XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has an opinion on the solo saddle versus the stock one? More comfortable, less comfortable, or same. I like the idea and think it will look better for the most part. I don't really care for the look of the stock seat at the back.

I won't be riding double and figure the stock can always be reinstalled if I wanted to throw on the soft bags I have when I go for a longer run. So at around a hundred it isn't a bad buy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hoi,

I changed to the Yamaha single seat more than 30 tkm ago. It is firmer than the stock seat. This means it is more comfortable on longer rides, for my butt.
You gain some seating height, it is not much, a centimeter or two.

But the best, I love the look. I also attached the Yamaha little rack to close the gap behind the seat. For a weekend trip it builds suitable space to strap on a soft bag or roll. In total, very fine for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought the stock seat was like a pine board. So, I got the solo seat ($105 new on ebay, on make offer), which I believe is like an oak board (harder). But, all of our rear ends are different, just my feeling. I got mine reupholstered with a bit less firm foam, and now all is well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me the stock seat was too soft. The solo seat, while not perfect, is more comfortable on longer trips. The foam in the solo seems to be a memory foam type. I also prefer the look of the solo, and the ability to add the OEM accessory rack behind it.

I also didn't care for the slippery top of the stock seat. The solo has a suede-like texture. The solo seat ended up being the single most important upgrade on my bike to improve the feel.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I rode for 10K km on the stock and found it OK but I wanted a better (recessed) platform for an everyday small rear bag, and then larger ones on top of that for multi-day trips.

ready for a swim by gnarlydog, on Flickr

The solo is stiffer when new then softened up a few K later. I just wish for a flatter seat at the shape of the stock and solo tent to push me against the tank. Maybe one day I get sick of that and reshape it by adding a bit of height too

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's a pretty cool picture. More art than a shot of a motorcycle. Keeps drawing my eyes into it.
Thank you. The image was taken with an adapted vintage lens (onto a digital camera) that creates a bit of an unusual background blur (bokeh).

·
Registered
14 Posts
@gnarlydog, you are making breathtaking pictures! Yamaha should pay you for that. :) Can you post me a full HD resolution, so I can use it as a wallpaper. I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Update.
I have since shaved the rear "hump" on the single seat to have it flatter so I can move around on long rides and prevent a sore butt.
To make things even better I have put a mesh cover over the OEM vinyl finish and a bit of open-cell foam underneath for more cushioning.
The mesh allows for air flow on hot summer days and keeps the butt dry and comfortable

DEC20_DVM12724 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did pick up a solo saddle and it is really comfortable for me, much more so than the stock seat.

I do like the ability to swap out seats with a twist of the key. I picked up a C-Racer flat track seat/tail as well. Still need to do some bodywork on it to smooth out the surface, then either paint or wrap it.

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
I tried the solo seat but found it a bit too firm for me...it made a fairly harsh ride just that bit too harsh! I ended up with the XTribute seat which is thicker than the OEM and has a flatter profile. (It's still for sale in the classifieds section if anyone's interested!)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I tried the solo seat but found it a bit too firm for me...it made a fairly harsh ride just that bit too harsh! I ended up with the XTribute seat which is thicker than the OEM and has a flatter profile. (It's still for sale in the classifieds section if anyone's interested!)
I did the same, love the Xtribute seat for any distance and still use the original on short runs as prefer the looks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts