XSR 700 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone. I haven’t post you guys updated about my headlight unfortunately. I couldn’t find none that I like so I decided to build it myself.
You've hit the mark on this one, looks brilliant mate. Best looking contemporary set up I've seen. Where did you get the headlight casing from?? Or was this built yourself also?

Nice work!

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I went to install the Purpose Built headlight I discovered that the bolts on the side of the Purpose Built headlight were larger in diameter than stock. Rather than drill the mounting holes larger in the stock brackets I ordered headlight brackets from Brogue Motorcycles and modified those. I also installed "pindicators" from Morimoto.

The pindicators are similar to the Motogadget m-Blaze pins but cost $35 a pair rather than $90. They also have a running light option, where I believe the m-Blaze pins do not. And you have an option of white or yellow for the running lights. The downside is that they have very long wires. Given that the Purpose Built headlight doesn't have a can I have some wire management to do to tame the mess.

I don't have the halo light hooked up yet. It requires tapping into the low beam wire and I didn't want to cut the wire harness that came with the bike. When I pulled the stock headlight off I discovered that the headlight has a "mini" harness that plugs into the bikes wiring harness for just the headlight and indicators. Rather than cobble a harness together from aftermarket parts for the halo light I ordered the OEM "mini" harness and will be soldering Y into the low beam in order to power the halo. Oddly enough, the EOM "mini" harness was reasonably priced. Go figure. It should show up this week.

This headlight and speedo combo look pretty exposed. I think the setup would benefit from either a Dart Piranha windscreen or the Motodemic gauge cover (hopefully it's released soon!)
Funny- I ordered the same headlight and Brogue mounts over the weekend.

Question- could you not strip the single halo wire on the headlight, and push it into the H4 connector on the mini-harness? That's what I' planning on doing.

Also for the brogue mount, did you just have to enlarge that front bolt hole? Does the stock bottom headlight mount get removed and tossed out for new headlight?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Also for the brogue mount, did you just have to enlarge that front bolt hole? Does the stock bottom headlight mount get removed and tossed out for new headlight?

The stock headlight 'bottom mount' (the bracket under the headlight with a rounded pin on it, that fits into the small hole at the bottom of the stock headlight bucket) needs to be moved or removed to allow you to fit the Purpose Built unit.

What I did with mine was carefully bend the bracket up and out of the way (use pliers/mole grips with some rubber hose/electrical tape over the teeth to prevent marring the paint finish), then, once you've got the light adjusted to the correct position (assuming you're following national guidelines for beam height/position etc.) you can move the bracket a little more so that the Headlight sits right against it, further preventing it from moving out of its adjusted position.

A convenient solution for the Halo light wire is just to use a simple Posi-tap connector.
This is very secure (it's one of the few of these kinds of solutions that is recommended for automotive/marine use) and leaves only minimal trace on the tapped-in wire if removed (just a tiny pin hole through the wire's insulation)
You can also crimp a simple female 3.9mm bullet connector to a very short length of spare wire you may have which can then plug into the Headlight's separate Halo plug (male 3.9mm bullet connector).
Use this piece of Wire as the one that connects to the 'bottom' of the Posi-Tap (the right hand side of the attached image).
This will prevent you from having to make any modifications to the Headlight wiring whatsoever.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
The stock headlight 'bottom mount' (the bracket under the headlight with a rounded pin on it, that fits into the small hole at the bottom of the stock headlight bucket) needs to be moved or removed to allow you to fit the Purpose Built unit.

What I did with mine was carefully bend the bracket up and out of the way (use pliers/mole grips with some rubber hose/electrical tape over the teeth to prevent marring the paint finish), then, once you've got the light adjusted to the correct position (assuming you're following national guidelines for beam height/position etc.) you can move the bracket a little more so that the Headlight sits right against it, further preventing it from moving out of its adjusted position.

A convenient solution for the Halo light wire is just to use a simple Posi-tap connector.
This is very secure (it's one of the few of these kinds of solutions that is recommended for automotive/marine use) and leaves only minimal trace on the tapped-in wire if removed (just a tiny pin hole through the wire's insulation)
You can also crimp a simple female 3.9mm bullet connector to a very short length of spare wire you may have which can then plug into the Headlight's separate Halo plug (male 3.9mm bullet connector).
Use this piece of Wire as the one that connects to the 'bottom' of the Posi-Tap (the right hand side of the attached image).
This will prevent you from having to make any modifications to the Headlight wiring whatsoever.

The posi-tap was another route I was planning on...anyone know what gauge wire the halo wire is on the unit? Only ones I have on hand are way too big.

ETA: looks like its 18

·
Registered
294 Posts
The posi-tap was another route I was planning on...anyone know what gauge wire the halo wire is on the unit? Only ones I have on hand are way too big.
I use the Blue Posi-tap (14-16 gauge) for the XSR700's wiring and it's a good but slightly tight fit - one size up from the Blue type (Yellow - 10-12 gauge) should also work.
IIRC, the Halo wire is of a similar gauge to the XSR's lighting harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I'm running my XSR 700 for more than 3 years, but now i'm definitely decided to upgrade my stock headlight "front canon" to a 7" new headlight and housing

I was planing to join these parts in attach, but before buy them, i would like to hear some opinions from you guys.

1) Brogue brackets - 90usd
2) headlight housing - 30usd
3) led headlight - 40usd

Do you think they match?

You're advice and Help are welcome! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
jvb headlight is a tight for fitting all the existing wiring, a bit of rerouting required!
Jvb headlight it's definitely my favorite, however, it's quite expensive and there's a lot of people using it.

This solution has been much more affordable, but it required a lot of patience and time...as I didn't want to drill or cut any stock hardware (just in case I want to revert it).

Harness are almost all inside headlight bucket.

I'll take new pics when I apply next mods

·
Registered
47 Posts
Purpose Built Moto here. Except for having to cut the bottom tang off of the stock mounting bracket and slightly reaming out the holes in the brackets, it was an easy swap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wanted wanted to link the discussion we have in a different thread:

The LED Perf seems more and more like a good idea to me.
Only thing I am contemplating is the mounting bracket and the positioning/constraint of the one connector you can see in the video when assembled.

Happy to get some input/ feedback from you guys!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts