XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instrument display select button positions were apparently selected by Yamaha's legal department to (in theory) encourage you to pull over to change the selected. I was checking out a guy's Vilpin at the coffee shop yesterday and it has a similar display set-up, but with a left handlebar function scroll display function - handy. Has any of our electronically inclined members hacked or better found a splice in scroll button rig that can be LH handlebar push-button rig that can be installed to enhance user friendlyness?

George
Vancouver BC

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you could get the appropriate wiring diagram for the later models, maybe it would e possible to splice into the appropriate wires and just add a couple push buttons from Motogadget, though they are not cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like to be able to check coolant temp, outside temp, fuel consumption and km since fuel top-off and current time mostly.

As an aside, looking at picture of '22 models, it appears that it's still the same seet-up as my '21 for having the selector buttons next to the gage. I don't see any difference in the LH switch either that would be there for gage display. Am I missing something?

And for contemplating getting creative, I can't find any info on line that would help me to determine what wires go between the buttons and the gage. It would have to be disassemble and look to figure that out. Not too gung-ho about that before seeing a diagram. Anybody have something like that? It would be in the instrument and not and externalconnection I wouldn't think (diagram-wise). Might not be available. Might talk to my Yamaha shop guys and see if they have any ideas. Probably recommend:DON'T FUCK WITH IT! or if you insist locate a replacement and have a fire extinguisher handy!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Here is my total take on the button crap.

I'm not one to screw with display while riding, because it seems if you do the wrong combination you suddenly find your speed is wacked! For me if I make a mistake with gloves on I end up doing 80... 80 kph versus 60 mph. Total distraction from riding - dangerous. Then I have to pull over and screw with the buttons to get back on what I need.

I don't worry about coolant temperature, I figure the thermostat and fan will take care of that and if not, the idiot light will let me know I have a problem. I usually set the reading on my "fuel trip meter", the one I zero out when filling up, so I know how many miles I have gone on a tank full.

If there was a better button set up on the handlebar it might be nice, but if it is the same clumsy two button thing I'm not wanting it. I'd rather see a more inclusive display, not seeing why it is a problem to have a display that shows the important stuff all the time, with things like trip meters and ambient temperature in some rotational display. Show the coolant temp and maybe oil pressure all the time. Heck, my 1996 Ford Ranger I drive and the 95 Chevy S10 I drove had oil pressure, coolant temperature, voltage display, and fuel gauges.

Why is it a problem to do a stack of three numbers - temp, pressure, voltage - in an instrument display. Three number LED display or at least two numbers with the pressure and temperature. Not hard, no fumbling with buttons, quick to look instead of a distraction requiring attention taken from the road.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd like to be able to view the different displays on the speedo with a better selection button on the bars. They have changed this as said for the latest model.
If you have a look down the threads someone had a broken speedo display around your way (Canada) maybe you could get that one and take it to bits to have a look. It's only two press buttons on the side, it may be easier than you think.
The hardest bit would be where are you going to fit two extra buttons to the existing set up. :unsure:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to be able to view the different displays on the speedo with a better selection button on the bars. They have changed this as said for the latest model.
If you have a look down the threads someone had a broken speedo display around your way (Canada) maybe you could get that one and take it to bits to have a look. It's only two press buttons on the side, it may be easier than you think.
The hardest bit would be where are you going to fit two extra buttons to the existing set up. :unsure:
Will be talking to the service manager at the shop where I bought it this week I hope. Good idea to ask him if they have a gage from a wreck that I can get to play with. Winter is coming so will need some projects with which to fiddle.

·
Registered
'22
16 Posts
The switch on the '22 model even lets you reset certain values, by holding the switch in one direction* for two seconds. Works great!

*I don't remember if I had to hold it up or down... :unsure:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK ........... next step in the wacky remote function display toggle switches. Looks like to start I need to locate a crunched instrument off a wreck to take apart and see how it's wired and also how to pop open the probably delicate fastener clips that are not really meant to allow it to be easily taken apart or put back together. At least that would give me a guide for how to proceed. So any body out there have a smashed up instrument that you would be willing to part with?

George
Vancouver BC Canada

1 - 11 of 11 Posts