XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New to Yamaha here. Well, new to the XSR, not to mention geared motorbikes in general.

I'm an Englishman living in Sydney who has been riding his XSR7 for two days now.

Day 1 was **** scary. At times she's a bucking bronco, and it didn't help that I lost my bearings and ended up on the motorway! Day 2, commuting to work was a cruise by comparison. Better figured out the temperament of the clutch, so had some mental capacity to take in the beautiful Sydney sunshine.

I think I'm in love...

My question to you guys and girls is, what would be the first few things you'd do with a new stock XSR? It could be a big change like a new exhaust, or it could be something small like update the ECU.

Also, what's the vibe of this forum? Are there many egos around? What are the unwritten rules?

Looking forward to hearing from some fellow XSR riders and potentially meeting up with people in Sydney!

mjlazer

·
Registered
3 Posts
The throttle plate and akrapovic pipe, personally I dont think the ECU is worth it. If you reprogram the stock one, yamaha will reset it at your first service, plus in all honesty you dont need to. The forum is pretty quiet generally, had my xsr for 12mths now and love it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, I also felt the throttle was a bit snatchy at first. The fact that I came from a gearless (a Piaggio MP3 500, no motorcycle licence needed) and from a driving school carburated bike surely has something to do with it. But one gets used to it. You just have to twist in the initial dead zone of the throttle before opening it up. It becomes second nature overtime.

Luis

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome MJ...I'm from Sydney also mate, but living down Wollongong now. I'll be looking to try organize a ride day for XSR riders later on come summer time. So stay tuned.

Getting to your question though, honestly for you I'd be leaving the bike completely standard until you get your head around the whole riding a bike with gears. ;-) Then definitely the throttle plate and maybe the throttle tube. Believe me it changes the bike and for under $100 you'll be thinking where was all that 'extra power' hiding.

Feel free to check out my build and pics, I've done a whole heap so far and still have a box full of parts in the garage to go on yet!

Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
The clutch is a bit abrupt until the first service, then it is massively improved when the running-in oil is changed for the proper stuff. Fuelling (I'm in UK) is pretty good, certainly compared to my old Triumph Tiger.
Yamaha spend millions on the ECU development and it is a compromise for all sorts of reasons, but it is a brave person who thinks they can improve it without spending a lot of cash and risk, in my view.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Also, what's the vibe of this forum? Are there many egos around? What are the unwritten rules?
Welcome to another Aussie...there are quite a few of you here now! As to vibe....have a read of some of the posts and see what you think! We're a friendly bunch and comments need to stay polite and show mutual respect, even if opinions differ. We don't do big egos and we don't go in for the sort of mud-slinging that certain trans Atlantic bike forums seem to engage in. That's about it for 'rules'!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome to our company!
I changed the suspension with the Ohlins set. We are talking about a whole new motorcycle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Then definitely the throttle plate and maybe the throttle tube. Believe me it changes the bike and for under $100 you'll be thinking where was all that 'extra power' hiding.
Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by throttle plate and tube? What do you change on the bike?

And welcome mjlazer!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by throttle plate and tube? What do you change on the bike?

And welcome mjlazer!
In Australia our bikes come with a throttle position restrictor, it's designed to meet power outputs for learner riders and only allows around 60% throttle I've been led to believe. You can buy a replacement throttle plate from ebay (link below) which then allows 100% throttle to be achieved.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/De-restrictor-plate-for-Yamaha-MT-07-XSR700-FZ-07-2013-17-15-16-Stainless-Steel/272638343171?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In regards to the throttle tube, if you search this forum for the R6 throttle fix you will find the answers to your question. Basically it changes the throttle response, you need less twist of the wrist to gain WOT :wink2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
In Australia our bikes come with a throttle position restrictor, it's designed to meet power outputs for learner riders and only allows around 60% throttle I've been led to believe. You can buy a replacement throttle plate from ebay (link below) which then allows 100% throttle to be achieved.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/De-restrictor-plate-for-Yamaha-MT-07-XSR700-FZ-07-2013-17-15-16-Stainless-Steel/272638343171?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In regards to the throttle tube, if you search this forum for the R6 throttle fix you will find the answers to your question. Basically it changes the throttle response, you need less twist of the wrist to gain WOT :wink2:
Oh ok cool, so likely for me in the UK this won't be an issue, or is the restrictor fitted from the Yama factory globally?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh ok cool, so likely for me in the UK this won't be an issue, or is the restrictor fitted from the Yama factory globally?
You can buy an A2 compliant bike in the UK and then have a Akrapovic exhaust fitted. I don't know how to tell the difference, probably the VIN would.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Not an issue in the UK/EU - it's to do with licensing regs in Australia.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pretty sure it's only for the Australian market mate. You should be all good.:grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the replies, guys and girls.

I've taken notes of all your tips, they were really useful.

Looking forward to getting to you know guys and, of course, my bike.

Safe riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts