XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows a good resource for finding a complete list of tools and diagnostic equipment needed to do all routine maintenance on the xsr700? I looked around for existing forums but didn’t see anything. I’m sure I could put the list together myself, but hoping for an existing one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have a quick Google search for B34-F8197-E0 Its a service manual pdf which has got a Special Tools List in it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The majority of tools needed for this bike's maintenance are regular tools most people who tinker should already have and many of the tools they list can be substituted for others that are close or easily made by a handyman. The piston ring compressor for example will rarely need to be used unless you have the bike for a very long time or have a problem that is almost never seen (the need to replace a piston). In all my years of riding I've only had to replace two pistons and they were on Two-strokes back in the 70's. I'd get only what really needs to be used and then when that time comes which probably will be a long time from now. I bought a valve spring compressor for a 1978 Kawasaki 650 because I was doing a big bore kit, used it once and it's been sitting in the tool box ever since. It would probably work for several other similar bikes but I've never had to use it since about 1981.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Could anyone elaborate on the socket sizes needed for general maintenance? Just going to invest in the bits I specifically need at this stage I think.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
328 Posts
You should be able to get a pretty comprehensive set from Lowes or home depot for less than $50 bucks that would cover 90% of everything on the bike minus maybe the rear axle nut and you could take a measurement of any of the larger bolt or nuts and get those individually. How many tools do you already have? Any?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You should be able to get a pretty comprehensive set from Lowes or home depot for less than $50 bucks that would cover 90% of everything on the bike minus maybe the rear axle nut and you could take a measurement of any of the larger bolt or nuts and get those individually. How many tools do you already have? Any?
No I'm basically starting from scratch as I haven't had any need for them up until now!

·
Registered
328 Posts
No I'm basically starting from scratch as I haven't had any need for them up until now!
What I would advise to get is a service manual and a genuine Yamaha manual not a Clymer or that sort of cheap way out. And I wouldn't bother with some downloadable one either. Get the real deal can study it and make your own notes. You'd be glad you did and can refer to special things you'll come across during your journey with the vehicle. Having a forum like this one to fall back on is always helpful but a good manual will have information that you will be able to refer to long after everyone on here is long gone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What I would advise to get is a service manual and a genuine Yamaha manual not a Clymer or that sort of cheap way out. And I wouldn't bother with some downloadable one either. Get the real deal can study it and make your own notes. You'd be glad you did and can refer to special things you'll come across during your journey with the vehicle. Having a forum like this one to fall back on is always helpful but a good manual will have information that you will be able to refer to long after everyone on here is long gone.
Very true, thanks for the advice! :smile2:

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are in the U.S. take a look at Harbor Freight, hand tools are pretty decent for a motorcycle. Get a set of metric combination wrenches, a set of 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets deep and standard, and I understand their composite ratchets are really nice too. Get a magazine coupon and pick up one of their 3/8 drive torque wrenches for around $10, too. Car Craft did a test of torque wrenches and found the HF tool was on par with the best. Their screwdriver sets are decent. Eventually pick up a 1/2 torque wrench for stuff like axles. They warranty their tools for life and from what I've read in ADVrider they stand behind that warranty. You can do most everything I mentioned and be under $200 I believe.

If you buy a torque wrench remember you must turn it back to lowest setting to maintain accuracy. Car Craft left theirs at setting for a month and lost around 10% accuracy. That holds true with the best of torque wrenches. The spring mechanism fatigues.

Go big if you have a place for it, buy one of the motorcycle lift platforms for $299, one of the best buys I've done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts