XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather is warming in Aus and we've just come out of lock-down so I'm finally putting a few K's on my 4mo XSR700...finally.

This has happened 4 times in the last 2 weeks: If I'm too lazy to engine break&rev match as I approach a red light, I'll ease on the brakes and gear-down as I approach. I'll tap down twice from 4th, come to a stop and look at my display...no gear is listed. I tap up and down but can't find a gear, still blank. If I release the clutch it stalls, it's in gear.

I have to ease off the clutch slowly, feel a click, then shift down to find a gear. Very strange, indeed. Is it the bike or is it me?

May be coincidence but first time this happened was riding back from first service. Would new oil do this to the bike?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It happen to me too when I'm training emergency breaking and try to down shift to quick.

I think it's us not the bike :) It just "prefers" that we don't down shift 2 gears without releasing the clutch lever.
The oil change I believe it's just a coincidence.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I only learned to shift about 50 years ago and sometimes it still happens to me. Just happens that the shift is incomplete, still in gear, but not totally engaged, thus the gear read out is blank, but when the clutch is released the bike stalls. Usually happens like it does for Toxana. When multiple downshifts are made without releasing the clutch the gear box may fail to engage when stopped. If shifter dogs don't quite line up they will hit and not engage the gear. Slightly releasing the clutch will provide enough movement of the gear box to engage the gear and continue downshifting.

Happens to me on my KLX as well as my XSR, did on the Nighthawk S and both GL1100 naked Wings as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Weather is warming in Aus and we've just come out of lock-down so I'm finally putting a few K's on my 4mo XSR700...finally.

This has happened 4 times in the last 2 weeks: If I'm too lazy to engine break&rev match as I approach a red light, I'll ease on the brakes and gear-down as I approach. I'll tap down twice from 4th, come to a stop and look at my display...no gear is listed. I tap up and down but can't find a gear, still blank. If I release the clutch it stalls, it's in gear.

I have to ease off the clutch slowly, feel a click, then shift down to find a gear. Very strange, indeed. Is it the bike or is it me?

May be coincidence but first time this happened was riding back from first service. Would new oil do this to the bike?
I notice a bit of a difference in shifting when using different oils.
The stock Yamalube felt like gear shifts were a bit more clunky/notchy than with Silkolene semi-synthetic
How many Km on your bike now? consider a different oil when needs a change and see if it makes a difference for you

·
Registered
25 Posts
this happened to me when emergency braking - got stuck in the void between second, neutral, and first, couldn't shift up or down and ending up stalling it (wish i had turned off the engine myself :cautious:). my clutch cable was too loose at the time and making other shifts pretty bad too, though. might be worth checking the slack?. but since it's happened to others, probably just a characteristic of the gearbox

1 - 8 of 8 Posts