XSR 700 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Of course it depends on what your needs are. For me the XSR700 is more exclusive, the price makes justice to the product (the Ducati feels like more plastic and is more expensive!?), and all the points that have been stated above as easier to modify, dealers almost everywhere, etc.

Ducati feels like the poser´s bike. Yamaha is the rider´s bike... here you can check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2HxhM3iXQ

By the way, pictures doen´t make justice to the XSR. I recomend you to go anc check it out yourself so you will find out how cool is this bike live.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was thinking about buying the Ducati but thankfully changed my mind and bought the XSR.
Reasons why:

1. Ducati are very prone to malfunctions. All of my friends who ride them are frequently facing problems.
2. It is air cooled, in Greece if you ride an air cooled bike during summer and in traffic, it is guaranteed to have roasted balls.
3. Price
4. Engine, the two cylinder crossplane along with the three cylinder of the 900 are the best motors running right now.
5. Engine, the Ducati runs the old 895 monster engine...
6. Japanese bikes, and especially the Yamaha ones are the toughest bikes, as long as you change the oil frequently, they keep running.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I took a look at a ducati scrambler forum and there are so many threads in the problem section. Unless someone is willing to deal with a huge list of issues, the xsr700 is just a better choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was looking at the XSR700, the Ducati and the Triump Street Scrambler (I'd say I looked at every Youtube review, 1st ride and comparison videos out there - went into analysis paralysis). I finally narrowed it down to the Triump Street Scrambler and the XSR700.

In the end the reasons for going with the XSR700 -
1) Best value for money for the bike, in terms of the engine that you get (looked at lots of reviews and there are compromises on different aspects but Yamaha seem to have a good balance and have not compromised on engine performance while maintaining a good price point from what I read)

2) Found it hard to justify the additional cost of the Triump - (XSR700 €9400 and Triump €12500).

3) Yamaha were better to deal with in the pre-sale phase (I was on a learner license and Triump guys were not going to be able to let me out on the road for a proper test drive). Of course that's not going to be concern for most.

4) Looks - well on this one I still really like the Triump Street Scrambler but I am happy with my XSR.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only bike I considered before buying the XSR700 was the BMW scrambler, but the cost was far away from my wallet, and I don´t like the boxer engine either. But the look is awesome.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One thing I've found over the years of bike ownership is that a lot of your exotic brands have a tendency to make their tanks out of plastic. My last 2 bikes had this (Aprilia and KTM) and combined with the increase in ethanol in petrol in the UK, the tanks warped and expanded over time. This totally swayed my decision on the Yam as it's cheap enough, customisable, metal tank and has a good dealer network for issues and parts. There's a bike out there for everybody, it's personal preference and I'd recommend a test ride to fully understand if a bike is suitable for you or not!
Happy hunting!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a scrambler urban enduro before a car pulled out from a side road and crushed my front forks amongst other things. The bikes are very similar and only look really set them apart (the 800 versions).

My mv Augusta brutale dragster 800 rr, whilst in the same cc bracket is something else 🙂

My xsr700 is my commuter .

21 - 29 of 29 Posts