XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
If anyone has had to change an air filter or otherwise move the tank around you will have noticed that it consists of 2 aluminum panels, a plastic panel, and a steel tank, along with a bunch of empty space and padding. I can't help but think I could get a whole lot more fuel capacity in the same space as well as weight reduction by replacing the whole thing with a single-piece aluminum tank. My long-term goal would be to make my XSR into a adventure scrambler and the range could be a lot better. I actually really love how the tank looks, I just wish the visual tank was the actual tank. Anyone have any idea how to re-create the tank out of solid aluminum?

·
Registered
222 Posts
...now we are three...

I was thinking about some more liters during last holidays. Initial was the small steel canister and the quiet voluminous outer panels. There is no really need to change something. When my wife (MT-09) and me are day tripping, we have a comparable mileage about 250 km+ With the Europa spread of filling stations, there is no pain to get refueled.

But I have seen some very nice SR500 built ups with aluminium tanks. So I started searching. There are a lot of companies, which have tanks designed and on stock, for some popular models. And there are companies as well, which will help you, to build your aluminium tank. But the money to spend, this will hurt. I stopped searching, because most standard Alu tanks are not designed for the fuel pump, that we need for the injection system.
Then we have the not so good design of the frame, which is high up and any tank has to be placed on top. Don't know a design which makes the tank more integrated in the whole bike design line...

Other possibility would be to change or reeled the steel canister for some additional liters?

·
Registered
145 Posts
An easy way to get another 4 litres, and probably the cheapest, is to get the Tracer 700. Doesn't have quite the style of the XSR though!

·
Registered
50 Posts
An easy way to get another 4 litres, and probably the cheapest, is to get the Tracer 700. Doesn't have quite the style of the XSR though!
In the same line of thinking; you could also order a stock tank for said Tracer and fit it to your XSR. I can't imagine there will be alot of difference in fittings and pump positions. I could check my Haynes manual for tank removal, they cover the MT, the XSR and the Tracer aswell.

[edit]
Looking at the parts list, I can tell they use EXACTLY the same fittings, brackets, screws and everything so fitting it onto your bike shouldn't be a problem. Where they DO differ is in the Fuel Pump Comp, and I dont know if it is just another type of pump or whether they are interchangable or not. They really look the same on the exploded view so you might be lucky.

A stock tank will set you back €312,-

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2017-tracer-700-motorcycles/fuel-tank

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the same line of thinking; you could also order a stock tank for said Tracer and fit it to your XSR. I can't imagine there will be alot of difference in fittings and pump positions. I could check my Haynes manual for tank removal, they cover the MT, the XSR and the Tracer aswell.

[edit]
Looking at the parts list, I can tell they use EXACTLY the same fittings, brackets, screws and everything so fitting it onto your bike shouldn't be a problem. Where they DO differ is in the Fuel Pump Comp, and I dont know if it is just another type of pump or whether they are interchangable or not. They really look the same on the exploded view so you might be lucky.

A stock tank will set you back €312,-

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2017-tracer-700-motorcycles/fuel-tank
but as a question of style will the XSR panels fit over the tracer tank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts