XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! New member here with this beautiful bike.

Reading recent post didn't find anything related display malfunction. Yesterday when I was turning on my bike the display was complete crazy. Never happened something similar and I did not touche anything from the electrical system.
Dealer told me that they will give me a new one(still in warranty time) but need to wait 4-5 months :( and riding is kind sad in this way.
Is this problem a common one? Somebody here already has this issue? Any possible ideas to fix it? :(

Thanks and sorry for my English 馃
Vehicle Speedometer Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

Registered
I've seen FZ-07 dash problems from cold (but it was near zero temps) and rain.

Any weather changes that include high humidity? Rain? Recent bike wash? If it is water problem, others took hair dryer to internals, warm and dry they came back to life without damage.

Registered
You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 secs and reseat the cable that goes into the meter. I don't know whether the meter uses the CanBus, if it does then it could be a communication error from the ECU.
The only thing that would worry me is the fact that the dealer has agreed to change it and if you cause another problem will he refuse to go ahead with the repair if you have started your own troubleshooting? (I worry a lot, though :rolleyes:).

Registered
I had a very similar problem to this when I first got the bike. I tried so many things, removing and cleaning, I tried cleaning the connectors, checked fault codes, checked the battery.

In the end the only thing that fixed it was a new display unit, and so if they're offering that I would certainly accept.

Mine was doing this sometimes:

Watch Vehicle Motor vehicle Gadget Speedometer

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Gauge

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen FZ-07 dash problems from cold (but it was near zero temps) and rain.

Any weather changes that include high humidity? Rain? Recent bike wash? If it is water problem, others took hair dryer to internals, warm and dry they came back to life without damage.
I live on the coast with a lot of humidity, like 90% every day, and checking with the club, nobody has had this problem in the past.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 secs and reseat the cable that goes into the meter. I don't know whether the meter uses the CanBus, if it does then it could be a communication error from the ECU.
The only thing that would worry me is the fact that the dealer has agreed to change it and if you cause another problem will he refuse to go ahead with the repair if you have started your own troubleshooting? (I worry a lot, though :rolleyes:).
The dealer check the entire electrical system, even changing the battery to a new one just to try it, and still the same issue, I'm still thinking if I want to open the display and cleaning with contact spray, not sure if is easiest not to leave a mark :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a very similar problem to this when I first got the bike. I tried so many things, removing and cleaning, I tried cleaning the connectors, checked fault codes, checked the battery.

In the end the only thing that fixed it was a new display unit, and so if they're offering that I would certainly accept.

Mine was doing this sometimes:

View attachment 27605

View attachment 27604
the new one is working perfectly? and also when you open the old display was easy? I'm still wondering if I want to open and try to clean it, I mean, if mine could be a little better in this months that I need to wait for the new one :(

Registered
the new one is working perfectly? and also when you open the old display was easy? I'm still wondering if I want to open and try to clean it, I mean, if mine could be a little better in this months that I need to wait for the new one :(
Yes worked perfectly from the moment I plugged it in, and was a second hand unit from another bike, it didn't need any programming other than correcting the millage as the millage is stored in the unit itself, or at least in my model

Opening it up was easy enough, a couple of screws at the back and it's open - I opened up the internal casing and looked for things like blown capacitors but from my very limited electrical knowledge but it looked completely fine.

I did find however that once I had it inside my home and the unit was warmer, it worked a little better, but given how hot the world is this week I can't see that making a difference for you.

Registered
There are some second hand ones on eBay:

Perhaps you could buy now, await the replacement, and then sell the second hand one on eBay afterwards, just making a small loss...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts