XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just joined. My name is Tom, I'm 26, living in New Jersey (working in NYC) and I've owned a Ninja 300 since 2014. I've been uncomfortable with how slow this thing is for the past couple years and I finally have enough $$$ to upgrade. I'm strongly considering the XSR700, possibly the XSR900 (similar price, and I don't want to have to upgrade again).

Anyway, I'm glad to be here - I'll be lurking the forums and trying gather as much info as possible before April, which is when I plan to make a bike purchase. I'm excited to get to communicate with other XSR700 riders!

- Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went from an 1982 Yamaha 650 4cyl standard style bike to the XSR700. I was considering the XSR900 as well, as they were only a few hundred dollars difference at the time I was looking. I test rode the XSR700 and that was enough for me. It's got plenty of torque over a very wide powerband. Unless you are tracking it or have areas where you can safely go over 100 MPH, I'd say the extra power is kind of a waste. The 700 will be more nimble, easier to handle, has better fuel economy...

Having said that, I didn't ride the 900, so my decision was not based on a direct comparison, but after 4+ months of riding (over 2000 miles so far, no commuting, just evening and weekend fun trips) I am totally happy with the choice I made and the only time I've ever wanted more power is on rural highways in the middle of nowhere in 5th or 6th gear. But I don't really NEED to go any faster!

So, if you plan on mostly riding highway trips outside the city, I'd consider the 900, but if you're riding primarily in the city, I'd say just stick to the 700, it'll be easier and more fun to ride.

Also I love the sound of Yamaha's parallel twin, even with the factory exhaust.

Good luck and let us know what you end up on!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Tom and welcome to this forum, I would never suggest what bike some one should buy the world is full of some great machines sv650 Suzuki must be everyone's fave, Kawasaki 650 range brilliant bikes.
I find it odd that you and I could have a xsr900 for xsr700 money but i had the same offer, but will say I put 4000 miles on a 2017 MT 09tracer and never gelled with it. I wanted to. I think triples are the best compromise for a bike engine but we never got on and I changed to xsr700.
I don't think think the 700 was available in the U.S. until recently and cycle world? did a road test on the xsr900 called great bike but it's not the bike you want.
They went on to say why the 700 twin is simply better for this type of bike She if you can find it fort nine also suggest it is a bike with a bit of a identity crisis.
And I think they were right putting a jet engine on a lawn mower does not make it better!
Just Google
Cycle world xsr900 not the bike you want

·
Super Moderator
620 Posts
Welcome to our pages, blitzco. I don't think you should see the 900 as a potential 'upgrade'. The 700 and 900 are very different bikes, each with their own attributes. For me, a twin is a more characterful engine.....but if you want acceleration and outright power, then the 900 wins. For mixed riding with a fair bit of quiet 'back roads', the 700 will be more rewarding to ride; for fast highways, you'll get more thrills on the 900. Going from a 300 to the 900 is quite a jump - possibly a leap too far?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I traded my XJR1300Racer for the XSR700 and never looked back love the nimble and quick bike!
Tested the MT09 tracer when the bike was at service had it for 2 days and we did not bond at all.
And the sound of the CP2 engine is amazing!
And the 75hp feels like 95ish :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcomes.

So, if you plan on mostly riding highway trips outside the city, I'd consider the 900, but if you're riding primarily in the city, I'd say just stick to the 700, it'll be easier and more fun to ride.
I plan on using this outside of the city for long rides, which is why I'm going for something that has an upright seating position. The roads in NJ / upstate NY are sometimes empty, and I can easily get to 90mph without noticing. My current 300 starts vibrating uncomfortably at 75mph (~9k rpm, 6th gear), which I don't like. So two of my concerns for my next bike are:
- Can it run at 90mph with ease (~6k rpms)? I would rarely go above that.
- I read that some users say that there'd be too much wind above 70mph, is that the case, or is 90mph pretty reasonable? FYI I'd probably be mostly riding in the 75mph to 85mph range.

Going from a 300 to the 900 is quite a jump - possibly a leap too far?
Yeah, I thought about this. My brother has a 500 and I've tried it before - its definitely faster than my 300, but I didn't think it was fast enough either. But this is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the 700; 900 seems a bit overkill. I'm mostly worried about accidental wheelies - but I figure that it may also be a problem on the 700 too? Then again, I read that the 900 has 3 modes - maybe I'd use the beginner mode until I got comfortable, then moving to a more difficult mode later.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcomes.

I plan on using this outside of the city for long rides, which is why I'm going for something that has an upright seating position. The roads in NJ / upstate NY are sometimes empty, and I can easily get to 90mph without noticing. My current 300 starts vibrating uncomfortably at 75mph (~9k rpm, 6th gear), which I don't like. So two of my concerns for my next bike are:
- Can it run at 90mph with ease (~6k rpms)? I would rarely go above that.
- I read that some users say that there'd be too much wind above 70mph, is that the case, or is 90mph pretty reasonable? FYI I'd probably be mostly riding in the 75mph to 85mph range.

Going from a 300 to the 900 is quite a jump - possibly a leap too far?
Yeah, I thought about this. My brother has a 500 and I've tried it before - its definitely faster than my 300, but I didn't think it was fast enough either. But this is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the 700; 900 seems a bit overkill. I'm mostly worried about accidental wheelies - but I figure that it may also be a problem on the 700 too? Then again, I read that the 900 has 3 modes - maybe I'd use the beginner mode until I got comfortable, then moving to a more difficult mode later.
Xsr700, definitely. They both have lots of wind, and for a while I was looking at options for a windscreen, but honestly I've stopped noticing it, and I ride 100mph when no cops are around. The bike is comfortable at all speeds, it just runs out of 'go' at 100+ (115 downhill). The 900 goes faster but still doesnt have a windscreen, and has a computer trying to guess how you want to ride, whereas the 700 still has a throttle cable actuating the throttle body. They will both wheelie but the 700 is more tame and I trust a cable more than a computer. Also, maybe inversely, the 900 is made for shorter legs and my knees didnt fit in the tank cutouts!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Xsr700, definitely. They both have lots of wind, and for a while I was looking at options for a windscreen, but honestly I've stopped noticing it, and I ride 100mph when no cops are around. The bike is comfortable at all speeds, it just runs out of 'go' at 100+ (115 downhill). The 900 goes faster but still doesnt have a windscreen, and has a computer trying to guess how you want to ride, whereas the 700 still has a throttle cable actuating the throttle body. They will both wheelie but the 700 is more tame and I trust a cable more than a computer. Also, maybe inversely, the 900 is made for shorter legs and my knees didnt fit in the tank cutouts!
The 700 is a very good Bike, I owned an FZ07, then an FZ09, next a Bolt and now I'm back to the XSR 700. Al of those were good bikes but the XSR just seemed to fit my character and riding style a bit better and I admire the style of the XSR, having owned an XS650 years ago. The whole thing is a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
218 Posts
...convince me - hihi, wei o wei should we do so, welcome to the forum blitzko?

In my opinion, the XSR700 is fast enough for everything. And in comparison to a XSR900, both bikes are naked and on both bikes it will get windy with higher speeds. But you can used to it.
My wife is owning a MT-09 (or FZ-09) it is speed cut at about 210 km/h. I do not know wether this is done with the XSR900 as well. Sometimes, when we had too much curves and twisty roads on our weekend trips, we take a blast on the Autobahn for our trip back home.
There is not much difference between us, when we rush around 200 km/h and above.

So as said, the XSR700 is fast enough. And when it comes to curves and twisties the 700 is a beast, a weapon, a real winner...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike is comfortable at all speeds, it just runs out of 'go' at 100+ (115 downhill).
This is what I wanted to hear!

So as said, the XSR700 is fast enough. And when it comes to curves and twisties the 700 is a beast, a weapon, a real winner...
Also great to hear!

I'm probably gonna settle for the XSR700 then... I guess it wasn't hard to convince me. I'll be updating this thread with more details of how the bike buying process goes.

I got an insurance quote using a random VIN number of an XSR700 I saw online. I currently pay about ~$600/yr for my Ninja300 and its only ~$800/yr! Looking good so far...

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is what I wanted to hear!

Also great to hear!

I'm probably gonna settle for the XSR700 then... I guess it wasn't hard to convince me. I'll be updating this thread with more details of how the bike buying process goes.

I got an insurance quote using a random VIN number of an XSR700 I saw online. I currently pay about ~$600/yr for my Ninja300 and its only ~$800/yr! Looking good so far...
Shop Around. I'm paying ~600 a year, -100 for every year with no claim with allstate. Harley also had a very cometitive offer. This is with fairly comprehensive bike+farkle insurance

·
Banned
4 Posts
I say do it! They are a great ride, handle well, and go as fast as you would ever need to go.

Plus it's a great buy at an even better price point... for a bigenner or an experienced rider. My 2 cents anyways!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think this machine is just about perfect for spirited street riding. The engine is fantastic. Honestly, in terms of fun while riding, it blows away my R6 on the street because I can ride it at reasonable speeds and still have fun. On a sportbike I feel like I have a target on my back every time I ride, because to open it up would mean breaking the law. I think a problem with a lot of bikes is that they are too powerful, you need a computer to keep it in-check just to ride the thing and miss out on being able to just crank on. It. The XSR700 has a direct link for the throttle and plenty of power for the street, while still being very easy to ride. It power wheelies 1st and 2nd gear on it's own and easily pulls 3rd gear wheelies. FZ07 if you want something that looks sportier or the XSR700, you can't go wrong.... I love this bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have considered both the 700 and 900, but I've settled on the 700 for all the reasons stated above. Plus, I think it looks better. The 900 engine area looks too crowded, and the lines of the 700 flow better, and the seat is flatter. I can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The price says it all!
Why do you think the 900 is close to the 700?
They dont sell as easy as the lovley 700. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts