XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need an advice, coolant level is low on my bike, but it's also 2.5 years I have it, so maybe it's time to flush the system and replace the coolant completely.

I'm finding really hard to buy yamalube, and also the user manual says this:

So, here's my questions:
1) Do you think I can use this: Motul Motocool Expert Ready Mixed Antifreeze -37°C 1L ??
2) Do I need to dilute it 1:1 with distilled water?
3) As per manual I want to flush the cooling system. Do I use water to do it? Distilled water or normal water?

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd use distilled water but your antifreeze is already mixed so when you put it in, just fill the bike's coolant system as it comes out of the bottle. The Motul should work fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
so instead I could buy a concentrated ethylene glycol antifreeze (not coolant) and mix it 1:1 with distilled water?
when you say you'd use distilled water, is that for the flush as well?

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you read the directions on the bottle, you'll know if it's a pre-mixed solution or if you need to dilute with water (preferably distilled). If you have a good water softener which basically removes the minerals from the water, that is basically the same as distilled water and I use it for my own cooling systems. In the end, you want to end up with a cooling system that is running without any minerals, but H2O and the antifreeze/coolant. The coolant issue is practically as bad as oil brand. You know how much you want to pay and just like the JASO or API labels, you are in compliance or you're not. Don't over think the issue, follow manufacturer recommendations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, one last question.
Although I'm close to the low line in the cooler tank (still slightly above) I had this I'm about to explain for a long time and it bothers me.
I asked around, but no one I know has a yamaha. So..

My normal running temperature, when I can keep the speed up, is 80°C / 176°F.
As soon as I roll to a stop, or there's a bit of traffic, it goes up around 95°C / 203°F.
Last year I got a scare when I was stuck in traffic and it reached 106°C / 222.8°F

When I raised this with the dealer he checked the bike and said it's normal, this is a high temperature bike.
Is this true? Can I trust this dealer or should I bring it somewhere else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention I live in Ireland, temperatures are never more than 25°C / 77°F

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
The temperatures you mention are normal - the cooling fan should kick in at about 106degC, which would be a typical temp in traffic delays.
Probably worth keeping an eye on your coolant level - mine drops sometimes (without explanation!), so I top it up a bit occasionally. You won't need protection down to -37C in Ireland, so you can probably dilute your coolant with distilled water - see what it says on the bottle.

Reactions: Wulf
1 - 7 of 7 Posts