XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keen to get the forums thoughts on their cash spent on styling and performance customisation e.g. exhausts, styling, performance mods, suspension etc.

Is it worth it and your thoughts on the resale value? Alt have you kept the bike mostly stock and you're reasons for that?

At this point I'm a few grand in on top of the stock bike. I've not seen any customised XSR's for sale on usual sites and debating if worth more cash for mods i want but probably shouldn't get. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I guess I've spent around 1200 - 1500 EUR on a new exhaust, radiator guard and the black radiator covers. Other than that I plan on keeping the bike as stock as possible. I like the way it looks stock, and if I were in the market of getting a bike I would rather get a stock bike than a modded one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've tricked up loads of bikes over the years and my XSR seems to be going that way as well. I simply keep all the stock items and when I come to sell it or trade it in I put it back to stock.
When I traded in my MT09 the bike shop said they would give me the same value with all the trick bits on it as they would standard but they would prefer it in standard trim.
I removed all the after market parts and got about a grand for them which helped funding the next project.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers daps

·
Registered
185 Posts
Totally agree with dapsxsr700. Any value added to your moto won't be paid by a future buyer. Especially if it is for aesthetic reasons, and not something like suspension or any other feature that improves the motorcycle performance wise. The fact is that most of the buyers, of used motos, ask you for the price "without the extras".

·
Registered
91 Posts
Like Dapsxsr700 I have kept all the stock parts I have taken off and when I come to sell it will put them all back on and sell the after market stuff privately.

·
Super Moderator
744 Posts
I agree......you'll never recoup the cost of extras if you try to sell the bike with them. Much better to restore the bike to stock, then advertise the extras to the good people on this forum! A few bits (eg top box, screen or pannier rack) might make it easier to sell the bike but won't add to its value. More exotic stuff like exhaust systems are best sold separately.

Reactions: bbninja

·
Registered
400 Posts
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that you have to just take your losses with things like this, bikes to me are just depreciating things that are fun to rip around in, nothing more. Only way I can see parts holding value is with short-term ownership, i'm a long-term guy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've always seen people sell their bikes reverted back to stock and they'll sell the aftermarket bits and pieces separately. I rarely see people sell their bikes with modifications already on it and get compensated for them lol.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting thoughts, keep them coming. Seems the consensus is to revert to stock and sell the bits.

Definitely not an investment but a labour of love :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys, having my XSR for 1 more than one year now and never really thought about the money from accessories I could get back or not when selling it. I agree with @YamahaFan, it's just money burned for pleasure, the one you never see 1 penny/cents back, exactly like when partying
The good thing from this thread so far is that nobody really think to sell his XSR, and there are not so much on the used market right now, specially when they got prepared to the taste of their owner ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi guys, having my XSR for 1 more than one year now and never really thought about the money from accessories I could get back or not when selling it. I agree with @YamahaFan, it's just money burned for pleasure, the one you never see 1 penny/cents back, exactly like when partying
The good thing from this thread so far is that nobody really think to sell his XSR, and there are not so much on the used market right now, specially when they got prepared to the taste of their owner ?
I agree that! I don`t think getting my money back when I am travelling abroad or buying PC`s, phones or eating good(= sometimes more expensive) food! This all is part of every day life and enjoyment!

Uti

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think as a whole the hobby of owning a motorbike and the fun it gives you far outweighs the cost involved in depreciation and buying of extra parts.

I much prefer to ride my bike than take the car and my car cost a lot more than my bike and will still lose money.

I visited a friend the other day who has got a few quid and he spent £8 grand on a 4 day shooting trip and he fired his gun twice! He has nothing to show for his money and had a **** time doing his hobby
I thought to myself I have spent about £8 grand on my bike and I get to do it whenever I want and love it every time and it never disapoints me. I also get to sell it if I want and get a few quid back.
I left his house thinking he was a mug and that I have much the better hobby and passion..

So my point I guess is..that it isnt really an expensive thing to own a motorbike as good as ours and just go enjoy it and who cares if it loses money!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts