XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was curious if the clutch on these bikes engages at the very end as you are letting the handle out or if it’s something odd with my specific bike. Every other motorcycle I’ve owned engaged as soon as I started to let the handle out. It’s proving difficult to get used to this one. I like it for shifting since I don’t have to pull in the handle all the way in to disengage the clutch but when taking off from a stop I tend to over rev forgetting that I have to let the handle out almost all the way. Just wondering if this is normal. Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
This seems to be normal for this bike. I've seen many complaints about it. I think some of us are spoiled by Honda, Kawasaki, Guzzi et al, as they have easy clutches that we don't even notice because they work so comfortably. When we get a bike like the XSR, we think something may be wrong. They are just different. Every time I go back and forth from my Honda, I have to relearn the difference (like the horn and turn signal switches). I did put on a Vortex adjustable clutch lever, and it helped a bit. I hate the initial 1st gear clunk, and now put it in gear before I start it. BTW, I've been riding over 55 years.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think mine is pretty normal, although all bikes are slightly different. I would ask, how much free-play do you have at the handle? The engagement point can be modified a bit by the free-play in the handle so you might want to work with that a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think mine is pretty normal, although all bikes are slightly different. I would ask, how much free-play do you have at the handle? The engagement point can be modified a bit by the free-play in the handle so you might want to work with that a bit.
I have always felt like there was hardly any free play in the handle since I got my bike from the dealer. After reading the manual it states between 5-10mm of freeplay which doesn’t seem like much. I’ll have to double check it tonight. My question is, if you have more free play, will the clutch engage closer to the handlebars or is it opposite?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have always felt like there was hardly any free play in the handle since I got my bike from the dealer. After reading the manual it states between 5-10mm of freeplay which doesn’t seem like much. I’ll have to double check it tonight. My question is, if you have more free play, will the clutch engage closer to the handlebars or is it opposite?
free play means just that: free play and no engagement.
Turn that in-line knurled knob at the lever in a bit (righty tighty) towards the lever to allow a bit of play in the lever and letting the clutch engage a bit earlier on release of lever.
Suddenly the clutch will engage earlier. Job done :smile2:
Happy riding

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
free play means just that: free play and no engagement.
Turn that in-line knurled knob at the lever in a bit (righty tighty) towards the lever to allow a bit of play in the lever and letting the clutch engage a bit earlier on release of lever.
Suddenly the clutch will engage earlier. Job done /forum/images/XSR700Forums/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Happy riding
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, I was curious if the clutch on these bikes engages at the very end as you are letting the handle out or if it’s something odd with my specific bike. Every other motorcycle I’ve owned engaged as soon as I started to let the handle out. It’s proving difficult to get used to this one. I like it for shifting since I don’t have to pull in the handle all the way in to disengage the clutch but when taking off from a stop I tend to over rev forgetting that I have to let the handle out almost all the way. Just wondering if this is normal. Thanks!

I was wondering the exact same thing. I also own a Suzuki DRZ400SM that I rode for 5 years and now I mainly ride the XSR and during take off it just feels like I'm riding the clutch. The friction point is so far out, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad I found this post. My friend and I were wondering about this with my 2018 as we took turns to compare against his Ninja 400 and from what I recall from the CBR I used during my safety course. I need to check the free play still on mine as well, but it just seemed like the friction zone is way out at the end of the lever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts