XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having dropped my last bike (Versys 650) in a car park (forgot disc lock) and being saved by my crash bars can anybody recommend the best protection for the XSR700 ? I quite fancy the RD Moto bars rather than just the crash bungs from other makers but has anybody had an accident and put any of the protection to the test ? The bungs look as though they might let the crankcase touch down first and the crankcase "covers" that are available just spoil the look of the engine. Any suggestions welcome. Cheers, Onslowe

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've got:
SW-Motech Engine Bars
Woodcraft Stator Cover (Powdercoated)
Woodcraft Water Pump cover (Powdercoated)
Woodcraft Front Axle
Woodcraft Rear Axle

Here you can see the engine covers powdercoated to match. Haven't got pics yet but the SW-Motech matches the frame out of the box.

Full disclosure, I dropped the bike three times on various terrain. First time was on gravel the second day, scratched the bar ends and the water pump. Second time, I had only installed axle covers; dented the stock exhaust and scratched the top of the headlight (it was rough terrain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). The last time was on gravel at higher speed, scratched bar ends and the woodcraft stator cover, tho my pannier did take a hit. All-in-all the only visible cosmetic damage after all this is the water pump, and that's now mostly covered by the woodcraft cover. End of the day it's a narrow bike with large handlebars, it's hard to mess it up. I'd venture to say you'd be okay without the crash bars and just getting the stator and water pump covers, and keep the stock bar ends, they can take a beating ;).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Major Tom. The crash protection you have fitted does look good but is at the very top end price wise, I guess you get what you pay for. As you were the only owner to respond I guess not many owners have dropped their XSR which is good news. I will keep looking for reviews and decide early in the New Year, the RD Moto crash "bars" are still my favourites due to price and the protection I "expect" them to offer. Cheers, Onslowe

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks Major Tom for the info. Surprised this doesn't seem like a common thing, but I'm in the market as well. I don't know if the crash bars would provide much protection since they are so high up. I am looking for crash bars to protect more the bottom end of the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a delay due the Christmas shut down my RD Moto crash bars arrived. They are well built and decent quality whilst not being bulky. The instructions are in Czech but its not hard to figure out. When doing the sidestand side make sure the bike is on a paddock stand as when you take 1 of the bolts out the stand moves and you could end up under the bike, a small aluminium spacer goes between the crash bar and the frame to prevent the upper mounting bolt bottoming out. The side stand mount bolt is reused. On the other side a replacement bolt is provided as the existing is not long enough, the replacement does not match the original style, but is longer, so I will replace it with a bolt that matches the others (50p from ebay). Also the lower mounting on this side could do with a spacer (only a washer is provided) between the crash bar and frame mounting near the brake lever, I have just packed it out with a few washers for now. When fitting is complete the bars look really sturdy and should protect the cases more than just crash bungs (I hope I never have to find out) and I recommend them, they cost me 133 euros (£120) delivered to UK and took 10days (they had to wait for a part and had just returned to work after Xmas so probably had a backlog of orders). Cheers, Onslowe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully this post will show some hastily taken photos of the RD Moto crash bars installed on my XSR. I think they are the best looking of the available bars and should be OK if it falls off the side stand, not sure if anything available will help in a full on crash but I have insurance if needed. The right hand side shows the Allen Head bolt they supplied as the existing is not long enough so I have ordered the required length bolt that will match the OEM bolts, also I had to pack the gap with washers on this side so will fit a spacer when I find one. Still very happy with the bars as they do not add much bulk and blend in OK in my opinion. Cheers, Onslowe

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. Some fresh news. I recommend polish company Azarel (www.azarel.pl). They made 2 types of crash pads - basic and pro. I order pro-series and I am very satisfied. Don’t know if they selling abroad but the owner is very helpful and open for any suggestions. On website there is no XSR700 listed but they do dedicated pads on order in short time. Additionally I painted pads on black - it look better in my opinion.
958A6820-4B22-4CD6-882F-83D1220B3459_1560062539489.jpg
Regards,
Darek.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great d73
I took a look at the website but even i couldn't find their email
Can you send me their email , i want to asked them if its possible to send it to australia

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is great d73
I took a look at the website but even i couldn't find their email
Can you send me their email , i want to asked them if its possible to send it to australia

Cheers
Sorry, it was for Reza.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sw-motech make nice ones to but a bit too expensive for me
Same problem here... I was wondering if, for instance, some of the crash bars available for the MT 07 and the Tracer 700 at a lower price would fit the XSR 700...

These ones for example:

Does anyone know this?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't know what it's like where you are but over here the Police can take action against what they think may cause injury to pedestrians (damaged car parts like wings, bullbars on 4x4s etc)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Shogun engine sliders, Shogun bar end sliders, TST Industries fork and rear axle sliders, TST case cover. That should do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with Evotech for all of mine.

Frame sliders, front & rear bobbins (rear ones great as it allows you to use a stand to do maintence) and a radiator guard from them.

Not sure about Engine protector yet if I really want one, sort of ruins the look but RDmoto has a rather sleek one. Hmm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts