage state for extended periods will shorten the lifespan of the battery. It is also a good idea to put fresh oil in the bike before putting it away for several months to remove any contaminants present in used oil; you don't want those sitting in your crankcase for a long time. Not critical but a 'nice' thing to do for your motor if you can.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Personally, I'd keep the tank full..... if your garage is anything like mine, cold damp air can lead to rusting inside the tank. I'd run the engine for a few minutes occasionally too. E10 fuel will keep OK for a few months..... add stabiliser if it gives you peace of mind but it really won't need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, one of the things against E10 is it does absorb moisture which would make storing it in a damp garage worse?
My storage is pretty dry so I'm lucky there, it was the rotting of stuff that was bothering me but the handbook does indeed say it's ok.
For the battery the best thing I bought was a solar charger. As long as the battery is good and charged first it just keeps it topped up ok. No problems so far.
I usually change the oil and filter in the spring depending on how much ive abused it. So every year. View attachment 26797 View attachment 26797

1 - 4 of 4 Posts