XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this installed at present, have tried PUIG "Vision and Universal both nice but the Marlin is quality and has a very secure fixing. Puig fixing can allow movement and they tend to vibrate at various road speeds.
The Marlin and Puig Universal give a similar amount of wind protection to the chest are but leave your head in fresh air so no buffeting caused by the screen.
Puig vision on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this installed at present, have tried PUIG "Vision and Universal both nice but the Marlin is quality and has a very secure fixing. Puig fixing can allow movement and they tend to vibrate at various road speeds.
The Marlin and Puig Universal give a similar amount of wind protection to the chest are but leave your head in fresh air so no buffeting caused by the screen.
Puig vision on the right.
Sounds about right for a bit of protection without being too big, the Puig screens look good but I can't help but like the Marlin better and the simple lines are well in keeping with the bike. Cheers for feedback on that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Puig RetroVision on my XSR, I do like the look of it but I am not super enthused about the mounting.

As NeilJ mentioned, their single mount point allows for some movement, and I'm looking to solve that now with some rubber washers or something. If I can't get it figured out I may look at another screen, like the Dart.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Puig RetroVision on my XSR, I do like the look of it but I am not super enthused about the mounting.

As NeilJ mentioned, their single mount point allows for some movement, and I'm looking to solve that now with some rubber washers or something. If I can't get it figured out I may look at another screen, like the Dart.
The Dart looks like it has a quality bracket and solid at that; I like the curve of the screen and looks good on an XSR. One of my other bikes is a BMW K75 RT and that keeps almost all weather off and I use that for winter and camping, but would like to do some camping with the XSR so need to make some minor changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a dart screenfitted to mine, quality seems as good as a genuine yamaha screen if not better, combined with the slightly lower xsr900 bars it means you can use all the performance of the bike without it tearing your head off..

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
I like the look of the Dart Marlin and the fact that it has a two point fixing. Single point fixing screens are best avoided - they are prone to movement at higher speeds. I tried an MRA 'universal' screen on a previous bike - never again! It folded towards me if I went over 75mph. I can feel a hole burning in my pocket!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a dart screenfitted to mine, quality seems as good as a genuine yamaha screen if not better, combined with the slightly lower xsr900 bars it means you can use all the performance of the bike without it tearing your head off..
Presume with standard bars you get a bit of body cover but still in the wind stream for helmet?

Also, I've moved my speedo forward and it fits nicely behind the short Yamaha screen, do you think there is still likely to be room with Dart screen?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the look of the Dart Marlin and the fact that it has a two point fixing. Single point fixing screens are best avoided - they are prone to movement at higher speeds. I tried an MRA 'universal' screen on a previous bike - never again! It folded towards me if I went over 75mph. I can feel a hole burning in my pocket!
Yep, I'm heading that way!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dart Marlin is fine. Aesthetically impeccable; although this is a matter of personal taste, I found its simple lines perfect on my bike. Wind protection (top of chest slightly uncovered) and manufacturing quality, are exactly as described in Dart's website by users and the company itself. Very easy to mount, using the original screws. I love it.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Muppetman.....is that the light tint or the dark tint you've got there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dart Marlin is fine. Aesthetically impeccable; although this is a matter of personal taste, I found its simple lines perfect on my bike. Wind protection (top of chest slightly uncovered) and manufacturing quality, are exactly as described in Dart's website by users and the company itself. Very easy to mount, using the original screws. I love it.
Excellent George, looks like I'm heading for one!!

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Very easy to mount, using the original screws.
Just fitted mine - quality seems good and it certainly looks the part on the XSR. Very quick delivery. BUT.....I found the 16mm OEM headlamp bracket bolts a touch too short when the screen brackets were fixed. They had some 'purchase' on their nuts but not enough to inspire confidence. I changed them for M6 x 20mm socket bolts which provided a more secure fit. IMHO these should have been provided with the screen - it wasn't cheap at £100GBP - so mildly irritating to have to go to Screwfix for 6 replacement bolts (especially as they're only sold in packs of 50, so I've 44 spare if anyone needs them!). I notice on Dart's website that others have encountered the same issue.
Very pleased with the screen's performance - totally stable (as the fixing bracket uses all 6 headlamp bracket fixing points and the screen itself is fixed to its brackets with with 4 bolts). It does reduce wind blast to the torso. It's big enough to make a difference (unlike Yamaha's offering) but not too big to overwhelm the bike's looks. I'd certainly recommend it, but do consider some longer bolts!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found the 16mm OEM headlamp bracket bolts a touch too short when the screen brackets were fixed. They had some 'purchase' on their nuts but not enough to inspire confidence.
Tigerjohn, I am surprised you had to go into this trouble! I remember just one out of six bolts had a slight difficulty finding its nut (one of the two front ones); the nut appeared a bit loose inside the headlight, but since the other one fitted perfectly, I sort of joggled a bit with the nut and it worked fine. I thought my small inconvenience was insignificant, all the more since I did not notice anyone else mentioning that on Dart website when I bought the screen six months ago! It makes me wonder if my OEM bolts are slightly longer than yours, but it seems far fetched. I am glad you are happy in the end, and by the way your bike looks great overall! I love the fork gaiters.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts