XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
this weekend, I did a big cleaning of my xsr.
On the other hand, I damaged the 2 plastic covers (see photo). I had to use a slightly aggressive product and it turned white.
Is there a product to restore the black color?
What product do you use to clean the plastics of your xsr.
Thank you in advance for your answers.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
707 Posts
I spray Hondabrite on them and wipe it off with a soft microfiber towel. Before that I used Lemon Pledge spray furniture wax when we were cleaning bikes at the dealership where I worked. If you want shiny, use Armor All, but I'd just juse Hondabrite or Lemon Pledge. Usually I don't bother washing them off either. I seldom wash my bike, spray hitting at the right angle at a seal can blow water inside a bearing, definitely can blow water past the O-rings of a chain. Spray and wipe.

Don't get nuts with cleaners. Dish soap works great on everything, Dawn is used to clean the oil off animals that get oiled down in oil spills, if it can work for them it can work for you. If you need to spend a lot of money on your motorcycle cleaning, go get some S100, it does the job too. With the dish soap you could put some in a spray bottle maybe 50/50 water/soap to make a more concentrated mix to spray on wheels and such.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I mostly just clean with a soft rag and water. Sometimes car wash soap. Magic Erasers, (melamine foam), work really, really well to clean bugs off plastic w/o scratching anything too. Get them wet, squeeze out most of the water and scrub, dried bugs come right off! I use these on windscreens, headlights and covers, fork legs and anywhere with a leading edge that collects bugs.

Since you are concerned about the whitening of the plastic after cleaning, try to avoid harsh cleaners. A cloth wet with hot water and placed over the area will soften dirt, bugs and other things and make it easier to clean. Hondabrite is a spray on cleaner/polish. Plexus is a similar product. Most bike shops will sell something similar for cleaning windscreens and helmet visors. It works well on bike plastic too.

Now with the damage, which really doesn't show up well in the pics, you can use a product like plastic trim restorer, "Back to Black" is one product name, but most auto parts stores will have something similar for restoring sun faded or damaged black auto plastic. Test a spot in an area not obvious first before doing the main panels.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you.
I saw this on YouTube.
(sorry in french).
I have seen several videos where several people use the heat gun to renovate bleached plastics.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thank you for your answer.
I used this (Lingettes nettoyantes Super Clean Dafy Moto moto : www.dafy-moto.com, Entretien Moto de moto) and I think that's what caused the whitening.
can you use a plastic renovator(https://m.auto-doc.fr/meguiars/1523...2qI_YVwZzEppjDmlJqTNySrHwIhRbrVBoCprMQAvD_BwE) and then put some Lemon Pledge.
I can't find Hondabrite in France
Meguiar's may work fine. It is made for the job, but I don't know that for sure. Once you have the situation dealt with avoid strong cleaners. Get the Lemon Pledge and use light sprays of it. Too much makes it streak, not hurting the finish, but difficult to wipe off completely. We used the aerosol cans, not the pump spritzers. There may be other spray on cleaner/polishers.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My apologies, I finally went and looked at a can of the Honda product, it was simply Honda cleaner/polish, don't really remember how I got the Hondabrite name... we'll call it "old age" delusion... :sleep: See if you can get the Honda Pro Cleaner and Polish.

Honda polish worked a lot like Lemon Pledge but a bit better and easier to wipe away completely. We used both products on pretty much everything that would normally be cleaned, ie frame tubes, side covers, engine covers, chrome, etc. Obviously we didn't use it on the chain and brake surfaces, but we would wipe the brake calipers with the damp rag after doing other parts of the bike, to clean them up. The Pledge works nicely. Quick and easy. But the Honda product was better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ici en France nous n'avons pas de promesse de citron.
nous avons ceci
Pliz Fée du Logis Aérosol Nettoyant Multi-Surfaces Original 300 ml : Amazon.fr: Epicerie 213883680394051hvptwo&hvp =&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=

https://www.amazon.fr/PLIZ-Aérosol-...eur/dp/B07FVV7H5T/ref=asc_df_B07FVV7H5T/?tag= googshopfr-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw =g&hvrand=2138836849505103043&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9055200&hvtargid=pla-1013682502453&psc=1
they are furniture cleaner, cleans, shines, and waterproof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts