XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'22
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear wheel sprays a lot of water and dirt against the rear shock, linkage and engine. And as I found out yesterday, the little "spoiler" that's integrated in the chain guard doesn't do much in keeping the shock clean.😅

This is the result of a 90km autumn ride with a few slightly damp roads. I was kind of surprised by the amount of dirt on the shock after such a short ride.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Crankset

What are my options to prevent/minimize this? I was thinking of mounting some sort of rubber mudflap just behind the rear shock. Has anyone tried that?
Would love to hear your opinions and/or experience on this subject :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been riding for 51 years and watched mudguards and weather protection get physically smaller with each passing year on new bikes. I lived in So California for 22 years and didn't care about tiny 'guards, now I'm back in a wet climate in a rural farming area, it's annoying.

You need a hugger. I always look for the biggest one I can find and I have a Powerbronze unit on my Yam and a RedFox on my SV. They do help but they're not perfect. Incidentally the PB hugger won't fit if you have Lusk lowering kit installed.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Next gripe: fender extenders - I need the option of a bigger one, better still I want the manufacturer to offer the option of much bigger mudguards.

Much to the amusement of the SV forum, I have added the World's Biggest Mudflap™ to my SV.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive parking light

Still, at 34k miles, 6 winters and still showing a polished header, it works. The mudflap is fastened to a fender extender.

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Ermax hugger....mine was colour matched to my Forest Green XSR. Not cheap but did the job far better than the pitiful OEM chainguard/hugger.
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didn't want to spend the coin for a hugger, so went with a less expensive option, a rear fender extender. This is after 1.5 hours of moderate to heavy rain and about 160 km of wet roads during a 500km day ride. I'm pleased with how well it cuts down on spray overall and that it keeps the shock much cleaner. Cost was ~$20 USD. AliExpress from China, took a few weeks. I bonded it to the OEM fender with black RTV silcone sealant and used some plastic rivets as well.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior

·
Registered
420 Posts
What are my options to prevent/minimize this? I was thinking of mounting some sort of rubber mudflap just behind the rear shock. Has anyone tried that?
Would love to hear your opinions and/or experience on this subject :)
Since I ride a lot on dirt roads I thought that trying to keep the shock's shaft clean might save me from a blown seal for longer.
So I have installed a simple flap made of thin rubber, that covers the gap and overlaps the area, still alowing flex as the swingarm travels up/down.
Unfortunately no pix at hand but it's not rocket science: a flap attached to the beginning of the mudguard, secured by small rivets, that extends low enough to cover the gap :)

·
Registered
'22
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the ideas guys!! Glad to see some likeminded riders, who also care about the practical side of things. (y)

I was initially leaning towards a solution like @gnarlydog has, maybe I'll even combine it with @EricV 's fender extender for ultimate protection :cool:

Besides the fact that I hate cleaning difficult to reach parts on a bike, I also just bought a fancy rear shock, so that's the reason I'm extra keen to keep the shock area clean.

@Tigerjohn I like the color matched hugger on a green bike. 👌 Having a white bike myself I'd probably get the unpainted version. A white hugger would draw too much attention to the wrong place.
Looking at the pictures and comparing the hugger to the "fender extender", I feel like the extender on the OEM hugger adds enough length to give a similar amount of protection against the spray from the rear wheel. That'd save me about 100 euros 😇

@Entropy Thanks for pointing me in the Powerbronze direction! I found out they have a fender extender for the front that appears to be even longer than the other ones I found online (Puig, AliE).

Your SV looks amazing with all the polished parts. I totally understand you'd want to protect that header with the worlds biggest mudflap 😄 Function over form right!💪

·
Registered
771 Posts
Since I ride a lot on dirt roads I thought that trying to keep the shock's shaft clean might save me from a blown seal for longer.
So I have installed a simple flap made of thin rubber, that covers the gap and overlaps the area, still alowing flex as the swingarm travels up/down.
Unfortunately no pix at hand but it's not rocket science: a flap attached to the beginning of the mudguard, secured by small rivets, that extends low enough to cover the gap :)
That is pretty much what all the off roaders used to have. My Bultaco trials bike had a rubber flap attached to the bottom of the rear fender at the swing arm pivot area. I think my old TM 125 had the same. Not too sure of the KLX250, I'd have to look.

But a simple flap cut from an old inner tube or maybe some kind of mat would do the job attached to the inside bodywork just above the shock, extending down in front of the front tire. Plastic rivets would be an ideal way to attach it. They can be had on ebay, Amazon, or at a decent hardware store.

I'm on board with the better fender/mud guard set up in spite of aesthetics. I'm likely going to get a Fenda Extenda from Pyramid sometime here.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Probably going to be what I do on the front, unless I can fit a longer fender if I find one. I've never liked the trend with shorter and shorter front fenders, if they made a good hugger fender it wouldn't stand out too bad. The rear fenders have become extinct on anything but a retro bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts